IGNORED

Final drive seepage?

Scoobisteve

Scoobisteve

Noticed this after a dusty ride the other day...I changed the final drive oil a couple of weeks ago, but it seems to be escaping little by little...

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scoobisteve said:

Noticed this after a dusty ride the other day...I changed the final drive oil a couple of weeks ago, but it seems to be escaping little by little...

Afternoon Scoobisteve

That leakage looks awful high to be all from a final drive leak.

Make sure that you don't have an engine or transmission leak that is allowing oil to blow back on the final drive.

Otherwise clean the drive up squeaky clean then keep an eye on it after every ride. 

Any signs of oil dripping on the rear wheel rim after a ride?

How much gear oil did you put in the drive?

Scoobisteve

it didn't take much...I took off the tire and changed it like like the manual says...just lowered the drive to drain, then put it back together and filled it up even with the hole...didn't notice any oil behind the boot when I did so...

36 minutes ago, Scoobisteve said:

filled it up even with the hole.

Is that too much.

I think there's a specific amount that goes in, not to the bottom of the hole as a measurement,......I could be wrong.  Too much could cause too much pressure,.....I think

10 hours ago, Scoobisteve said:

it didn't take much...I took off the tire and changed it like like the manual says...just lowered the drive to drain, then put it back together and filled it up even with the hole...didn't notice any oil behind the boot when I did so...

Morning Scoobisteve

You probably put too much gear oil in. That (early) 2005 final drive was designed around a higher oil fill but later BMW came out with a service bulletin to reduce the fill amount to 180cc. So you need to fill by a specific volume not to the bottom of the hole. (bottom of hole will over-fill it).

Drain it overnight (drain hole straight down) then add exactly 180 cc of gear oil.