IGNORED

Final drive service after 100,000 miles

hefy_jefy

I pass this on as my personal experience your results may differ.

Bike is a 2014 R1200RTW owned from new and is coming up for 100,000 miles, all servicing done my me except the first two (warranty).

A common check is of the final drive splines and I decided it would be worth it just for peace of mind.  The excellent video by Boxflyer is essential guidance.

The hardest part is separating the rubber accordion from the paralever end and I fear I may have damaged the rubber even using a special wooden tool I made for the purpose.

I had the same problem as Boxflyer describes with the driveshaft coming out of the gearbox, you MUST get that back before attemptoing to drop the final drive casing, otherwise the spline will not separate.

After all said and done the spline was fine, some of the original grease was still evident (see image).

So my advice is unless you have reason to think the rubber accordion is damaged or if you have done a lot of off roading riding through floods or maybe the bike is second hand and you don't know its history this job may not be necessary.

Don't quote me.

Geoff

CV_joint.JPG

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1

Cool! I have 87,000 miles to go. (Don't tell BF :))

Actually, I'll probably take a peek in every other tire change until I learn what to expect with my bike.