IGNORED

Side Stand Switch Detail

dduelin

A week ago I started this thread concerning a roadside breakdown that I believed to be ignition related. Now I do not believe it was. Further investigation revealed the bike would start in gear with the side stand down and further something would randomly cut the engine off when riding then prevent a restart when the bike was in gear and clutch pulled in. When I attempted to restart after this latter fault occurs the bike would start in neutral but when a gear was engaged the engine would be cut, just like the side stand was down but it wasn’t. 

I got up close to the side stand switch and saw that the retaining circlips were missing and the switch was loosely in position, actually a small push and it disconnected itself from the pin it rotates on and the switch dangled. I slipped it back into position and it test functions normally again. I have the switch type that is retained by a washer and two circlips of course these were missing. I obtained the three parts - washer 904427, lock ring 903479, and retainer 708016 from a dealer but here’s the rub. There seems to be only enough length of pin to use the washer and the lock ring. The pin that locates the switch has a groove machined in the tip to receive the lock ring but it’s not long enough to clip both the lock ring and retainer in place. The lock ring is part #3 in the parts fiche picture below - no room for part # 4 the retainer. Only one clip fits the height of pin. I can rock the switch on the pin but it’s definitively hard against the side stand when the switch is pressed down trying to get more of the pin to stand proud of the washer. The switch seems secured in place but only using one clip is not indicated in the parts fiche. I don’t have the digital manual to look at. A video: https://youtube.com/shorts/_MThTm-8SpQ?feature=share

After securing the switch I plugged in the GS-911 and found the 10111 Side Stand Switch The Fault Is Currently Present came back after I cleared it last week. I cleared the code again and started the bike numerous times in various configurations of stand up/down in gear/out of gear and it all functioned normally and the code did not reappear.

If you have a hexhead does your switch have two clips on it and does it have similar rocking play?

Thanks

7D157819-F0C4-479A-82DD-F33742AD3CB9.jpeg

481BD19C-607E-4B93-9AAF-522AA1806711.jpeg

Getting on in years..... I forgot about the 2020 Side Stand thread. Maybe mine had only one clip on it the last 3 years and 50,000 miles.

8 hours ago, dduelin said:

Getting on in years..... I forgot about the 2020 Side Stand thread. Maybe mine had only one clip on it the last 3 years and 50,000 miles.

Morning Dave

This one is difficult to totally define. 

My 2009 1200RT came from the factory with the larger washer & only one "C" clip,  I have worked on other hexheads (pretty sure were still stock) that only had the larger washer & a single "C" clip. 

BUT____ The later camhead service manual shows that 2nd "C" clip being used (looks like a change in the camhead production) that is now being used on the hexhead as a service update when/if the that area is serviced.  

The parts manual shows that second "C" clip (probably added to the hexhead  parts diagram later to allow the side stand switch to be retained tighter). I think (IF) that 2nd "C" clip is used it won't fit in the pin slot so it was probably used as a spacer washer over the larger washer. The tighter the spacer (that 2nd "C" clip) fits under the retaining "C" clip the less chance that large washer can then push it at an angle & unseat it.

My BMW hexhead service manual only shows that one larger washer & one "C" clip so who knows. It's probable that BMW added that 2nd "C" clip as a spacer after end of production (service only) as a service-only thing to try to tighten up the switch lateral movement & prevent the large washer from unseating the retaining "C" clip. 

This is one of those things that IF you can get that #3 clip on the stud (not IN the groove but under the groove ) & under the retaining "C" clip that goes in the groove then use it (basically just use it as a thin spacer washer).

I have seen a few of the "C" clips come loose over the years  but basically only after someone has removed then re-installed it. Those little "C" clip devils are difficult to remove without prying them open, or distorting the ears, so when reinstalled it doesn't fit correctly.  

Make sure that your retaining "C" clip is flat (not bent or twisted from the removal process) then I usually use a pair of pliers & squeeze the clip to a little smaller diameter, THEN re-install without distorting, bending, or forcing open farther than absolutely needed. 

• Thanks 1
  • chrisolson changed the title to Side Stand Switch Detail

On my 06 RT I can only see a large washer under the circlip (C clip) As far as I know this is original as it never been taken apart unless a clutch change would have forced it to be removed. Anyway no double washer. 

H