IGNORED

I am Thinking of selling my 2016 Ebony R1200RTW.

waltroman

I am looking at a 1978 R100RS. I know it is Crazy. My bike has a little less than 14,000 miles and has all options minus keyless start. Any Idea what it is worth? Brand new PR6GT's last week. 

I paid $14,000 for my 2017 RT with top box but (without audio, nav or keyless,) and 6,014 miles on the clock. Dealer included new PR6GT's and the 6,000 mile service as well.

Hope that helps.

Riding a vintage machine has its beauty, I still have my '99 Oilhead and when I ride it the sense of a simpler machine with an analog feel VS my Wethead is enjoyable.  I fondly remember the rides on my 1971 R75/5 too. That said, If you don't have to sell the '14 to get the '78 and have the space in the garage for two toys then why not have the new and old choice at your finger tips.  For sure nostalgia is a powerfully good feeling. For me all that fades to fond memories when I take the Wethead out for a ride. Smoother, faster, better handling, and enough power to fully satisfy me when riding frisky. A ride that is more refined in every way.   But then again my tag line sums up my opinion on this.

• Like 2

I can't be very helpful in this area. Among my nine bikes are a 1982 R100 and a 2015 R1200RT. The R100 is enjoyable and entertaining, but cannot compare favorably in any objective way with the R1200RT. If for some reason I had to have only one of the two, I know which one would go down the road . . .

• Like 1

I got so busy at work yesterday I was not able to pay attention the auction close for a blue and silver 1978 R100RS that sold for $6,900.00 and had 22K on the clock.  C'est la vie.

• 2 weeks later...

THE 2017 THAT i just bought has all the options and top box color matcher with 18000 miles and new Pilot Road ^ GTs for $13000

2017 RT.jpg

• Like 2
21 hours ago, shooter009 said:

THE 2017 THAT i just bought has all the options and top box color matcher with 18000 miles and new Pilot Road ^ GTs for $13000

From what I've seen lately, that's a very good price for a 2017 with that mileage.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would add some recent observations. I do not want to get into tire/oil debates but the Michelin Road 6 tires are really to my liking and seem to be a better match for my riding. I like the bike much more and the bike just seems to be demand less attention to ride. My problem with buying a vintage bike is I start to think about doing all the latest mods and going down the complete restoration path; alternator, starter, big bore kit, transmission 1'st and 5'th gear changes, suspension.... The R1200RT immune to much of this nonsense.

• Like 2

I always prefer riding over wrenching. If with little modifications you can get along with your WetHead RT, why not ride it as long as you can and eventually it will also be a vintage bike. Then you can rebuild it for another generation. 

• Like 1
On 8/5/2023 at 7:30 AM, waltroman said:

I am looking at a 1978 R100RS. I know it is Crazy. My bike has a little less than 14,000 miles and has all options minus keyless start. Any Idea what it is worth? Brand new PR6GT's last week. 

top case?  pix?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 2016 in June this year.  Same as shooter009's (pictured above) but with 11,000 miles.   Paid $12,000.  Best bike I ever had.