IGNORED

Which Tire Pressure Gauge to Believe?

Paddler

On 8/9/2023 at 11:46 AM, Hosstage said:

I have a few stories of tires, pressure, failures that only nerds would care about, but had a friend go off road on a curve, luckily not hurt, bike was rideable but totalled.

Looking at it when we got it home, I see the tires, check the air. Front, 17 pounds, rear 18 pounds. I said these should be at least 32 and 36, when's the last time you checked?

Last spring.

As in last year last spring?

Yes.

Well, that's why you went flying. Please check the tires on your new bike more often.

So one day we ride, he checks his tires when we park, starts letting air out.

What are you doing?

Bringing them back down to 36.

No! Just check in the morning and you're good to go. Don't adjust hot unless they're low.

Kids. You can lead them to water, but it's a struggle to teach them about bike maintenance.

In 1997 , riding my 81 r80rt in the spring,  I hadn't checked the tire pressure. On a left slow speed merge curve with a curb, I hit the curb and bounced back onto the road when the bike wouldn't turn. I swear the low center of gravity saved me, and I vowed to myself,  to always ride a boxer. I have. 

The front tire pressure was low. My own fault. I learned me lesson that day. I have 5 or so guages and check them against each other.  I check my pressre on the r1250 regularly,  and whatever the display says on the bike, I monitor it for deflation. 

In a pinch, I always at least kick the tires stoutly and I have a "feel," for how firm they should be. 

Tires and brakes are the most important mission critical components on the bike, to me.

2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

My oil pressure reads 32psi at speed, but my buddie's exact same bike says 34psi at the same speed. Why is my oil pressure low and do I need to tear my motor down to fix it? .......

Absolutely tear it apart. We want photos as well!

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • 2 weeks later...

BMW TPMS is crap if used as a 'gauge', since due to their convoluted internal adjustments, it never seems consistent. Plus you should always consider where you're going, and set cold tire pressures accordingly. I personally go somewhere in the middle of that range, to avoid having to adjust tire pressures at my destination. At any rate, you should never rely on ANT TPMS system to adjust your tire pressures (and that's clearly stated on every owner's manual, including the R1250R's); always use a calibrated (or known to be accurate) tire pressure gauge, and check/adjust your tire pressures before every ride. And let the TPMS system just for alerts in case of a flat, which is exactly what its purpose is. And yes, due to sometimes being off by as much as 6 psi, you  need to adjust your tire pressures pretty close to the 36/42 recommendation, if you don't want a TPMS warning on a cool morning. I was getting a warning at 33, so you have to put it above that. I use 36/40 now (I ride solo only), and zero issues. I always used 33/36 in the past, but were lighter bikes. I'm not sure if this bike would have better grip at 34 or 35, but unless somebody reports on that, will keep using 36/40.