IGNORED

TPMS failure - 2013 R1200RT

MontanaMark

MontanaMark

A couple of days ago, on a return from a cross-country trip, my TPMS sensor in the front tire started to fail.  It was intermittent; it would work fine for a while, then would not display when I clicked the 'info' button through the options.  Then the dreaded 'yellow alert triangle' would show on the dash and the tire icon would display.  When I stopped for gas, it would seem to reset or not, depending on I don't know what.  Or even while riding, the alert triangle would go out and all would be well with the sensor.

I guess the question would be: on a 10 year old bike, with 62k, would the battery on the sensor just be wearing out?  Any thing else that could cause this issue?

Eventually the internal battery dies. There is a lot of content around on replacing the non-replaceable battery, the outrageous price for new sensors from BMW and how the style has changed from that in your bike, buying cheap new sensors from China, or buying new Schrader OEM quality sensors. Also a lot of content on how to have the bike learn the new sensor IDs or how to teach the RDC the new IDs using a GS-911 or Motoscan.