IGNORED

R1200GSA Short Rider. 2013-2017

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

I have a 2004 R1150RT and love it, for last 12 years. However there is a 2015 R1200RT for sale.

I am 5'7" with 29.5" inseam. Frankly if I was to buy new I for a "adventure bike" I would give the KTM a look but the seat is sky high.  I am comfortable on the RT. Flat footing R & L at same time not possible. but with butt cheek slightly over I can flat foot one foot.

My R1150RT is a 317." saddle. The R1200RT is 32.5" on paper. I really like the cruise control, wet clutch and other improvements. Frankly I am likely to do more street or logging road or gravel roads that a RT can handle. I see R1200RT's much less than the GS's.....

ADVICE REQUESTED.... For the money, features the 2013 to 2017 seems to bee the sweet spot in value. Correct me if I am wrong. Clearly my R1150RT is still a great bike. I LOVE being able to adjust valves easily. I do have throttle lock but no cruise control. The GS being 11 yrs newer, has electronic cruise, electronic suspension, wet clutch, all very attractive.

I don't have room for two bikes so "Fritz" the 2004 RT would have to go. I have over 46K on Fritz so I assume (could be wrong) spline failure worry is past? I just spend about $1000 on Fritz for new fuel pump, filter, complete servicing top to bottom, new break lines, pads, fresh tires Pilot II's. on and on.... It rides so nice. 

I may end up cooling my heals ride the R1150RT another year.   Anyway talk me IN-TO or OUT-OF buying a new (used) 2015 GS.... 

The wetheads are better in every way except for looks of the 1150RTs which were one of the Motorrad's best efforts.  I am biased, 2004 RT was a lemon that BMW NA bought back but even still there is not a comparison performance wise between the two model years.  Wetheads have proven to be close to bullet proof but there are a couple of recalls on the 2015 model year that should have been completed.  Buy it, ride it to FART, and have Boxflyer walk you through the 12000 maintenance.  

• Like 3

I just switched to a 2014, then a 2019 r1200/1250 rt, after riding an or1150rt since 2008. I really loved the 02 and carved it well in the wisconsin driftless corner. The new RTs are simply an amazing difference. Flickable, compared to the 02, 1150.

With all the up to date safety features on the new ones, and the wife's approval, I couldn't say no.

• Like 1
gmcjetpilot

Great info. Good to know the water heads are reliable.

Typo in text was R1200RT... per title thinking of a R1200GSA.

The 2004 R1150RT is pretty but taking the Tupperware off for maintenance is getting old. The later RT's are better bikes but not as good looking IMHO.

I saw the 2015 R1200GSA for sale locally today.  it's well used, 38000 miles. He bought it to drive from USA to Argentina. Owned it one year and selling. It was dirty but seemed sound. Looking at Cycle Trader lots if bikes to choose from. So no rush.

I can get a water head RT for less than a wet head GSA. The adventure bikes seem to hold value a bit better.

Yes the GSA is tall. I will need new seat w/ minimum thickness. Not sure but it has active electronic which can be set low helping out a bit... not sure. It is about 1" to 2" taller than my 2004 R1150RT, which is good for me, but still can't flat foot both sides, but can flat foot one side (which I'm comfortable with).. The GSA I am tippy toe one side. 

The seat height is the big issue. I think I should look for a used one set up for short rider... 

Keep the advice coming...

gmcjetpilot
On 8/4/2023 at 8:43 PM, Rougarou said:

Even a low suspension GSA and my 30” inseam, im tip toing

Thanks.... YEP... I have to be realistic. I think the R1200GSA is too tall for me  all even with factory lowered, aftermarket seat.... etc....  Yep I am 29.5" inseam now (I am shrinking). Could I ride it? Yes sure. However it will be a compromise.

I mounted  that sock R120GSA and felt like a little kid trying on dads suit coat. It is one thing not to flat foot both feet, but to be tippy toe one foot to keep bike upright is kind of awkward, doable but awkward.  I don't have an issue losing 1-1.5" ground clearance and suspension with lowered suspension, but even then it is still tall. I am not  getting any taller. 

I am holding off for now. I LOVE my old "Fritz" R1150RT. It is a sweet ride. Sure electronic cruise nice. Better ABS, Suspension and more powerful engine.... on and on.  You can get R1200RT for much less than a GSA.... and I would get a lot of magic and have a 11 yr newer bike. 

There are other touring bikes that do the dirt as well. KTM makes a sick bike but those saddles are even higher than the BMW GSA....   

10 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

Thanks.... YEP... I have to be realistic. I think the R1200GSA is too tall for me  all even with factory lowered, aftermarket seat.... etc....  Yep I am 29.5" inseam now (I am shrinking). Could I ride it? Yes sure. However it will be a compromise.

I mounted  that sock R120GSA and felt like a little kid trying on dads suit coat. It is one thing not to flat foot both feet, but to be tippy toe one foot to keep bike upright is kind of awkward, doable but awkward.  I don't have an issue losing 1-1.5" ground clearance and suspension with lowered suspension, but even then it is still tall. I am not  getting any taller. 

I am holding off for now. I LOVE my old "Fritz" R1150RT. It is a sweet ride. Sure electronic cruise nice. Better ABS, Suspension and more powerful engine.... on and on.  You can get R1200RT for much less than a GSA.... and I would get a lot of magic and have a 11 yr newer bike. 

There are other touring bikes that do the dirt as well. KTM makes a sick bike but those saddles are even higher than the BMW GSA....   

Did you try side saddling it when you stop?  Slide to the side your leg is down placing your thigh on the seat.  Works great.  Bike balances easily this way.  Easy to remount when you take off.

One toe one cheek and you are stable.

Here's a couple of vertically challenged folks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips.... I haven seen all the short rider videos on YouTube Some of them are helpful. I have been riding so long and have been using those techniques for some time. However there are some tips I will not do. 

One is the mounting and dismounting with bike moving. IF I HAVE TO DO THAT. to ride the bike... no. As an additional skill and technique cool. I did that as kid on my bicycle half a century ago. I have done it on my dirt bikes back in the day..... It is fun and looks cook. On the daily mounting and dismounting +500lb motorcycle moving? Not for me. It is not necessary. However it is a good skill to practice.

Standing on the peg to mount the bike vs standing on the ground? I have no big issue throwing a leg over, little awkward some times,, but doable (if I did my stretching exercises that day. I find standing on the peg makes it easier, but it depends on bike, side stand strength, ground surface hard/soft/flat/slope. Again if I can not get my leg over the seat standing on level ground.... the bike is too tall.  I am fairly flexible bit not as much as when I was younger. This is a good reason to exercise and stretch. 

My conclusion you can cut any bikes seat down and get after market suspension lowering on most bikes.... You can get lowering links or shorter shock springs. All of this may be compromise in comfort and possibly bike handling. Some bikes are not ideal for short riders and can't be modified easily or practically.

Bottom line I can ride the R1200GSA or R1250GS Trophy with lowered suspension and the low split seat (not rally set). Now the question is do I want to? It is a big bike to ride off road. The mid size 800-1000cc bikes offer a lot of the same performance, tech in lighter package.. However many MID SIDE ADV pikes are as TALL or TALLER  than the BMW R1200/1250GSA. Many bikes that have factory lower set ups or can be lowered without too much compromise.  I even through a leg over the HD Pan American and it can get down to 31.4" with Elec Suspension in the low mode. Pretty cool. Not sure I want a HD but hey may be... It is loaded with tech, traction control, cruise control, highly config TFT display... all the bells and whistles, plus 150HP Revolution Max engine... 

If I got a Tiger 900 (Triumph) I would want the Rally Pro. That does not come in a lower factor model like the 900GT. However this lady figured it out.

https://advtravelbug.com/this-is-my-lowered-tiger-900-rally-pro/

There are many blogs and  videos on the lower ADV bike models. However the premium ADV bikes tend to all be tall....

On 8/7/2023 at 8:37 AM, TSConver said:

Did you try side saddling it when you stop?  Slide to the side your leg is down placing your thigh on the seat.  Works great.  Bike balances easily this way.  Easy to remount when you take off.

Yes Sir.... This 2015 R1200GSA was standard height. I got on it with side stand. I stood it up and balanced it. I could physically ride it... but since it was a Pvt sale and did not have my gear I did not even ask to ride it (frankly it was a little beat, dubious history, and the guy was condescending). 

For my personal preference I need to be on the seat, even if slightly scooted over and have a firm footing on the ground, even if heal is slightly up.  However the GSA I was tippy toe one foot and as far off the saddle as I wanted to go. The seat was adjusted to the lower position but that is not much. It is the rally seat that is so thick. I had the seat in my hand and there was at least 4 inches of padding. So you can remove 2". You can also put in higher quality  temper foam.... so you can maintain some comfort. I ride bicycles.  Road bicycle seats are not super comfortable and can ride them for a few hours. 

Thanks for all the help... I think I have to just sit on bikes, test ride as many as I can. I am riding "Fritz"my 2004 R1150RT, 2000 miles end of Sept and going to the Riders Assoc Rally in WV., Blue Ride Pkwy.... and much more (13 days).  I will be able to look at lots of bikes. I just don't want to make a mistake.... I want to get a bike I LOVE not tolerate. 

• Like 1

A low GS with a low saddle is the ticket. 

I was not looking.  A friend totaled his bike in front of me.  So I rode along with him. 

We went to Hermys and while he was looking around, I sat on a 17.5 low GS.  Well the 15 RT was never more my bike. 

I fell in love with being able to put both feet down flat in about 30 seconds.  Now I do not ride or stop that way.  I put left foot down, right foot on rear brake.  Always have ridden that way.

But being able to is something that just makes a huge difference to me when moving a 550 lb bike around.  Duck walking backwards, gravel parking, slope parking, just a bunch of times it is nice to put both feet flat.

My advice is anything past 2017, 1200 or 1250 low, would be a good fit.  I did not need or want the extra size of a GSA so a GS just worked for me.  I do enjoy the wind from less protection of the RT and is a big part I like the GS.  If it rains your in a rain suite anyway, if it is cold I have lectrics on, toe to finger tips.

Sounds like you spent a bunch of money on your bike so I would get my moneys worth.

With the 1300 on the horizon, I would think 1250s gonna come up for sale in the spring, making a 17 or 18 R 1200GS a great buy for those wanting a used 1250,to move up.  I just cant say enough about my GS and I am still grinning every time I ride it, 6 years later.

When I was younger and less beat up I had a 05 Road Glide FLTRI, I traded that for a 07 BMW LT.  Totaled that in the Bad Lands in 2010.  Then in recovery I had a 2010 FJR1300, then my 15 RT and now a 17.5 GS.  I loved that LT, and if I was a young buck, I would have one of BMW's bagger 1600's.  But I want to move down in weight if I have to, as getting old is a literal pain. 

But, the Low is giving me more time to ride with more confidence then the RT allowed me.  So it just works for me.

I hope you find your fit.

On 8/21/2023 at 6:53 AM, LAF said:

A low GS with a low saddle is the ticket. 

But, the Low is giving me more time to ride with more confidence then the RT allowed me.  So it just works for me.

I hope you find your fit.

I am surprised the RT is higher than the GS? I am guessing the RT was standard and you compaired it to a lowered GS? My RT is basically identical to the lowered R1250 GS Trophy with split seat. The GS might be slightly lowered l. Either way they are very comfortable. I'm going to keep looking. 

On 8/22/2023 at 9:22 PM, gmcjetpilot said:

I am surprised the RT is higher than the GS? I am guessing the RT was standard and you compaired it to a lowered GS? My RT is basically identical to the lowered R1250 GS Trophy with split seat. The GS might be slightly lowered l. Either way they are very comfortable. I'm going to keep looking. 

It was night and day sitting on my 15 RT and my now 17.5 GS.  Part was weight and how it is distributed.  Part maybe the girth of a RT as I shrink and age. The GS just feels more responsive and  less weight make it better for ME.

You need to make YOU happy.  It will call you when you sit the right bike.

And if you take care of your own bike then a 1200 is the last you can/could have gotten a Repair DVD.  Yes some 1250 DVD got out as obvious by the Pirate copies on Flea Bay.  But you can not purchase OEM repair manuals. 

If you want to know the truth I would like to try a 1250 but will not buy a bike that only a dealer can service.  To me it is a monopoly that should not be.  Right to Repair and all that.   My 17.5 GS has never seen a dealer except a year or two ago I had them upgrade the bikes software.  That will be the last it sees a dealer.

Truth is I have no TFT on my 17.5 and love that.  I have a dedicated Zumo XT that carries all the information I need, and plays my music and answers my phone if needed.  I dont like the idea of my phone needed to navigate.  I am fine living in a Analog World.

On 8/8/2023 at 6:15 AM, Rougarou said:

One toe one cheek and you are stable.

Here's a couple of vertically challenged folks

Yep that is just how I ride.... ha ha.... The first one, that guy is very short and made the GS look light. Jocelin Snow is hard to comprehend.....  she has great control, technique, skill and most of that is moving and feet on pegs.... however the starting and stopping she has down to a science.  She does and admits it, no shame, drop the bike a lot. However that is the great thing with Adv bikes and full crash bars.  They are made to drop and not be damaged. 

On 8/24/2023 at 7:52 AM, LAF said:

It was night and day sitting on my 15 RT and my now 17.5 GS.  Part was weight and how it is distributed.  Part maybe the girth of a RT as I shrink and age. The GS just feels more responsive and  less weight make it better for ME.  [SNIP]

I

Thank you,... yep I am in total agreement.  Great info and advice. Cheers

• Plus 1 1

My wife is 5' 2" and rides a factory low GS with a low seat.  I am 5' 9" and can not get on a GSA.  I can ride my stock height GS, but prefer a low seat.  Still not flat footed.

At 5' 7" I would look for a factory low GS (not GSA).  I think you would be very comfortable on it.  Ours are 1250's, but I think 1200 wetheads are certainly very worthwhile.  The differences between our former '07 (hexheads) and the 1250's is remarkable in all respects, and I think you would get most of this in a 1200 wethead.  

On a BMW the side stand switch would need to be bypassed.   NOPE!   

Looks good for that particular road, but what about off-camber?   (to each their own)