IGNORED

What GPS app for iPhone?

poodad

I'm looking for a GPS app for iPhone that does the following:

1. Offline access - ability to download maps for areas with no cell service.

2. Import KML/GPX files.

3. Turn by turn navigation.

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount.

Scenic, Rever, and CaliMoto seem to be the leading contenders in this space. Anyone have recommendations?

OsmAnd APP works with iPhone or Android. Their premium plan gives you all those features.It also allows you to import GPX files created in Garmin BaseCamp or other software, like Kurviger.de for example. And it works with different map data suppliers.

I've had Scenic for a while, but I only got it as a backup to my BMW Nav VI.  While I always load the route GPX files that Bernie creates for STARTs and FARTs into the Scenic App on my iPhone, I've never actually used Scenic to navigate, save once for a very short point-to-point route.  Be aware that the Scenic app is for iOS only; there is no Android version yet.  As for importing GPX files into Scenic, you have to do it through the Scenic web app.  I first export the GPX file from Basecamp to my Mac desktop, then I drag and drop it into a dialogue box in the Scenic desktop app.  I then open the Scenic app on my iPhone, and the those GPX files appear in the import queue.  Scenic certainly seems to be full featured, and they have a regular newsletter, demo videos on YouTube etc.  That said, I've never compared it to the alternatives.  

• Like 1

so I did not know about OsmAnd so I went wi.th the very common REVER.

so far it seems fine.  it will import GPX files but to be honest it does not do it very well.  I can easily fix the route after import, and it does work.  Just does not import cleanly.

to be honest I only use REVER for my Uncle Tom and riding partner Andy.  they did not want a GPS (at least as of now) and so I take the routes, say for Sparta, and I load them into REVER and that way Uncle Tom can follow along.  This way I can ride my pace and be sure Uncle Tom will not be lost.  Then at the turns I wait, and then do it all again.  :-)

Andy Raye and his daughter went to the UnRally.  I had done all the routes in Basecamp.  I think I did about 15 routes.  I then took the 6 day routes we were doing and put them in REVER and shared them with Andy.  Andy used REVER for the whole UnRally and said it worked perfectly and the turn by turn was right on.  That was our first big use of REVER, and it seems to be a decent product.

REVER also has a large user base and holds (usually) monthly web based 1 hour training webcasts.  I have learned a lot. My only complaint, I would say 65% is using the phone app, and only 35% of the training session is web based.  I really only use the phone app for following a route.  All my work is basically done in the web portal.  I made a suggestion that maybe they could so some advanced web-based training going forward.  We will see.

I don't like Rever, because they own the routes you upload and free to distribute them as they want, possibly even sell them.

They also own the tracks you record using their App.

With OsmAnd it will import the "Route" and separate the route from the track. You can use the track to navigate and it will give you voice commands.

It also works on Android and Apple.

Bernie, I understand your comments, I do not care if someone else makes money off my riding :-)  but others have said the same thing to me

my issue with OsmAnd was (and I was looking in a hurry) I could not see how to use OsmAnd with my computer.  It seemed to be an app only.

Hence why I went with Rever and just accepted them seeing my routes.  But, as noted I was in a hurry and I assumed I just missed how to use OsmAnd with my computer.

• Like 1

I misunderstood you Randy. The OsmAnd App is for the phone only. You create the route in any navigation software you, like Garmin BaseCamp or Kurviger.de. Then export it as a GPX file. This file can then be imported into your phone OsmAnd app and then can be used to navigate.

One app that also has a web based interface is Ride With GPS. It was created by bicycle enthusiasts , but it works with both phone systems and can also handle Garmin GPX files. 

thanks for clearing that up.  when I looked at OsmAnd I did not see a web version.  Hence my choice of Rever.  I just looked at Scenic, and it seems very similar to REVER.

I think I will stick with REVER for now.  As noted I personally do not use REVER, I use my Garmin XT.  but the routes I plan to ride at Sparta, I will also load into REVER and Andy Raye and my Uncle Tom will then have them available.

so for now it is working as we need it too.

• Like 1

I am glad Never works for you. I couldn't get it to load my routes when I tried it a few years ago, but maybe they fixed it since then.

I like using my Garmin/BMW Nav 6 unit. I know what to expect and I am used to its quirks. LOL

See you at FART!

so Bernie, 

If you are saying Rever would not import a GPX file then yes that is fixed

If  you are saying Rever did not import the GPX file with multiple routes,  NO that is not fixed

If you are saying Rever imported a single route and it did not match up to the GPX file, NO that is not fixed.

What Rever will do is import a GPX file with a single route and "most" way points will be loaded.  They will not be in order, and if the route happens to have the same waypoint multiple times it will drop the waypoints.

However, I will say for most routes under 20 waypoints it is not that hard.  just import the GPX single route file, then you can easily sort the waypoints to match what Basecamp and it works very well.

I imported all 6 of the routes for Andy for the UN.  Each route took about 10 minutes to clean up and make the mileage match basecamp.

Again, I do this for Andy and my Uncle Tom.  and for what I need it works fine.

Well I have no interest in making routes with very few waypoints. What I really asking of you, Randy and the rest of the group to not take the routes the BBR guys make for the START and FART events and upload them to different websites as public routes. You didn’t make those routes, you are only allowed to use them as a member of bmwst, com. 
But do what you want and enjoy it. :3:

• Plus 1 1