IGNORED

2018 versus 2023RT

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Hi All,

I just got back from a three day 800 mile trip on my 2018 RT. It's my fifth Beemer starting in 1971 with a 75/5, then 1981, 2002 and 2012. RT's. The difference between each one was incredible. My 2018 was flawless this weekend. Everything worked great. Enough power, smooth, comfy ride, brakes, handling ... all great. Of course there are farkles ... big windshield, Russel saddle, and auxiliary lights.

Now that I am at the 3/4 of a century mark and no longer play Ronny Racer or go really fast, what would be  significant differences between my 18 and a 23?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've never had a 1200 and I love my '21 RT... but if I were your age and had an '18 that was 'flawless' then why waste your money on a new bike and accessories when the advantages are not there for you?  I'd say do something else with  your money like send $5k to me for the valuable advise I just gave you, so much cheaper than a new bike.

Take one for a test ride to see if you would prefer it, from what I've read, some say the engine alone is a huge difference and some say meh..

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2

The few reviews I've read, comparing the 2 latest generations left me with this: The 1250 is BMW's latest and greatest and perfect for for the new RT rider, but the 2014 to 2018's (like my 2017,) are so close to the new ShiftCam for all intents and purposes, that there's no 'practical' point in the 'upgrade' for us . (and I'm good with that :))

But I'm sure many have made the swap anyway!

• Plus 1 1

I have a 2015 that I was thinking of trading in for a 2023 and after seeing the hundreds of complaints about the NAV being thru a phone app and all the problems with connection issues I said forget it. I love using my Garmin XT wit the adaptor that fits right in the space provided and works flawlessly every time. Yea the other new features are nice but I'd rather keep my 30K in the bank for other things . I test rode a 21 and a 22 and yes they were a little faster but to me not worth the hassle of relying on a phone. Yes I know you can mount a Garmin on the new ones and yes I know people buy an Android phone just for the bike but it's nonsense I think. BMW has to get their act together on what they are going to do down the road

• Plus 1 1
17 minutes ago, reg26 said:

I have a 2015 that I was thinking of trading in for a 2023 and after seeing the hundreds of complaints about the NAV being thru a phone app and all the problems with connection issues I said forget it. I love using my Garmin XT wit the adaptor that fits right in the space provided and works flawlessly every time. Yea the other new features are nice but I'd rather keep my 30K in the bank for other things . I test rode a 21 and a 22 and yes they were a little faster but to me not worth the hassle of relying on a phone. Yes I know you can mount a Garmin on the new ones and yes I know people buy an Android phone just for the bike but it's nonsense I think. BMW has to get their act together on what they are going to do down the road

I don't connect the phone at all.  Love the tft screen and I use the XT for navigation.  But this is my first BMW.

MichiganBob

I'm thinking that the difference between my 2012 and 2018 was significant but not so much gain and maybe some cons post 2018.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

I'm thinking that the difference between my 2012 and 2018 was significant but not so much gain and maybe some cons post 2018.

That has also been my thinking. I like the idea of being able to select the preload suspension manually, instead of having to hope the automatic does it correctly. Also the there is no big difference between the frame, transmission or body work. That is why I decided to just replace my suspension, drive shaft and keep on riding my 2018.

Maybe the next big step in development is when they introduce the 2026 models? Blind side radar? 

• Like 1

The next big step may just be an EV.  All cars in Germany must be EV by 2030.  Don't know about MC's.  So, maybe one more iteration of a petrol bike.  But then what young mechanic is going to understand how to work on them?  Sort of like asking a 30 something of today to rebuild a carburetor.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm the same age and with same model.  The 2018 is smooth shifting, trouble-free, and great riding. 

The advantage of the 1250 shift-cam perfomance, I've heard, comes on only in higher revs.  Because I almost always shift at 4000-4400, I'd rarely use that shift cam power.  

At my age I'm happy to keep the Wethead and smell the flowers.

• Like 4

I’m not sure the upgrade is worthwhile going from a ‘18 to a ‘23 either. Particularly with the comment about no longer being into riding frisky.  Also, with the upgrade to the ‘23 you get the added complexity of the Shiftcam valve train that gives more power but likely of unrecognized value to you given  your current riding style.   Not sure how much fuss is involved in servicing the valves on the Shiftcam so there may also be either a time penalty for DYI or a higher shop bill to adjust the valves for the added power that you are not likely to make that much use of.  If BMW would have added an hydraulic valve clearance system to the Shiftcam so there was no need to ever check and adjust the valve clearances, then maybe it would be a worthy upgrade.  They didn’t, so IMO I would keep the old reliable ‘18 and ride on.

• Like 2

I am 70 with a 2016 RT.  I think BMW got it backward on the shift cam, at least for the US market. Should have tuned more torque off the bottom  instead of less. They just chased HP numbers I would never use. Of course I ride like someone who is my age.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, waltroman said:

... I think BMW got it backward on the shift cam, at least for the US market. Should have tuned more torque off the bottom  instead of less. They just chased HP numbers I would never use. ...

I have both a 2017 R1200RT and a 2019 R1250RT.   I think you have a misconception of the shift cam.  It has BOTH more torque at lower RPM, AND more HP at higher RPM... And it has better overall fuel economy. 

I have expressed some reservations about the shiftcam here and elsewhere, but it is a really nice package.  When I take long trips, I try to find places where I can "sport" in the twisties... but I also need to drone along on the highways to get to the good stuff, and that involves the "tour" part of riding.  The shiftcam engine is great at droning along on the highway with good fuel economy.  And when you hit the curvy section of your ride, the shiftcam engine responds well to being pushed.

My primary criticism has been that I don't like the brief flat spot as the cams swap over.  This is only annoying when I am trying to ride fast on a road that alternates really low speed hairpins with high speed connecting sections, like the rim of the Black Canyon in Colorado.  I end up going off and on the high speed cam as I enter and exit each hairpin.  But the more time I spend on the shiftcam, the more I like it, and the less I care about the minor flat spot in torque at ~4500 RPM.

Beyond that, my 2019 shifts better than the 2017, and the suspension settings are better calibrated.  The "soft" setting on the 2017 doesn't seem to actually make the ride softer, while the "road" setting on the 2019 does make the ride more compliant.  The shiftcam has a more complex valve adjustment procedure requiring some hard-to-get tools.  Both the 1200 and the 1250 benefit from having the valves set carefully to the low end of spec, and the cams timed properly.  It is amazing to feel and hear the difference when the valves are set correctly.

Cap

As a fan of riding frisky from time to time I'm sure I would appreciate the extra ponies of the shift cam.  But I'm already on thin ice with the Mrs. so no Shiftcam is in my future anytime soon.  When I got back into riding she made me promise to only get one, which was the '99 RT.  When the '15 RT showed up, she said you promised only one.  I said I have not broken that promise, I only own one...model:cool:.  She hates that loophole. But I don't want to push it, I just finished pushing her limit with toys with the Dolby Atmos 5.4.2 HT I just set up in our garage to Rumpus Room project.  And here too I can appreciate having added power on tap as it is a system easily measured in horsepower rather than watts:grin:  I love that woman cuz she knows in some ways I will never actually grow up, and accepts that!

• Like 2

I brought a 2014R1200RT per-release and traded it for a new 2022R1250RT.  Cap has given you a good report on the bike, I'm very happy with the 22.  My 14RT was in great shape but it was 8 years old.  If you are happy with your present bike and don't mind some age, save your money and stay with it, the cost saving is greater then the performance benefits not to mention the cost to insure...  

• Like 4