IGNORED

Moving somewhere

narcosis

I'll be moving somewhere next year and I am drawn to the area around Asheville, NC, probably due to STARTs and FARTs. What I'm looking for is relatively close proximity to the BRP for bicycling and motorcycling and, the mountains.  I'd like to be within a 20 mile radius of Asheville.  Any thoughts on areas (good and bad)?

I think Asheville is the San Francisco of the east.  Just from local news reports on homelessness and stuff.

Asheville is the only decent city for quite a distance in that part of the mountains. I love Asheville and if the continuous 100 degree + days continue here in Houston make me want to look for property around there too! One of my best friends was the manager at the Porsche store there several years back. It does have an "Austin" feel in some areas. 

Like any city there is good and bad. Property isn't cheap right in the city, but you can go a few miles out and do well. Easy in and out with major highways.  Spend some time looking around in the area.

Central Carolina can be more advantageous.  You can easily get west to mountain region, and a few hours to the sandy locations with salty water (if you like that grainy stuff).

If you look to the rural counties, it would be a better option as far as pricing is concerned, prolly even outside of Buncombe county, housing prices would drop and you'd be "close enough" to that shitty, er, I mean city life stuff.   

I live in a rural county, my work commute is 1hr.  For us to get supplies in the shitties, we're looking at 25-30 minutes to Winston-Salem or Greensboro, equal either direction.

"Close proximity",......depends on who you are.  I'm an hour from the parkway.  Couple of years ago, during FART, I'd ride up to Sparta, meet some folks, ride all day, then ride home.  The ride to Sparta was no more than my morning commute to work.

• Like 1

Asheville has really gone down in the last few years. As Roug mentioned, it’s turning into the San Fran of N.C. We looked for a second home in the mountains and Boone became our choice 

I'm originally from NW FL. I now happily live in the western NC foothills, in Hickory, NC. I'm less than a hour from the mountains and BRP, about an hour to Charlotte, just over an hour to Asheville or Winston-Salem.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Everyone, thanks for your input.  I hope to do some scouting while in NC during FART.  The proximity aspect to Asheville is due to me having to re-enter dating life.  Although I'd rather live away from it all, the higher the population, the more single woman.  Charlotte may be a good choice also although a little bit further away from the BRP.

30 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

If ever I've heard a good argument to move to the city, that's it!

Well, depends on the type of women folk you be looking for.  

I'd want a country girl that can lift a sack of concrete mix:18:  I think I'd have a better chance in the boonies on that approach,......luckily, I found one that can do that long time ago.

also, Winston-Salem and Greensboro area has a decent population,.....dunno about the single wenches, but I'd imagine there'd be one or two.

• Smile 1
  • 5 months later...
On 7/31/2023 at 3:10 PM, narcosis said:

I'll be moving somewhere next year and I am drawn to the area around Asheville, NC, probably due to STARTs and FARTs. What I'm looking for is relatively close proximity to the BRP for bicycling and motorcycling and, the mountains.  I'd like to be within a 20 mile radius of Asheville.  Any thoughts on areas (good and bad)?

If'n you ain't moved yet, give this a read about Buncombe county/Asheville as the highest cost area to buy a house and your second choice, Charlotte, is the second highest in NC

https://myfox8.com/news/business/homeownership-is-unaffordable-in-these-north-carolina-counties-study-says/

I'm not surprised.  I look at Realtor.com regularly and yes, Asheville home prices look steep compared to where I'm at but Asheville is 42nd on the list according to the article.  Way better than #1 Sacramento, CA.  If all the stars align, I should be able to start looking in earnest around the April/May timeframe.  Maybe I'll extend my START trip and do some scouting.  What I'll really need to do is find a good realtor.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
On 8/2/2023 at 11:46 AM, narcosis said:

Everyone, thanks for your input.  I hope to do some scouting while in NC during FART.  The proximity aspect to Asheville is due to me having to re-enter dating life.  Although I'd rather live away from it all, the higher the population, the more single woman.  Charlotte may be a good choice also although a little bit further away from the BRP.

At least, she's honest...

lawnchairboy

My wife an I were in Asheville about two or three years ago in October.   We stayed downtown in a hotel with a rooftop / garden bar area.  The decline of the city was discouraging.  We were stepping over bodies on the sidewalk in the daytime, more than one, not kidding.  Crime has exploded there.  It is a damn shame.  I would very carefully consider any move to the downtown area.

It seems to be a common phenomenon in cities without political diversity of leadership. 

• Plus 1 1
81delorean

Wife and I are eventually moving to TN or NC to be around the Smoky Mtns and stuff to. We like smaller town living and avoid big town problems but want to be somewhat close to a large city just for the variety of stores and restaurants. We're looking at around the Waynesville NC area. Close to BRP, Smoky Mtns, Pisgah National Forest, The Rattler, Mount Mitchell State Park, Maggie Valley (Wheels Through Time Museum).....etc. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1