IGNORED

bumpy getting into first gear since clutch job

steve68

So I replaced my clutch outpt cylinder and friction plate (with longer splined hub) 500 miles ago.  Did this job myself in the garage (:4607:)  Since then, have had a bit of a "jack hammer" feeling - not so severe - when starting from a stop, especially when stopped on an up-hill.    Kinda like it's gonna stall out, but I pull the clutch lever in a bit and ease out again and then it smooths out.  Does not happen advancing up the gears after once I'm moveing.  No clutch slippage at higher RPMs, no wierd vibrations.  I can live with this, but just wondering if there is a normal time period or miles that it takes the new friction plate to sort of "wear-in" and then expect it to smooth out?  Thinking that when I let the clutch lever out and the spring plate presses the friction disc to the plate, the surfaces are not quite meshing smoothly.

Hope this makes sense.

Steven

10 minutes ago, steve68 said:

So I replaced my clutch outpt cylinder and friction plate (with longer splined hub) 500 miles ago.  Did this job myself in the garage (:4607:)  Since then, have had a bit of a "jack hammer" feeling - not so severe - when starting from a stop, especially when stopped on an up-hill.    Kinda like it's gonna stall out, but I pull the clutch lever in a bit and ease out again and then it smooths out.  Does not happen advancing up the gears after once I'm moveing.  No clutch slippage at higher RPMs, no wierd vibrations.  I can live with this, but just wondering if there is a normal time period or miles that it takes the new friction plate to sort of "wear-in" and then expect it to smooth out?  Thinking that when I let the clutch lever out and the spring plate presses the friction disc to the plate, the surfaces are not quite meshing smoothly.

Hope this makes sense.

Steven

Afternoon Steven

What friction disk did you get, is it a stock disk with a longer hub, or some sort of aftermarket disk? Disk friction material can make a BIG difference is engagement smoothness. 

From the description "all R1150 and R1100S bikes (S model only - will not fit any other R1100 model). "  I believe the S-model only applies to R1100.   So "all R1150" I would think includes my bike.  I could call BeemerBoneyard to double check, but I feel pretty sure that I am reading that correctly.

44 minutes ago, steve68 said:

From the description "all R1150 and R1100S bikes (S model only - will not fit any other R1100 model). "  I believe the S-model only applies to R1100.   So "all R1150" I would think includes my bike.  I could call BeemerBoneyard to double check, but I feel pretty sure that I am reading that correctly.

Afternoon Steven

Yes, the 1100S uses the same clutch plate as the 1150r/rt .  I just wasn't sure what you were working on? 

I don't know what to tell you on the clutch problem without riding it. It sort of sounds like clutch chatter. 

Were your trans input shaft splines worn? If so how bad? 

If the splines are worn then your new disk is probably only mating on that small un-worn spline area.  If that is the case then the disk probably isn't free to easily slide on the input shaft during engagement so that can make initial engagement much more difficult to do smoothly. If that is the case then it will probably eventually get better but more than likely not very quickly.  

Here's a pic of the transmission input splines.  I think  you may be correct.  Not much more I can do, eh?  I would need a new transmission to get better splines, right?

splines.jpg

I was actually pleased with the way they looked when I got in there.  The friction plate splines were getting flattened.  Glad I got the extended hub.

6 minutes ago, steve68 said:

Here's a pic of the transmission input splines.  I think  you may be correct.  Not much more I can do, eh?  I would need a new transmission to get better splines, right?

Afternoon Steven

Those splines are typical looking with a spline issue, the disk splines are definitely not making contact in the center section so more than likely that is your engagement chattering issue.

It might very well get better as you ride it but it won't be quick to do so.   

• 3 months later...

The above issue has improved greatly.  I made it from Rhode Island to Vermont and back with very little issue other than getting stuck in a DEEP mud puddle....story for another time.

I have new issue arising:  When I first get going in the morning, or after the bike has been sitting a while, I barely have to let the clutch level out in first gear and it seems the clutch engages very quickly.  By then end of my 25 min ride to work, I am letting the lever out much further before I get full engagement.

I haven't taken a look at the clutch fluid yet or flushed it out.  Just thought I'd throw this out to y'all and see if there are any thoughts.

FYI I had replaced the clutch friction plate and clutch output cylinder in late July.

Thanks, Steve

20 minutes ago, steve68 said:

The above issue has improved greatly.  I made it from Rhode Island to Vermont and back with very little issue other than getting stuck in a DEEP mud puddle....story for another time.

I have new issue arising:  When I first get going in the morning, or after the bike has been sitting a while, I barely have to let the clutch level out in first gear and it seems the clutch engages very quickly.  By then end of my 25 min ride to work, I am letting the lever out much further before I get full engagement.

I haven't taken a look at the clutch fluid yet or flushed it out.  Just thought I'd throw this out to y'all and see if there are any thoughts.

FYI I had replaced the clutch friction plate and clutch output cylinder in late July.

Thanks, Steve

Morning steve68

That could be due to a few different reasons. 

It's possible that you still have a little trapped air in the cultch hydraulics, as the clutch fluid heats that air could be expanding in the line or cylinder. 

Or, the slave is actually taking in some air during operation due to piston flutter.   

Of it could be in the clutch itself. 

1 hour ago, steve68 said:

Thanks for quick reply.  Any recommendations on first steps to investigate?

Steven

Afternoon Steven

About all you can do is re-bleed the clutch system, if that doesn't help then you will probably have to live with it. 

If re-bleeding helps for a short while but the problem slowly comes back then possibly the slave is taking in air. 

Steve:

I got the same clutch as you a few years ago, had the same shuddering engagement.   My input shaft splines were worn a little less than yours.    It took a couple thousand miles to get broken in.   Then the engagement was nice and smooth.   Have patience, it should improve soon.