IGNORED

fear of stripping screws

steve68

I need to remove the cover of my front brake fluid reservoir.  Last guy to bleed the system really overtightened them and I can't get them to budge and am worried about stripping them.  Any tricks up anyones' sleeve to get these going?  I DON"T feel like drilling out a bunch of srews.

Thanks

Steven

41 minutes ago, steve68 said:

I need to remove the cover of my front brake fluid reservoir.  Last guy to bleed the system really overtightened them and I can't get them to budge and am worried about stripping them.  Any tricks up anyones' sleeve to get these going?  I DON"T feel like drilling out a bunch of srews.

Thanks

Steven

Morning   Steven

They were probably not over-tightened. More than likely they didn't use a little piece of  twisted paper towel or Kleenex to remove the brake fluid from the BLIND  reservoir screw holes. Brake fluid is a corrosive as it attracts moisture so the screws are probably now corroded in place. 

You need a perfectly fitting driver to remove them (if you use a loose fitting or incorrect tip) you will probably strip the screw heads out. 

Sometimes a little heat can help break them loose, (soldering gun or heated nail or old drill bit).

If you are not used to removing corroded-in blind hole screws then you might swing by you local BMW dealer & see if they will just break them free for you (I'm sure they have the necessary feel to know how much pressure they can put on the screws without stripping the heads or twisting them off). Plus they should have proper fitting driver. 

In the mean time put just a drop of penetrating oil on the screw heads (enough to cover the screw head to it's edge). That by itself won't pernitrate the screw-head to cover interface but it will certainly help once you can get the screw head to move even a little.

If you have a perfect fitting driver then you can also try putting that in the screw head then rapping the tool a couple of straight down hits with a hammer. 

Personally I use a little impact driver that fits my driver as that both shocks the screw & tries to turn it at the same time. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I recently bought a set of JIS screwdrivers. With them I've been able to remove screws that I'm sure I would have stripped out using a Philips screwdriver.

• Plus 1 2

Awesome answers.  This forum really never disappoints.  I will try heat.  The best luck I've had in past was with the phillips screwdriver that came with the tool kit, but hard to get enough downward pressure.

If not, the local BMW dealership may be next.

Thanks again and safe riding and a good weekend to all.

szurszewski

Some years ago a friend gifted me one of these Vessel JIS impact screwdrivers. If you strike it with a hammer it will rotate “loose” 12deg. I almost never do that because it will grip properly sizes heads so well you can turn them by hand. 

If you don’t already have something very similar it’s definitely worth the money and will likely work on this problem and others you’ll find later. 

Vessel Megadora 980 Impacta P2x100 #2 Cross Point Impact Screwdriver https://a.co/d/8tj6Vsq

When looking it up just now I also saw this little multi bit unit also from Vessel - the reviews are good and I assume it is of similar (excellent) quality and would give you the option to use the perfect bit. Into my cart it goes…

Vessel Impact Driver No.250001 https://a.co/d/4sTErWP

(The first one comes in various sizes, but the one I linked “should” be the best fit for your reservoir screw.)

My 1973 Honda 350 CL came new with that Vessel Impact Driver except it was blue.  I broke it last year and am still pissed off about it.

On 7/28/2023 at 9:56 AM, RogerC60 said:

I recently bought a set of JIS screwdrivers. With them I've been able to remove screws that I'm sure I would have stripped out using a Philips screwdriver.

I bought a set of JIS tips only, that fit my impact driver.

szurszewski
On 7/29/2023 at 12:29 PM, Skywagon said:

My 1973 Honda 350 CL came new with that Vessel Impact Driver except it was blue.  I broke it last year and am still pissed off about it.

I can't help you with blue, but if it will make your life better, I'll kick in the first $1 to a go-fund-me to get you a replacement ;)

szurszewski
6 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Already bought a high quality replacement from Harbor Freight:3:

please send dollar to…

You just saved me about twenty bucks, so I probably should mail you a dollar. I googled "vessel impact driver blue" to see if I could find you one to match - no luck, but there are a bunch on ebay - with blue cases. Some were missing bits/were beat up, etc, but a couple looked pretty much NOS and I just ordered one for $17 (it was actually a bit under $8 but then $10 shipping). thanks ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 12:29 PM, Skywagon said:

Well, for $18 I now have one. When you said this came with your 350 cl I assumed it was part of the onboard kit and I was expecting it to be about half this size!

Looking forward to trying it out :)

IMG_9184.thumb.jpeg.475fbb1ceee1c159cef1661b31171021.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

TORX are used in most of the newer BMW bikes (since 2005+/-??) I think.

JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) bits are similar but different from Phillips.  JIS bits do have some cam-out resistance.  They have been superseded by the ISO8764-1 spec. JIS screws have a small dimple on the head.  For a better fit use the correct size Phillips with ACR (Anti-Camout Recess - little ridges on the wing faces that help hold the bit in the head), i.e. #2 Phillips ACR.  For more strength get hardened (heat treated) bits.  These are stronger and more wear resistant but more brittle, just like "impact sockets".

image.png.a5c7d04718b67295e651a5f33c6fc66a.png

If you look closely the above bit is neither JIS or Phillips but a POZIDRIV BIT with ACR.

These are some #2 ACR bits I picked up years ago.  They are my favorites, ACR and reduced head diameter in a 1" insert bit.  This one is not "hardened" and just about shot.  I'd rather damage the bit that the fastener, especially on a BMW.

image.thumb.png.1df3d7fd62a6067820e3561cfa22705a.png  image.png.5f48925a6062813463507533936b1a7e.png