IGNORED

Fender extension

Dave P

07 R1200RT, does anyone have a recommendation on a nice fitting front fender extender? I see plenty of them for sale but I wonder how well they fit. Thanks Dave

1 hour ago, Dave P said:

07 R1200RT, does anyone have a recommendation on a nice fitting front fender extender? I see plenty of them for sale but I wonder how well they fit. Thanks Dave

Afternoon Dave 

I haven't installed any extenders on the 1200RT  in a while but the  "Pyramid Plastics" Fender Extender used to fit good & was easy to install.  

I used to use a little more permanent attachment using large head automotive alloy pop rivets but it still installed easily. Plus I would add a  rubber tongue to the bottom of the "Pyramid Plastics" Fender Extender  to protect the bottom of the engine, I shape the tongue to the same lower contour as the extender so it looks pretty decent but really adds much better lower protection  (I ride a lot of gravel roads at speed). 

I have used "Pyramid Plastics" Fender Extenders for years & they do hold up good, my only complaint is they will eventually fade to a gray/black as they don't seem to have any UV protection. But it takes years & I'm pretty sure most of the other fender extenders available are also lacking UV protection.  

Just a little caution, if you install (any brand extender) by drilling holes either use a very short drill bit, drill depth limiter,  or place something  drill resistant between the front tire & the fender  (I know a guy that accidently drilled a hole in his front tire installing an extender)

• Plus 1 1

I would have been happy to recommend the Avant extender from Machineart Moto.  It keeps all the road dirt off my engine, fits perfectly, and the no-drill clamps have held it solidly.  Unfortunately,  their web site no longer offers an extender for any R1200RT.

• Like 1
Shelterwoods

I recommend the Wunderlich extender. I had the Pyramid plastic extender on my Goldwing, and the extra weight broke the fender. The Wunderlich product is expensive, but does not rely on the strength of the fender alone.

Thanks for the suggestions- currently I'm painstakingly prepping the front of the engine for paint. Gonna look nice when done. A fender extender hopefully will help keep the paint from getting chipped off. Will buy one tonight! Dave