IGNORED

key fob battery

steveg

What's up these key fobs, I replaced the battery last week due to the little key sign came up on the dashboard, now it lit up again so I replaced and still have the warning, am buying half dead batteries or is something else wrong

Use the search function & you will find several discussions, information, and recommendations on the key fob situation. 

• Like 1

Do you happen to have the quadlock with wireless charging? If so, I found that will interfere with the keyfob signal. If you unplug the charger, it would work fine, or just wait for the bike to cycle fully off (if you are having problems starting due to the bike not acknowledging the keyfob). 

• 4 weeks later...

Check the battery voltage before installing. Even though they say 3V, at 3.00V, they're basically dead. New should read about 3.28V. Also use Panasonic; for some reason, most fobs like those the best. Typically the expiration date of a relataively fresh battery should be 10 years away, so make sure to check expiration date before buying.

• 2 months later...

I was on a trip to the Ozarks.  I was ready to head off on a day ride from the hotel but the dash on my 22R1250RT light up with a 50% FOB battery.  The bike is about 1 and 1/2 years old, this was the original FOB battery.  No problem I was prepared with a back up.  Got home yesterday before the heavy rains hit the Ozarks.  The bad FOB battery tested at 2.98 V WTF.  As you know a CR2032 is a 3 V.  If this is all it takes to fail no wonder why they don't last very long and ones stored don't work... 

Yep, those batteries at 3.0V are toast. The minimum I use is 3.27V. The highest I've seen was 3.31V. I always use fresh Panasonic batteries for fobs; for some reason, those are the ones they seem to like the best.

11 hours ago, strataj said:

I was on a trip to the Ozarks.  I was ready to head off on a day ride from the hotel but the dash on my 22R1250RT light up with a 50% FOB battery.  The bike is about 1 and 1/2 years old, this was the original FOB battery.  No problem I was prepared with a back up.  Got home yesterday before the heavy rains hit the Ozarks.  The bad FOB battery tested at 2.98 V WTF.  As you know a CR2032 is a 3 V.  If this is all it takes to fail no wonder why they don't last very long and ones stored don't work... 

Morning  strataj

You were measuring the voltage at open circuit (no load), if you want to compare CR2032 batteries put a 10K ohm resistor across the battery while measuring the battery voltage. 

At just under 3.0 volts open circuit  those CR2032 batteries are pretty dead & will typically fall well below that with even a modest load on them. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

In my thread about this issue, I have determined that the WiFi signal from my dash cam is causing interference.   Not sure if that is the case in your situation, but  I went through several, separate varieties of batteries to find that they were not the cause on my '19 model.  Your bike may be a lot more different on the key FOB set-up than the '19 model; your shows the battery level.  :dontknow:

I had battery voltage measured as high as 3.27v and as low as 3.9v and still got key FOB warnings.  My experiments yielded results that made me determine WiFi interruptions.

Your kilometers may vary.

:spittake:

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

In my thread about this issue, I have determined that the WiFi signal from my dash cam is causing interference.   Not sure if that is the case in your situation, but  I went through several, separate varieties of batteries to find that they were not the cause on my '19 model.  Your bike may be a lot more different on the key FOB set-up than the '19 model; your shows the battery level.  :dontknow:

I had battery voltage measured as high as 3.27v and as low as 3.9v and still got key FOB warnings.  My experiments yielded results that made me determine WiFi interruptions.

Your kilometers may vary.

:spittake:

Morning  wbw6cos

High as 3.27v and as low as 3.9v, you might want to recheck that low of 3.9v (3.90v)  as that is higher than any CR2032 I have ever measured. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
33 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  wbw6cos

High as 3.27v and as low as 3.9v, you might want to recheck that low of 3.9v (3.90v)  as that is higher than any CR2032 I have ever measured. 

I'm assuming he meant 3.09v.

Our situation, previous thread, appears to have been resolved by getting a new set of batteries.  I never checked voltage, but maybe I'll do that in the next few days, out of curiosity.  

• Like 1

Button batteries in our country now have a coating to make them taste bitter to toddlers so they don’t eat them. This seems to affect the voltage and on another forum (Ford Falcons) people have noticed the life of the battery is less since the bitter coating. This could be part of the issue as I my FOB stopped working a few days after the 50% warning. When I replaced the battery I removed the bitter layer with some 1500 grit W&D. The FOB has lasted a lot longer and I rarely get the FOB not detected message where I got it a lot when I walked a metre or two away from the bike in the past.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Trash Hauler said:

Button batteries in our country now have a coating to make them taste bitter to toddlers so they don’t eat them. This seems to affect the voltage and on another forum (Ford Falcons) people have noticed the life of the battery is less since the bitter coating. This could be part of the issue as I my FOB stopped working a few days after the 50% warning. When I replaced the battery I removed the bitter layer with some 1500 grit W&D. The FOB has lasted a lot longer and I rarely get the FOB not detected message where I got it a lot when I walked a metre or two away from the bike in the past.

Exactly. I went through a number of new “dead” CR2032 batteries for my Apple AirTags before I learned about this. It’s a great safety feature, but can render the batteries essentially nonfunctional. Also, early on in my GSA ownership I was going through key fob batteries at an alarming rate because I was leaving the fob in the little compartment on top of the tank. Doing so caused the bike and the fob to talk constantly, draining the batteries within a few days.

In any event, I now carry a few spare batteries on the bike…just in case. On a recent trip with a friend who was riding a Harley, he was unable to restart his bike after a fuel stop. A quick online search revealed the fact that his key fob battery was low (signaled by alternating right and left turn signals) and we were able to get him rolling with one of my spare batteries. 

• Like 1

Sort of like requesting non-child resistant caps for pill bottles, it would be nice to get batteries without the child-resistant coating.   I promise not to eat them. *wink, wink. nudge, nudge*

• Like 1

If you want new bikes, especially fully loaded, that day arrived a while back. Ha ha. But other than having to replace the battery every once in a while, my fob has been flawless (I carry a spare battery too). I was disappointed by no key initially too, but have warmed up to the fob, and now don't have any problem having a fob instead. You'd get used to it too:grin:.

3 hours ago, JamesW said:

Key fobs??  The day will never come when I own a motorcycle that requires use of such devices, god willing!  

If you can't start it with a rock and sly look, it is even really a motorcycle?

• Smile 2