Nav V problem

Dingo55

Hi all 

Appreciate any info/help

Two bikes 

a 1200rt and a 1250rt

1200 came with a nav V

1250 with a nav VI

Haven't had any real need to use either units but I pop them on occasionally to charge the batteries

The nav VI is working fine on the 1250

The nav V now "works" on both bikes but it seems like neither bike recognises it  ( same with the nav VI)

I say "works"

The map comes on on does it's thing but there is no controlling it using the wonder wheel 

Scrolling through with the menu button the navigation page doesn't display so there's no zooming + or -

Had been working normally up until recently

Don't know if this is related or not 

The last two weeks when I go to the 1200 first thing in the morning it has taken 3 or 4 pushes of the ignition button for the bike to "wake up"

Fob has been where it is normally

During the rest of the day everything is normal ie ignition switches on first attempt

Any thoughts

Cheers

Mark 

I'd try cleaning all the contacts, and make sure all the pogo pins in the mount(s) move freely.

image.png.9ce25d78a93efae370a8316fac45f55c.png

I've never found a wiring diagram showing all the connections to the factory GPS mount, but I believe pins 5 and 6 provide the CANBUS connection used to provide bike info and Wonder wheel control. 

Hi

Thanks for the help 

Much appreciated

I had initially thought to change the fob battery but was a bit confused (doesn't take much these days, if indeed it ever did) as to why the fob worked normally for the rest of the day 

Anyhow new fob battery  all good

Cleaned the contact area and the pins all seemed to be free and operating ok

The 1200 nav locking slider arm has always been a bit on the stiff side but I managed to get it operating

I think that was preventing getting proper electrical contact

One other thing that threw up during this event was that when switching off the bike's ignition instead of the nav going into the 30 second shutdown process that didn't happen for well over a minute

Gremlins ??

Thanks again

Cheers

Mark

3 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

Hi

Thanks for the help 

Much appreciated

I had initially thought to change the fob battery but was a bit confused (doesn't take much these days, if indeed it ever did) as to why the fob worked normally for the rest of the day 

Anyhow new fob battery  all good

Cleaned the contact area and the pins all seemed to be free and operating ok

The 1200 nav locking slider arm has always been a bit on the stiff side but I managed to get it operating

I think that was preventing getting proper electrical contact

One other thing that threw up during this event was that when switching off the bike's ignition instead of the nav going into the 30 second shutdown process that didn't happen for well over a minute

Gremlins ??

Thanks again

Cheers

Mark

Well the bike takes time to shutdown, then the GPS takes time to shut down once it does not see power.  I think??????????

I use a Nav V in my car but do not remember how it shuts down?

My Nav IV shut down as soon as the ignition goes off. 

I replaced that with a XT and it stays on for awhile then goes into shutdown.  I expected this as no Wonder Wheel either, but no big deal to me.

The other thing is your bikes time and date match the GPS?  With the integrated NAV prepped units the bikes time and date is set by it to keep it accurate.  This would be a indication all is correct.

Maybe now that you have it snapped in it will respond?  It would be a connection with the bike that triggers it to shutdown.

I always spread a little Dielectric grease on the back of the Nav VI pad and the navigation holder pins to help prevent oxidation and water intrusion.  Just a quick thing to do to help it out.

• Like 1