IGNORED

Fork Stanchion Recall

greiffster

I've acquired a new to me 2014 GS with a production date of 10/13.  The recall or safety campaign or whatever seems to apply to the 2014-17 produced after 11/13.  I'm going to inquire tomorrow at the dealer, but I'll bet he tells me that my VIN is not included in the campaign.  It's a one owner bike and it's been to the dealer a bunch of times, and the stanchion collars have never been put on.  And the previous owner has never been notified. 

I see no noticeable gap between the tube and stanchion so I'm not worried.  But, I'm trying to wrap my head around the this cutoff date.  These are clearly crimped in and look like the other 2014-17s.  Why would the earlier versions of this bike not have the problem?  :S  

Well the only thing showing up in the system for this bike is the little valve for the drive shaft.  It is out of range on the clutch slave and fork stanchion.  Go figure.

I'm going to have a look at the drive shaft myself.

How many miles on the bike?

Above a certain mileage they replace the drive shaft when they do the valve. If below, they have to perform the test as specified by BMW , and if it doesn't;t pass, replace the drive shaft.

On the fork recall, I would call another dealer. I don't think recalls have dates. I think the NSATA or what ever the outfit is called has records with details on all these recalls.

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

How many miles on the bike?

Above a certain mileage they replace the drive shaft when they do the valve. If below, they have to perform the test as specified by BMW , and if it doesn't;t pass, replace the drive shaft.

On the fork recall, I would call another dealer. I don't think recalls have dates. I think the NSATA or what ever the outfit is called has records with details on all these recalls.

Interestingly,  the NHTSA also shows 0 open recalls on the VIN

Insofar as the drivesshaft is concerned, the threshold mileage to have the driveshaft automatically replaced, without need for testing, is 37,000 miles.  As Bernie said, below that mileage, the dealer has to run a test.  If it fails the test, they will replace it.  This, of course, is in addition to installing the drain in the swingarm.

On 7/29/2023 at 10:20 AM, marcopolo said:

Insofar as the drivesshaft is concerned, the threshold mileage to have the driveshaft automatically replaced, without need for testing, is 37,000 miles.  As Bernie said, below that mileage, the dealer has to run a test.  If it fails the test, they will replace it.  This, of course, is in addition to installing the drain in the swingarm.

Yeah, I've read and seen that goofy little swingarm drain.  I have my doubts.  Shouldn't the fix from BMW involve not letting water in there in the first place?  Maybe a better designed boot or attachment?