IGNORED

Best price tire??

PastorJay

I run Michelin pilot road tires on my r1200rt. Have just over 10k on them, Just about in need to replace. 

I want to stick with the Michelin and was wondering if anyone could suggest a possible replacement and good place at a good price. 

Thanks. 

it seem Michelin has price fixed their tires, if you look at the 5's and 6's it's the same price at all the web sites.  Some offer money back in store dollars and other do and don't charge sales tax.  I just got a set of 6's, couldn't fine a 5 rear for my 22RT before the rebate ended.  The best bet is to buy when Michelin offers rebates, sorry that happen last month.  Keep and eye out in BMW ON. 

• Like 1

I just went through this myself.  I am just throwing this out for consideration.  Looked all over for Michelins. I personally thought the prices were getting out of hand. especially if you get the GTs.  I like Michelins, and have been impressed with the 5s and 6s.  I have tried other brands over the years as well.  I usually buy from the brand name websites.  Just for the hey of it I tried Amazon and threw in other tire manufacturers as well for price comparison.  I found a pair of Dunlop RoadSmart 4s for $394, delivered, which was anywhere from $50 to $100 cheaper than the Michelins, depending on the website.  I have had the Roadsmart 3s in the past, really liked them, and heard good things about the 4s.  So far so good.  

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Roadsmart 4's are awesome.  But I am still trying to get over the price shock.  I got a full set of Roadsmart's last year using the BOGO deal at MOA.  My net price was ~$200 for the set.  In prior years, I would generally wait to score a sale..  Often Bridgestone would post a super deal in the spring, and I used T31's and T32's for a few years.  I have my fingers crossed that the prices will drop over the winter.

• Like 1

Bridgestone USA and Canada have a mail in rebate promo from july to september 2023.

60$ rebate (on a prepaid Visa card).

I've used T31GT and T32GT on my RT and really liked them.

Dunlop RoadSmart 4. 

I have tried most brands and models and for me, The Dunlop RS4 handles the best and last as long as the Michelin Road 5GT.

I do have a set of Michelin Road 6GT on the shelf to try. But I don’t expect them to change my opinion.

But the Bridgestone 32GT are a very good tire, as are all modern Sport Touring tires.

• Plus 1 2

Unfortunately tire prices have increased dramatically on all brands. I never paid over $200 for a rear tire before. I never paid more than $150 for a front tire before. I always stick with top brand tires. Putting price aside it's back to personal preference on tire manufacturer and model.

We are all going to pay up. So sad how the cost of motorcycle tires have skyrocketed.  

• Plus 1 1
35 minutes ago, 6speedTi said:

Unfortunately tire prices have increased dramatically on all brands. I never paid over $200 for a rear tire before. I never paid more than $150 for a front tire before. I always stick with top brand tires. Putting price aside it's back to personal preference on tire manufacturer and model.

We are all going to pay up. So sad how the cost of motorcycle tires have skyrocketed.  

Yes it is sickening.  For the GS it cost me 480.00 for Road 6's to my door.  And it is a pain trying to find the pair for the bike in one place.  They have one, or the other, but not F and R in stock together.

And then we hope we can get 8K out of them.  Something is really wrong with this picture.

@Realshlby got me to try T31GT’s a couple of years ago. I had only used Michelin for many many years. IMHO they are quieter, grip as good, much cheaper, and mileage to be determined but look good @ 5000 so far. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

@Realshlby got me to try T31GT’s a couple of years ago....

I liked the T31s a lot.  And the T32s are also good.  But on 3 different sets of T32s, the wear was not as good as the T31s.  So, I switched to Dunlop Road Smart 4's and found that the tread life is much better than the T32s.

And for those of us who mount our own tires, the Dunlop Road Smart 4 GT rear tire is easy to install.  They made the sidewalls more flexible than the Road Smart 3 GT, which is a bear to install. (as are the T31 and T32 GT rear tires)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Cap said:

I liked the T31s a lot.  And the T32s are also good.  But on 3 different sets of T32s, the wear was not as good as the T31s.  So, I switched to Dunlop Road Smart 4's and found that the tread life is much better than the T32s.

And for those of us who mount our own tires, the Dunlop Road Smart 4 GT rear tire is easy to install.  They made the sidewalls more flexible than the Road Smart 3 GT, which is a bear to install. (as are the T31 and T32 GT rear tires)

That's great news Cap.  I had a very hard time installing the Road Smart 3GT, so much so when it came to removal I cut them off with a unity knife.  At the MOA rally this year I mention the difficulty I had, they didn't say anything about the change to the sidewall. I really liked the RS 3GT's outside of the install/removal. 

Edited by strataj
Added content
6 hours ago, strataj said:

... At the MOA rally this year I mention the difficulty I had, they didn't say anything about the change to the sidewall. ...

I specifically remember mounting them last year when I got them on the introductory MOA BOGO deal.  I had to psych myself up, and I prepared by setting the rear tire in the sun for a few hours... :eek:  And then, they slid right on without any drama.  I was so surprised that I went back and re-read the marketing info to be sure I had the GT spec tire.  Somewhere in the mumbo jumbo there was a note about making the sidewalls more flexible.  Yay!

As an aside, at START this year, @Boxflyer came up with a nice innovation: a poor man's tire warmer.  He used an electric blanket to pre-heat the rear tires.  And it made a difference.  I arrived with a well-used T32 GT on the rear, and we decided to replace my tires before I headed home.  Brad had a Dunlop RS4 front, but only a RS3 GT rear.... we put it in the blanket while we mounted the front.  After some prayers and curses, we attempted the RS3 GT rear tire, and found that the electric blanket trick helped -- still a bear, but between the two of us, not too horrible.

• Like 1
Etienne Lau
7 hours ago, Cap said:

+1 on the Dunlop Road Smart 4 tires. Took me almost 2 minutes/wheel to get the RS 4 put on my R1200RT.....using my very old Cycle Hill Tire changer. It just slipped on and the sidewall just crinkled into the drop center.....

I quit buying the latest and greatest and now look for last few years fashionable tires.  If they were the greatest or near greatest tire in 2017, they should still be good enough in 2023.  Even bought a tire off of shopgoodwill.com before (build date was only couple years old).

I'll throw the tire size in amazon search and duck duck go search and see what I can pull up.  Try to keep a set of tires under the $250 mark.  I've got these on the RT now, $209 for the set.

https://www.amazon.com/CONTINENTAL-MOTION-70zr17-Front-55zr17/dp/B007N6RPSY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2MXO2KSWZZE4&keywords=180%2F55ZR17+Rear&qid=1690931654&sprefix=180%2F55zr17+rear%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

71sC29xZBkL._AC_SL1454_.jpg

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Cap… do you notice any difference in the ride e.g. softer more flex?

I don’t.  I put 3000 miles on them over 10 days earlier this summer.  Mountain roads in WY, ID, MT, UT, and CO.  I run 39 psi front, 43 rear.  I had some very hot days with long high-speed runs, and I had days with driving rain and hail. They stick well in dry and wet.  The tread wear is almost negligible so far.  I didn’t notice any difference in ride quality compared to other premium brands.

• Plus 1 1

The Conti Motion's have pretty good rider reviews, but I note that many are on lighter sport bikes (GXR 750 for example.) 

I'd be curious as to their tread life on a heavier RT.

I too paid $480 for the 6 GT's to the house (and I mount my own tires,) but at half that cost, the Conti's almost seem too good to be true. (?)

I'm not a hot rodder (although I have been known to enjoy spirited canyon carving when the opportunity presents itself. :) 

If the difference was only $100 from the Pilot's to everything else, I can spread that difference over the 6,000 to 8,000 mile lifespan, but $250 less?

They have my attention.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Wayne Johnson

I've always liked and used the RS3 then 4's mileage and performance were excellent . My only complaint about them is the 4 front with the longer center groove was noticeably more unstable on road snakes aka seam sealer even in a straight line. Had a convo with the rep at Great Falls rally and said it was the first he had heard that.  Getting back to price had a lengthy conversation with sales rep from Meta at this years rally (btw former Michelin rep) and the history of the company. They have been around many years under various names. that being said I very tempted to give them a try when i need my next set of tires

On 7/24/2023 at 7:34 AM, PastorJay said:

I run Michelin pilot road tires on my r1200rt. Have just over 10k on them, Just about in need to replace. 

I want to stick with the Michelin and was wondering if anyone could suggest a possible replacement and good place at a good price. 

Thanks. 

Incredible!  I have NEVER gotten over 6k on a Michelin, and it's generally unsafe around 5,000 miles.

2 minutes ago, duckhawk64 said:

Ditto that for the rear tire. But I usually overinflate the rear by 3-4#.

Over inflating the tire causes the tire to wear faster in the center.

• Like 1

After getting just 6,000 out of my rear Pilot 6 GT (the front looks good to maybe 9,000(?) and still on the bike), I am running the rear this time b/w 38 and 40 psi (single rider,) to see if perhaps I wore down the first tire prematurely. 

On 8/14/2023 at 12:23 PM, Bernie said:

Over inflating the tire causes the tire to wear faster in the center.

Spending more thyme in the corners and less time on the slab extends tyre life.  :grin:

• Like 3