IGNORED

Northern Exposure (the ride)

TEWKS

It ain’t Alaska ;) but I’ll do my best to bring you some pictures of New Hampshire & Maine in the next few days.

Market Place Diner in Hollis NH. 

417AEFCC-96F1-4823-92DC-651635CCF026.thumb.jpeg.a3d19e1a2c556e608b655fe71fd4bfc4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.94375ebbb5a12b042993b82d4df5d3bd.jpeg

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, JC120 said:

Have a great ride hope the weather is cooler up there  

JC120

.......and less smoky.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

It ain’t Alaska ;) but I’ll do my best to bring you some pictures of New Hampshire & Maine in the next few days.

Market Place Diner in Hollis NH. 

Following.  And yes to the pictures.  Nicol and I are thinking of heading up that way next year.

• Like 1

Yeah some nice stuff to see if you’ve never been I guess. :classic_biggrin: 
First disappointment of the ride. We pulled into the campground just as it started sprinkling. Nice lady let us ride down and check out the sites and they were perfect, grassy, on the river. She also said there was a 70% chance of rain and possibly hail. :( So, our campsite now looks like this. Staying in Plymouth out of the rain. 

edit… Better suck picture! :classic_biggrin: Actually, very thankful it worked out and we found a room.

image.thumb.jpeg.00d78d859056f6eab98ecc5de8211bfd.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
21 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah some nice stuff to see if you’ve never been I guess. :classic_biggrin: 
First disappointment of the ride. We pulled into the campground just as it started sprinkling. Nice lady let us ride down and check out the sites and they were perfect, grassy, on the river. She also said there was a 70% chance of rain and possibly hail. :( So, our campsite now looks like this. Staying in Plymouth out of the rain. 

edit… Better suck picture! :classic_biggrin: Actually, very thankful it worked out and we found a room.

image.thumb.jpeg.00d78d859056f6eab98ecc5de8211bfd.jpeg

That looks very similar to my GS sitting in a rainy motel parking lot at Lake George.

• Haha 1

Yeah, kinda sucks the fun out of it especially being 2k miles from home. Me, an hour and a half I could cut my losses. :classic_biggrin: Thinking tomorrow will be fine. :thumbsup:

Made it to Boundary Pond! The road in was awesome! Got some drone footage of the pond but that‘s gonna take a few. :classic_biggrin:
image.thumb.jpeg.458a6edbc51c19209cb2e398870ad383.jpeg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, greiffster said:

Great footage.  That dang thing is fast.  

Yeah, I think he challenged me to a race, or something.  :whistle:

• Like 1

Yeah, it’s a pretty fast drone. I guess they have some, well even the Dji FPV, that will do close to double the speed of the Avata. :burnout:

In that approach, I yelled to Mitch “don’t move”! :classic_biggrin:

So, we made it to Rockwood a little bit ago. About ten miles or so into Capital Rd we found some orange tape. Thankfully it was there! 
image.thumb.jpeg.683f0681ba08b83bb470f1178343c314.jpeg

This would have messed up your day at 40 MPH.

0D3FAA51-3D1F-48F5-9FA8-F8E8B96EE409.thumb.jpeg.7abee7e3305139caf35b12ae566ccdc2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
31 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Did you stil make it across?   (asking for a friend)

We built a ramp! But both of our phones died at the same exact time! :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

No we backtracked but found another nice dirt road in the process! :thumbsup:

Edit… this was yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are staying at Maynard’s in Rockwood. The place with the red roof on the left. Tomorrow we are hiking up Kineo. That’s the rock formation at the far end of the river. 
021776E8-CCA5-44DF-9BAD-007CE78615ED.thumb.jpeg.27a0129f0dcfd25f8b8bec6d55144cf9.jpeg

For all the ground dwellers. :spittake:

image.thumb.jpeg.6e89f3f8f9765f77e7b8c6a6e5f458fc.jpeg

Prime-rib dinner tonight, it’s supposed to be almost legendary. I will post a picture and judge it in a bit. :eat:

Ok, it was worthy of the praise! I actually used some restraint. Mitch only ate half his and I didn’t touch it! :classic_biggrin:

EA7FD8E1-D467-484B-BC9B-DC50F91423FB.jpeg

• Like 8

We actually found the “end of the road” today. For motorcycles that is. :( This leads to the Golden Road which is a logging route into Canada. They don’t want tourists getting in the way I guess.

image.thumb.jpeg.4565b3a38a8cbdf0050e4926163ad12e.jpeg

I broke a bag tab on a rut.

37CF121C-0E86-449F-B7FE-14424CC4BF27.thumb.jpeg.67df623d4186c48dd5d6a8410b38b525.jpeg

Got one more vid but my phone storage is full. I’ll have to figure it out I guess. 

• Like 2

Thanks Ron. Here’s one more. Ya keeping them short is the key to unsucking home videos, I think. :rofl: 

• Like 5

Johnny Cash said it best (least in a dialect I could understand) “Everyone Goes Away In The End” Maynard’s is selling, I assume the owner is aging out and no commitment to keep it going by the children. Again, that’s only my assumption.

image.thumb.jpeg.7b7ca071c33c0969f53df46beac3cc17.jpeg

Speaking about aging, this showed up this afternoon. Two older brothers spending some time together, they cobbled this contraption up to circumnavigate Moosehead Lake. 
C504D22C-B9F5-4886-B0E4-CEFF9EA840F0.thumb.jpeg.7386525df5f6c9064c648538495910a3.jpeg

We are heading out to Bar Harbor in the morning for one more night before slabbing it home.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

The internet tells me this is the only DC 3 in existence with floats. Max Folsom of Greenville ME owns it. The airport help says he’s waiting on a carburetor and he’s going to try and fly it this year. I say brave, looking closely at it.

image.thumb.jpeg.0cf41bd9d451da8fc732f9ca17e67e02.jpeg

C9CE024E-76B0-4E6B-8DA6-54C8F364885A.thumb.jpeg.cfe8d7739033534fe2a1d9cb146dd8e4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6aafcd7faca325e91a85bea4a23601cf.jpeg

• Like 3
roadscholar
52 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I’ll probably stick to the ground flying! :classic_biggrin:

Yeah we don't want you going up in that thing, there's a reason it's the only DC-3 in the world with floats, I bet that carburetor will be on order for a good while : )

• Like 1
  • Smile 2

And finally Bar Harbor to close this down. It’s not like the other places we’ve been and that’s ok.C337AE49-558A-4180-BB1A-FF2108E5FA1B.thumb.jpeg.c4006e4fb753707a20e98cbac2463e36.jpeg

1C9069D5-AA3C-4A78-AC7D-BF4143F66C44.thumb.jpeg.519c4a0357495926ab6b14fa3843352f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

Good stuff, Pat!   The water at the Trestle road Bridge looks absolutely pristine.   I loved all the photos and videos.   Thanks for letting us ride (and fly) along.   

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2

Epilogue. :read: :spittake:

Got home this afternoon just before some big rains came in which is good. Here’s a little tidbit that’s going to sound like bullshit but I’ll tell it anyway. As we were packing up our stuff in Bar Harbor I noticed a tip envelope for the room cleaner. Her name was Angie. In my warped sense of humor I was going to write down these lyrics on the envelope.

With no lovin' in our souls
And no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied

But I left a few bucks instead. :thumbsup: Now here’s the reason for even bringing this up. I rolled out to the edge of the parking lot waiting on Mitch. I power on Pandora while I waited and I swear, Angie by the Stones starts playing! :classic_ohmy:

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the ride along, Pat. Brought back memories of traveling with the brothers n wives in the same areas. Great riding in those parts. Just need to be aware of the speeding log trucks on the muddy roads. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it Larry. I’ve been traveling up to that area for exactly forty years off and on. I guess that tells you two things. I love it up there and, I’m getting fricken old! :D

At the risk of “jumping the shark” here’s what I brought home as a parting gift. :)

hope this works 

edit… it didn’t (vid)

now maybe

56B71748-0D7D-405D-9BAF-AE468A760414.thumb.jpeg.236902a6c6b7aeb9a75a9c916adc290b.jpeg

Lone_RT_rider
On 7/29/2023 at 8:22 PM, TEWKS said:

Got home this afternoon just before some big rains came in which is good. Here’s a little tidbit that’s going to sound like bullshit but I’ll tell it anyway. As we were packing up our stuff in Bar Harbor I noticed a tip envelope for the room cleaner. Her name was Angie. In my warped sense of humor I was going to write down these lyrics on the envelope.

But I left a few bucks instead. :thumbsup: Now here’s the reason for even bringing this up. I rolled out to the edge of the parking lot waiting on Mitch. I power on Pandora while I waited and I swear, Angie by the Stones starts playing! :classic_ohmy:

When I left for Torrey in the Spring of 2011 it had been 4 years and a failed relationship since the last one I attended.  I suited up and mentally started preparing for the multiple days of slabbing it would take to even get to meet Mitch somewhere on the great plains.  As I did.... this was the first song to shuffle in as I left the drive way......

You really can't make this stuff up.....

• Like 3
Dennis Andress
On 7/29/2023 at 5:22 PM, TEWKS said:

Angie? That's what the envelope at the hotel in Bluff, Utah said...

• Smile 1
51 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Angie? That's what the envelope at the hotel in Bluff, Utah said..

Angies is good at cleaning hotel rooms, I guess. :spittake: Waiting on a Brandy, I’ve got some lyrics in mind. :whistle: Got one more video I’m working on using some cuts that didn’t make it into the first shows. I’m going to try and do some voiceovers, that’s terrifying! :eek:

• Smile 1
8 hours ago, Mitch Triumphant said:

Thanks for sharing Pat, now I know what all the pictures were for. Next trip I will bring a comb!

You’ll have to buy an RT then. There ain’t no “combs” on “Adventure Rides”. :grin: Had a great time traveling with you BTW, thanks for taking part! :thumbsup:

Ok, you asked for it! :yes: What, wait a minute, you didn’t ask for it? :classic_blush: My people told me…:rofl: 

• Like 8
roadscholar

Nice job Pat, you're starting to look like a pro, the drone work, editing, voiceover, and music all were great. That's some beautiful country too and amazing how sparsely populated, I was thinking how cool those endless forests would look in Fall with the changing colors. Maynard's looks like a great place too, hope the new owners keep it rustic and Taco Van was very cool, I noticed it had Washington state plates, likely not just a boulevard cruiser. You're fortunate to have such great riding close by. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1