IGNORED

Opinions wanted, failed brake caliper after service

Agboett

I had the rear brake & caliper serviced less than 200 miles ago -- I got home from a 30 mile ride & found this -- Should I be upset at the shop or is this bad luck ?  Opinions wanted 2003 bmw r1150r

20230722_154248.jpg

I don’t think luck was involved here. Shop is to blame if they’re the last to touch it. That could’ve ended up being catastrophic. 

That's not bad luck but definitely a bad/careless mechanic. Any person on this forum who has worked on brakes will attest to that. The shop needs to fix that on their dime. Period!

That^^^^^^. I’d be explaining to the shop and the owner you could have killed me. Fix it right this time on your dime. 

4 hours ago, Agboett said:

Gow could those bolts come free ?

I vote for not torqued correctly. 

• Plus 1 2

Glad you made it unscathed.

Did the rim get damaged?

Also, if you take it back to the shop, you will have to figure out a way to secure the caliper (doubtful that you have spare bolts) or have it towed.

Good luck.

Joe Frickin' Friday
16 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

have it towed.

that should be the shop’s responsibility (ideally, they would make the arrangements and pay, but at the very least they should pay), since they’re the ones that disable this bike on the road.

• 1 month later...

They covered it all -- they did say they did not think it was pads on one side as someone suggested, I did not press as they were forthright & accomadating 

• Like 2