IGNORED

TFT Speedo Accuracy

RPG

dirtrider
13 hours ago, Hati said:

You mean higher, yes?  Actual speed is lower, you go slower than indicated.

The amount depends on the vehicle, but ALWAYS slower than the numbers you see. For example: the '21 RT I have is 7 to 9 km/h under indicated speed. The '13 R is only 2 to 3 slower. My work and personal cars are both in your range, identical make and model, vintage is different. Previous cars have been different to all the listed values too.

The law in most developed countries is the same, speedo must indicate more than actual speed. Some countries define by how much, others like Australia don't particularly care, as long as the range is right.

Morning  Hati

The BMW motorcycle is built & sold  in Germany so their speedometer specs are most likely what the speedometer/odometer is most designed to meet. I can't speak for BMW but typically vehicles are designed , tested, & validated to meet the requirements in their main market. 

Then if they can't/don't meet the requirements in the country they export to then they make modifications/changes for each of those countries. 

The German/European speedometer requirements are pretty strict so the basic German calibrations are probably well within most export requirements.  Just keep in mind this is with OEM spec tires.  

speedometer error.jpg

My 2022 RT is consistently reading 2mph high.

Want to cruise at 75?  Set it for 77.

I’ve had it checked a few different ways, including a Radar car (with permission) and the 2 mph is pretty much aways there.

Also, I staged that photo and in the process, some blouse wearing poodle walker gave me a hard time about it and was on the phone calling the local PD.   He never could explain just what crime I was committing and no police ever showed up.

AD (I did leave the sign there when I left)

i-VmbSZfj-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
RandyShields

After reading this thread, I was curious, as I thought my 2016 RT speedometer was fairly accurate.  Confirmed on a ride today:  it reads 69 when the GPS showed 70.  Pretty happy with that.  We couldn't figure out why a friend on a 2021 1250 RT was always saying he was riding above the speed limit when leading.  When we checked his speedometer, it was 8 mph lower than actual!

• Plus 1 1

My 2019 1250RT is similar to Randy-about 1-2 miles off from GPS.  I haven't used the bike speedo for my last two bikes as I find the GPS much more accurate.   

And Randy, you're making those of us who can't get out to ride quite yet jealous!   28 and 25 mph winds just don't make me want to ride.  So, I put another coat of sealant on the bike.

• Like 2

The newest Italian in my garage reads one mph high......I am now impressed! Never would have thought...........:dontknow:

Steveyacht

Here's my final comment. Let the manufacturers make the speedo as accurate as possible, as equipped with stock tires, inflated to the  recommended pressures.  If I screw up and break the law, that's my problem. It's not the manufacturer's job to keep me from getting a summons, period.

• Plus 1 1