IGNORED

Hill Start Control.

kruuuzn

Has anyone figured out the difference between MANUAL and AUTO? The manual only states how to engage each one and the required steps are the same.

Manual is when you tap the foot brake at a stop, which activated the Hill Hold.  No hill needed.

Automatic is when the bike does it for you when you come to a stop.  Sensors detect gradient and bike roll to grab it for you.  You can release the clutch and ride off or tap the foot brake to release it.  

I have mine set to AUTO, which sometimes activates itself when I do no need it (movement out of the garage)  :dontknow:

• 5 weeks later...

I have mine in manual. Put it in auto once, and it engaged when I didn't want to, so figured it's much better in manual, since it'd only activate whenever you want to. And you can set it up with the brake lever too, which is my method (I hardly ever use the foot brake, since the brakes are linked front to rear).

• 1 month later...

Yep, with either one. It's perfect in manual mode IMO. It's too sensitive in auto; even a 1% incline triggered it, and I didn't notice, nor expected that. And since I'm always very easy on the clutch when taking off (to minimize wear), I obviously stalled the bike. Ha ha. So turned it off at the next stop. I've only used it once, when I needed my right hand for something. It's nice to have it.

• Like 1

I keep it set to auto on my 21 GS and find it works well. If only on mild incline or decline activates and deactivates with normal throttle clutch action. When on a steep incline or decline it takes more throttle to disengage. Seems pretty intuitive to me. If I want it on a flat, a quick squeeze of the front brake, or back brake activates it.

Indeed, especially if you always cover the front brake, like I do (with index/middle fingers). Plus our bikes have partially linked brakes, so no need to touch the rear pedal, with the possible exception of U-turns. But since I also cover the clutch with 2 fingers, allowing full control of the handlebars (something you can't do with all 4 on the clutch), so I rarely need to use the rear brake... but also cover it in those situations, just in case.