IGNORED

Should I cover my bike on its trailer?

Rob Nowell

I will be towing my bike from SoCal to Western MT this year.  I'm thinking of throwing the good, all-weather cover over the bike for a little protection, but wonder if the draft would make it a bad idea.  It will be a single Kendon behind a Ford Ranger.  Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

From what I have read this isn't advisable because the cover will whip in the wind and quite possibly abrade the paint in spots.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2

It will need to be tied down tightly. Any fluttering of the cover at speed will rub the paint thru to the primer or base material. Any metal will also get scuffed badly.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1

If you don't cover it while riding, why cover it while yanking?  .......but that's jus' me.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
  • Thinking 1

I also tow a Kendon single with my Ford Ranger. So far about 2,000 miles with 2 different BMW's on it. Am leaving next Tuesday for about a 1,600-mile round trip with my wife's Yamaha Majesty in tow. Never covered and never even gave it a thought. Always figured it would occur less problems on the trailer than riding it down the road.

• Like 3

You might want to try to figure out some kind of shield to prevent the schmootz that kicks up behind the vehicle from hammering the bike, but that might be a pia to do well.

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

You might want to try to figure out some kind of shield to prevent the schmootz that kicks up behind the vehicle from hammering the bike, but that might be a pia to do well.

I won't have to stop at any weigh stations, will I?

1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

I also tow a Kendon single with my Ford Ranger. So far about 2,000 miles with 2 different BMW's on it. Am leaving next Tuesday for about a 1,600-mile round trip with my wife's Yamaha Majesty in tow. Never covered and never even gave it a thought. Always figured it would occur less problems on the trailer than riding it down the road.

Weigh stations are not required, are they?

23 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

I won't have to stop at any weigh stations, will I?

Nope, not at all.  I used to pull 12000lbs toy hauler (loaded with a Jeep) and it is not required.  Additionally, I never stopped at a weigh station driving a 26ft fully loaded Penske truck yanking a fully loaded enclosed trailer.

Only commercial drivers need to stop (there may be exceptions I'm not aware of)

szurszewski

You do not need to stop at any weigh stations (you're not towing with a commercial for-hire tractor or anything like that, right?) and there's really no good reason to cover - I would not even bother with a tow-safe cover as mentioned above. In particular your route and time of year don't present any more danger to the bikes than riding would (no slush/road salt etc - probably not even any rain!). If you're worried about kicking up rocks and such, I'd say make sure you have good full coverage mud/rock flaps on the tow vehicle. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Bodhi65 said:

Saran Wrap on the front windshield, headlights, fairing. 

yep---that wrapping cellophane is what I have in mind

• 2 weeks later...

The problem isn't just the wind whipping the cover against the bikes paint and plastics. The REAL problem comes when you are in the rain for a while. That dirty rain/road dirt mixture hits the bike and cover. Works down into the cover and there you have cloth full of abrasive grit rubbing all over your bike.. 

Not saying there are those that tow with a cover and do alright. But I have seen too many cases of bikes AND cars that have ruined the paint from towing with a cover on. 

• Like 1
Etienne Lau

IMHO, I would not cover with a tarp or anything that can flap. The trailer protects against most issues of debris hitting the motorcycle. And bugs etc...might still hit the motorcycle and that's no different you riding down the highway....

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say that yes, that worked. The rider and passenger are lucky to be alive. The truck driver should get a stern talking to. Very stern. Like punch to the face stern.

So there you go Rob (op), no tarp!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Like punch to the face stern

Hosstage....I dont think you live in Texas...but you would be welcome here.  Lot's of Harley dealers and riders too.  My favorite Harley Dealer is Republic Harley.  Good folks.

• Like 1