IGNORED

2011 R1200RT No Start, No Crank

JustinWi

Hi All,

My 2011 r1200rt is currently not starting or cranking. Battery is 1 year old, currently 12.7 volts. Just replaced start/kill switch as I though this was bad - but it did not fix the problem. Starter relay has 12v on terminal 5, nothing on terminal 3 when start switch is pressed. If i remove the relay from the bike and apply 12v to terminals 1 and 2 I can hear the relay click, and there is continuity between 3 and 5 - but this does not happen when relay is installed in bike and start switch is pressed. Do you think this is a bad relay, or is there a start up sequence/ safety check that happens before allowing power to pass to the relay?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Justin

Side stand and clutch switches are also in circuit with the starter switch, plus the engine kill switch of course. You could try bridging each of those switches in turn at the nearest connector to rule them out.

12 hours ago, JustinWi said:

Hi All,

My 2011 r1200rt is currently not starting or cranking. Battery is 1 year old, currently 12.7 volts. Just replaced start/kill switch as I though this was bad - but it did not fix the problem. Starter relay has 12v on terminal 5, nothing on terminal 3 when start switch is pressed. If i remove the relay from the bike and apply 12v to terminals 1 and 2 I can hear the relay click, and there is continuity between 3 and 5 - but this does not happen when relay is installed in bike and start switch is pressed. Do you think this is a bad relay, or is there a start up sequence/ safety check that happens before allowing power to pass to the relay?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Justin

Morning Justin 

Is "EWS" showing on the dash when you turn the key on or try to start it?   EWS is German for "Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre".

That (EWS) warning means the system electronics is not correctly reading the pellet in the key.

If no (EWS) showing on the dash then is the neutral light illuminated?  If that is illuminated then the clutch switch should not matter.  

It doesn't sound like the starter relay but you can't count it out.

What does that 12.7 battery voltage do when you turn the key on then push the start button? (is it staying above 11.5v?)

Put your meter (or 12v test light) across 1 & 2  of harness connector terminals  (starter relay removed) then with key on & in neutral  push the starter button. The test light should light (or 12v shows) when you push the starter button. (does it?)

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Justin 

Is "EWS" showing on the dash when you turn the key on or try to start it?   EWS is German for "Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre".

That (EWS) warning means the system electronics is not correctly reading the pellet in the key.

If no (EWS) showing on the dash then is the neutral light illuminated?  If that is illuminated then the clutch switch should not matter.  

It doesn't sound like the starter relay but you can't count it out.

What does that 12.7 battery voltage do when you turn the key on then push the start button? (is it staying above 11.5v?)

Put your meter (or 12v test light) across 1 & 2  of harness connector terminals  (starter relay removed) then with key on & in neutral  push the starter button. The test light should light (or 12v shows) when you push the starter button. (does it?)

There is no EWS Fault so i do not think it is the immobilizer.  When I push the start button the voltage on the battery does not change.  With my meter on terminals 1 and 2 of the harness, with relay removed, if i press the start button there is no voltage.

3 hours ago, Hati said:

Side stand and clutch switches are also in circuit with the starter switch, plus the engine kill switch of course. You could try bridging each of those switches in turn at the nearest connector to rule them out.

How would I jump out the side stand switch?  I don' t think its the clutch switch as the bike does not start in neutral (so clutch should not matter, at least I think) and I can hear each contact of the clutch switch engage if i slowly squeeze the clutch.

1 hour ago, JustinWi said:

How would I jump out the side stand switch?  I don' t think its the clutch switch as the bike does not start in neutral (so clutch should not matter, at least I think) and I can hear each contact of the clutch switch engage if i slowly squeeze the clutch.

Morning Justin 

If the neutral light on????????

If the neutral light is (ON) then side stand switch should not matter as it should start  in neutral with the side stand up or down. Have you tried starting in neutral with the side stand up & with it down?

With my meter on terminals 1 and 2 of the harness, with relay removed, if i press the start button there is no voltage--- OK, this usually means the system is either not seeing the start button input, OR the system electronics are not allowing an engine crank. If no EWS showing then the system is more than likely seeing & verifying the key pellet so that is not likely the problem. 

Does relay (harness side)  terminal 1 or 2 have 12v with key ON?  

Any chance you can get a GS-911 on that motorcycle? 

You can try a battery disconnect for about 30 minutes, then a re-connect  (just to eliminate any chance the system is somehow locked out). 

Have you checked your fuses (if your motorcycle have them). Shouldn't matter for starting but could effect what you see on the dash. 

1200rt fuse asign.jpg

10 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Justin 

If the neutral light on????????

If the neutral light is (ON) then side stand switch should not matter as it should start  in neutral with the side stand up or down. Have you tried starting in neutral with the side stand up & with it down?

With my meter on terminals 1 and 2 of the harness, with relay removed, if i press the start button there is no voltage--- OK, this usually means the system is either not seeing the start button input, OR the system electronics are not allowing an engine crank. If no EWS showing then the system is more than likely seeing & verifying the key pellet so that is not likely the problem. 

Does relay (harness side)  terminal 1 or 2 have 12v with key ON?  

Any chance you can get a GS-911 on that motorcycle? 

You can try a battery disconnect for about 30 minutes, then a re-connect  (just to eliminate any chance the system is somehow locked out). 

Good Morning,

Yes the neutral light is on, and I verified the bike is in neutral by spinning the rear wheel with my hand.  I have tried starting in neutral with the side stand up and down - no change unfortunately.

Harness side does not have 12v with key on at terminal 1 and 2.  I disconnected the battery for about an hour to try and reset the computer, and to verify the battery terminal connections were tight and not corroded but that did not help.

Do places rent the gs-911?  I do not own one and they're going for $400.

I replaced the start/kill switch but perhaps the replacement is also faulty?  Is there any kind of test I can do to verify the switch is functioning?

Thank You!

justin

11 minutes ago, JustinWi said:

Good Morning,

Yes the neutral light is on, and I verified the bike is in neutral by spinning the rear wheel with my hand.  I have tried starting in neutral with the side stand up and down - no change unfortunately.

Harness side does not have 12v with key on at terminal 1 and 2.  I disconnected the battery for about an hour to try and reset the computer, and to verify the battery terminal connections were tight and not corroded but that did not help.

Do places rent the gs-911?  I do not own one and they're going for $400.

I replaced the start/kill switch but perhaps the replacement is also faulty?  Is there any kind of test I can do to verify the switch is functioning?

Thank You!

justin

Morning Justin 

With no 12v on either 1 or 2 that tells us the the computer systems is not supplying 12v to the relay. 

Unfortunately I am not near my BMW wiring diagrams at the moment as I am away from my shop for a while.

I don't know about renting a GS-911, probably not. Do you belong to a BMW club? If so then I'm sure that someone in your club will have one & be willing to read your system during a start attempt. 

You can also try a Moto-Scan (much cheaper to buy) unfortunately I don't know much About the Moto-Scan as I don't use one myself & have had a few issues is deciphering the fault codes for others that have sent me fault codes but it does seem to work as far as pointing to most simple issues.

Possibly someone that uses the Moto-Scan will come along & give you some Moto-Scan prices & what all is needed connection wise.  

You can try to jump the side stand switch (white wire) to the (brown wire) (ON THE SIDE STAND switch side)  of the pigtail connector to main harness. Wire color & position  changes on the motorcycle side of the side stand harness. 

14 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Justin 

With no 12v on either 1 or 2 that tells us the the computer systems is not supplying 12v to the relay. 

Unfortunately I am not near my BMW wiring diagrams at the moment as I am away from my shop for a while.

I don't know about renting a GS-911, probably not. Do you belong to a BMW club? If so then I'm sure that someone in your club will have one & be willing to read your system during a start attempt. 

You can also try a Moto-Scan (much cheaper to buy) unfortunately I don't know much About the Moto-Scan as I don't use one myself & have had a few issues is deciphering the fault codes for others that have sent me fault codes but it does seem to work as far as pointing to most simple issues.

Possibly someone that uses the Moto-Scan will come along & give you some Moto-Scan prices & what all is needed connection wise.  

I can ask some community clubs if someone has a gs-911, but I am not a member - I would be hesitant to loan such an expensive tool to a stranger!

Thank you for your help and suggestions!  If any other ideas pop into mind please let me know.

Thanks again!

I've done a bit more trouble shooting.  If I jump terminal 3 to 5 on the starter relay harness, the bike turns over, but does not start.  Could this possibly be a fuel pump or fuel pump controller problem?

Thanks

justin

2 hours ago, JustinWi said:

I've done a bit more trouble shooting.  If I jump terminal 3 to 5 on the starter relay harness, the bike turns over, but does not start.  Could this possibly be a fuel pump or fuel pump controller problem?

Thanks

justin

Afternoon justin

Probably not the pump (at least not the root cause of the problem), it should crank OK with the pump not working. Sounds more like something is preventing your fueling computer from allowing a start & run.  Could even be a failed fueling computer. 

Is the dash FULLY coming alive when you turn the key on?

A GS-911 would be a big help to you about now. 

I've resolved the problem. It was something with the immobilizer, even though it wasn't throwing an EWS fault on the display. I used the key to engage and disengage the fork lock a few times, and then the bike fired right up.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread!

Justin

58 minutes ago, JustinWi said:

I've resolved the problem. It was something with the immobilizer, even though it wasn't throwing an EWS fault on the display. I used the key to engage and disengage the fork lock a few times, and then the bike fired right up.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread!

Justin

Afternoon justin

You were probably also tuning the forks to the side. If it happens again try reaching in & wiggling the harness pigtail wires coming from the ignition switch.