IGNORED

Cleaning black rims - wire wheels

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

Yes, I know and I've heard it before "Don't wash your GS, just ride it".  Everyone is different in this respect and I prefer a clean(er) GS. 

So, I'm having the same issue with the 2019 GSA that I had with my 2019 GS.  The black rims always seem dirty even after I clean them.  I currently use a paint friendly automotive wheel cleaner and it looks fine until the wheel dries.  At that point you can still see the haze of dirt that seems to be embedded in the lightly textured surface of the black rims.  I did a search and watched a few videos on you tube and the only thing I have found that I haven't tried at this point is using baby wipes on the rim.  

Does anyone use anything different? Thoughts?

I'm no help.  I start cleaning mine and the spokes piss me off and I give up in under 5 minutes.

szurszewski
5 hours ago, greiffster said:

I'm no help.  I start cleaning mine and the spokes piss me off and I give up in under 5 minutes.

I don't think I've ever made it to five minutes - is it really that hard? 

While my 2019 hasn't been off the pavement, it also has not been washed since I purchased it in 2019, but if you feel the need, throw it in the dishwasher.

8 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I don't think I've ever made it to five minutes - is it really that hard? 

Well unless you get in there with a brush, you leave little dirty spots around the spokes.

I do well enough to remove the former wheel weight black goo.

Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, greiffster said:

Well unless you get in there with a brush, you leave little dirty spots around the spokes.

I've been using a brush while scrubbing with the automotive wheel cleaner.  It's still leaving a dirty haze (tan'ish) all over the black rims.  

2 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

I've been using a brush while scrubbing with the automotive wheel cleaner.  It's still leaving a dirty haze (tan'ish) all over the black rims.  

I you had an '08, you'd probably not be inclined to worry about it.  Just sayin'  :dontknow:

• Haha 1
Lone_RT_rider
7 minutes ago, greiffster said:

I you had an '08, you'd probably not be inclined to worry about it.  Just sayin'  :dontknow:

You obviously have not spent a large amount of time with me..... lol

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
szurszewski
1 hour ago, greiffster said:

I do well enough to remove the former wheel weight black goo.

A benefit, perhaps, of having given up on wearing my glasses is I can’t see any spots on my wheels. I could investigate to find out if they are in fact present, but I think I’ll just choose to believe they are not!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 9:37 AM, Lone_RT_rider said:

Yes, I know and I've heard it before "Don't wash your GS, just ride it".  Everyone is different in this respect and I prefer a clean(er) GS. 

So, I'm having the same issue with the 2019 GSA that I had with my 2019 GS.  The black rims always seem dirty even after I clean them.  I currently use a paint friendly automotive wheel cleaner and it looks fine until the wheel dries.  At that point you can still see the haze of dirt that seems to be embedded in the lightly textured surface of the black rims.  I did a search and watched a few videos on you tube and the only thing I have found that I haven't tried at this point is using baby wipes on the rim.  

Does anyone use anything different? Thoughts?

Just found something that works well.  My truck has black matte finished wheels and it worked great.  Just used it on the GS and worked a treat.  Spray on, let it work for a few minutes and scrubbed with a barrel brush.

20230721_120411.thumb.jpg.0e8136310884889d1e05bb0bbe2290c1.jpg20230721_120347.thumb.jpg.d061427714438bdabf9792cdb1340073.jpg20230721_120352.thumb.jpg.267e20e12547090415b96a4b0455753b.jpg 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...
On 7/22/2023 at 2:11 AM, MikeB60 said:

Just found something that works well.  My truck has black matte finished wheels and it worked great.  Just used it on the GS and worked a treat.  Spray on, let it work for a few minutes and scrubbed with a barrel brush.

20230721_120411.thumb.jpg.0e8136310884889d1e05bb0bbe2290c1.jpg20230721_120347.thumb.jpg.d061427714438bdabf9792cdb1340073.jpg20230721_120352.thumb.jpg.267e20e12547090415b96a4b0455753b.jpg 

Hate to be a pain in the ass  Mike after you helped me earlier  . 

Firstly  , thanks for the cleaning tip  , those extra wheels I picked up looked dirty even after I've cleaned them  . 

Secondly  , I  see 90 degree valves on your wheels pictured  , do they have TPMS ?  Or have you deleted them  ? 

1 hour ago, Ozzyal said:

Hate to be a pain in the ass  Mike after you helped me earlier  . 

Firstly  , thanks for the cleaning tip  , those extra wheels I picked up looked dirty even after I've cleaned them  . 

Secondly  , I  see 90 degree valves on your wheels pictured  , do they have TPMS ?  Or have you deleted them  ? 

They have TPMS. 

Yep I bought new tpms sensors from a guy in Germany. I use two sets of wheels and have the TPMS serial numbers written down to I can quickly use my GS 911 to switch the settings for the different wheels

I've got sensors in the new wheels too  , but they're straight valves  , tipping they'll be awkward to use  .