IGNORED

07 1200 Stuck brushes

Dave P

2007 R1200RT, I'm getting ready to take her apart to resolve what has been suggested to me from knowledgeable people as Stuck Brushes on my ABS unit. My brakes seem to function fine but the Brake Failure light is on. Don't think my ABS functions. When I first owned it about a year ago it took a mile or so before the light came on, seems like now it's just on all the time. I think I know the procedure but thought I'd post here for advice before I go in. Is the task actually replacing the ABS brushes? Ive bled the ABS block on my 1100RT but have not on this 1200RT. I might be asking more questions on this as I get into it. Maybe the problem is something else? Thanks in advance! Dave

10 hours ago, Dave P said:

2007 R1200RT, I'm getting ready to take her apart to resolve what has been suggested to me from knowledgeable people as Stuck Brushes on my ABS unit. My brakes seem to function fine but the Brake Failure light is on. Don't think my ABS functions. When I first owned it about a year ago it took a mile or so before the light came on, seems like now it's just on all the time. I think I know the procedure but thought I'd post here for advice before I go in. Is the task actually replacing the ABS brushes? Ive bled the ABS block on my 1100RT but have not on this 1200RT. I might be asking more questions on this as I get into it. Maybe the problem is something else? Thanks in advance! Dave

Morning Dave

What stored brake fault codes are you seeing with a GS-911? If a sticking brush then you will probably have either a 24048 or 24049- (or both).

I'm not even sure where you will find new brushes for your ABS module. I haven't really seen them worn very much, they just stick in the holders. So the repair is to get the brushes to move smoothly & easily within the brush holders.  

The brush fix is fairly easy, it's getting the ABS module motor apart to access the brushes that will be a test of your mechanical skill. 

DR- I'll contact my friend who helped me with his 911 about the fault code, maybe it's stored in the 911?

Everything looks easy on YouTube but I think I understand the process. Once opened, do you add a little lubricant to those brushes so they slide? D

18 minutes ago, Dave P said:

DR- I'll contact my friend who helped me with his 911 about the fault code, maybe it's stored in the 911?

Everything looks easy on YouTube but I think I understand the process. Once opened, do you add a little lubricant to those brushes so they slide? D

Morning Dave

No lubrication used, oils or the like will eventually make  it worse & dry graphite can cause issues if it migrates into other areas. Some just pry the brush holder open a little more.  Personally I stone the inside of the brush holder to smooth it out  with a long stones 320 grit, then 500 grit, then 1000 grit.  

Ok, smooth and dry. Got it. A friend with an 08 1200 has made this repair, was gonna help me with mine but we mov d 500 miles away and I missed my chance for assistance. So I'm going it on my own.  D