IGNORED

Key Fob Battery Life....

Twisties

Mine is a 2020 1250 GS and the key fob battery lasts several months, maybe I've changed it once, maybe twice in the year and a few months I've had the bike.  I've put about 8k miles on it.  Sharon's, @Bullett , bike is a 2021 1250 GS Factory Low and the key fob battery lasts a few weeks.  Sometimes she gets a low battery warning in 2 weeks.  She got her bike about the same time and has put 4k miles on it.

Batteries for both bikes are coming from the same blister pack. Key fobs are generally stored in the house together on a key rack.  Bikes are stored in a detached garage.  Probably 50' from bikes to key fobs when in storage.

What is going on here?  Why is her bike chewing through batteries?

3 hours ago, Twisties said:

Mine is a 2020 1250 GS and the key fob battery lasts several months, maybe I've changed it once, maybe twice in the year and a few months I've had the bike.  I've put about 8k miles on it.  Sharon's, @Bullett , bike is a 2021 1250 GS Factory Low and the key fob battery lasts a few weeks.  Sometimes she gets a low battery warning in 2 weeks.  She got her bike about the same time and has put 4k miles on it.

Batteries for both bikes are coming from the same blister pack. Key fobs are generally stored in the house together on a key rack.  Bikes are stored in a detached garage.  Probably 50' from bikes to key fobs when in storage.

What is going on here?  Why is her bike chewing through batteries?

Evening Jan

Can you find a sell-by date on your blister pack?

Probably the easiest thing to do is to try a different battery blister pack or just but 2 brand new batteries as a test. Or even try a different battery brand.   

If you have a good volt meter then put that on each battery before installing as possibly the batteries that you have are starting out degraded.   

• Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Have you tried swapping bike positions in the garage? Maybe some strange emi affecting the situation.

They are moved around a lot, depending what's going on out there.  

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Jan

Can you find a sell-by date on your blister pack?

Probably the easiest thing to do is to try a different battery blister pack or just but 2 brand new batteries as a test. Or even try a different battery brand.   

If you have a good volt meter then put that on each battery before installing as possibly the batteries that you have are starting out degraded.   

No date, but as I say, my key fob is running on the same batteries from the same blister pack.  I did order a new pack, however.  

How long does that battery last until no worky?  

The reason I ask is because my recent new battery started showing the warning a month, or so, ago.  I have the spare, but every time I start the bike, the warning comes and goes quickly  so I never really see it long enough to determine if it shows power level or not.

Me?  On my RT, the original lasted close to 3 years (+/- 39k miles) and the new one (Duracell) is still going, but now with dash warning.

Thanks.

As an aside, I keep my 2nd fob on the bike with the battery installed backwards, just in case it's needed due to loss or failure of the first. I also carry a spare battery or two.

I try to change batteries every year, but am not very strict about it.

12 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I try to change batteries every year, but am not very strict about it.

My fobs last a long time… usually several years.  But after one failed on a long trip, I developed a new plan that solves everything.

At some point each spring there is a thread like this one.  And when I see that thread, it reminds me to buy new batteries and refresh all the fobs.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

How long does that battery last until no worky?  

The reason I ask is because my recent new battery started showing the warning a month, or so, ago.  I have the spare, but every time I start the bike, the warning comes and goes quickly  so I never really see it long enough to determine if it shows power level or not.

Me?  On my RT, the original lasted close to 3 years (+/- 39k miles) and the new one (Duracell) is still going, but now with dash warning.

Thanks.

Not long.  She's pushed it twice now and I'd guess maybe she gets a week or so from warning to not starting.  

The new batteries will be here next week.  We'll see how they do.

• Thanks 1
Bill Murray

My original key fob battery failed after 6 months. My second key fob battery was replaced by a dealer while troubleshooting an unrelated electrical issue (about 11 months of battery use -- it was still good). I have 6 months on the latest fob, so far, with no issues. I keep a spare key fob battery on the bike, just in case.

• Like 1

I carry an extra battery for the key-fob in my tank bag for easy access if I need it on the road.  So far I'm still on the original battery from bike purchase, at 1 year and 5 months / 24k miles.

Yes, we both have extras on board.  Although she just used my last one, hence the order for a new pack.  That's why we were comfortable pushing it until they actually failed.

• Like 1

On my 21 1250RT the lifespan for remote battery is significantly shorter than on my 06 1200RT. I don't know how long it lasts but I have reflected over that it is short compared to past and to the cars as well. Cars span from 11 to 21 vintage. 

I believe the new electronic "all over the bike" does use more communication with key fob and so far I have not complained. Will continue to follow it.

H

8 hours ago, bimmers said:

On my 21 1250RT the lifespan for remote battery is significantly shorter than on my 06 1200RT.

Battery in the '06 key/fob? Are you sure? I have/had both these bikes and my '06 RT needed only the correct key with the RFID chip in it.

• Like 1
On 7/15/2023 at 8:47 PM, Hati said:

Battery in the '06 key/fob? Are you sure? I have/had both these bikes and my '06 RT needed only the correct key with the RFID chip in it.

That is correct.

On 7/15/2023 at 2:22 PM, bimmers said:

On my 21 1250RT the lifespan for remote battery is significantly shorter than on my 06 1200RT. I don't know how long it lasts but I have reflected over that it is short compared to past and to the cars as well. Cars span from 11 to 21 vintage. 

I believe the new electronic "all over the bike" does use more communication with key fob and so far I have not complained. Will continue to follow it.

H

Mornings  bimmers

They are different type systems, your old 2006 (if it had the optional BMW anti-theft system) only used the key fob to enable or disable the anti-theft electronics when you pushed the button.  The newer BMW's like the 1250RT have a more constant communication when the fob is within range of the motorcycle. 

Wow . I finally replaced the battery in my fob last summer . It was original to my 2016 bike . Heck ,I'm still on the original battery for the bike itself ...Wonder what I'm doing wrong..

HOW DXXX STUPID COULD I BE????

06 key fob, SORRY guys my confusion, I was thinking of the cars of course of the bikes only the 21 one has it in my case. Only a key for my 06RT. 

So my comment is only that it has been very individual in my case for many different cars. In the beginning BMW even had some fobs that charged when in slot inside the car. 

With the bike the experience is that battery life is short, too short. 

H

• 3 months later...

So AGAIN keyfob battery low limited functionality displayed. Battery could not have been more than 1-2 months at most. I measured voltage and it came out as 3.1V new one is maybe 3.2-3.3V. They are out of blister multi pack no date or I have torn it off. Earlier I also used single pack Duracells and same experience. Will have dealer address this with BMW as it is not acceptable to have to travel with spare batteries !! I have never encountered that it would not have turned on ignition, but it has done so reluctantly when warning flashed. 

Any other comments than above on this subject? 

H