IGNORED

Motoscan stepper parking

Hogges

Hi,

Is anyone here using motoscan instead of the GS-911 tool? I tried parking the throttle body steppers on my 2009 GS and instead of idle dropping slightly, which is what I expected, it raised to something like 3000rpm. Motoscan customer services suggested that I should have my ECU software updated by a BMW dealer. 

• 1 month later...

Vehicle: '11 R12RT, Model: K26, 0440

Diagnostic Software: MotoScan V 1.91

Same behavior here on my camhead albeit at 2K RPM.

I wonder if MotoScan is actually parking the steppers correctly and the ECU is unable to correlate the out_of_range inputs to properly calculate fuel requirements?  Could be that the only air entering the throttle bodies is "leakage" around the throttle plates and the resulting mixture is very rich?   All conjecture on my part.

In any case, I balanced my throttle bodies without parking the steppers using only a TwinMax and JVB's procedure:  http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_TB_Sync.html.  The result is a very smooth running engine.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, pwillikers said:

Vehicle: '11 R12RT, Model: K26, 0440

Diagnostic Software: MotoScan V 1.91

Same behavior here on my camhead albeit at 2K RPM.

I wonder if MotoScan is actually parking the steppers correctly and the ECU is unable to correlate the out_of_range inputs to properly calculate fuel requirements?  Could be that the only air entering the throttle bodies is "leakage" around the throttle plates and the resulting mixture is very rich?   All conjecture on my part.

In any case, I balanced my throttle bodies without parking the steppers using only a TwinMax and JVB's procedure:  http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_TB_Sync.html.  The result is a very smooth running engine.  

Morning pwillikers

I wonder if MotoScan is actually parking the steppers correctly and the ECU is unable to correlate the out_of_range inputs to properly calculate fuel requirements? -- The ECU uses the o2 sensor input (only) for fueling requirements (IF in closed loop operation). It basically just matches the fuel requirements to the oxygen content remaining  in the exhaust after combustion. So in closed loop operation,  if the steppers are open farther that leans out the combustion so the o2 sensors reflect that lean condition back to the ECU  then the  ECU just adds more fuel. (this will raise the RPM's if more air is allowed to enter the intakes on the cylinder head side of the throttle plates, like more open steppers)

Could be that the only air entering the throttle bodies is "leakage" around the throttle plates and the resulting mixture is very rich? --- Air leaks around the throttle plates would yield a lean mixture.  If in closed loop operation the fueling computer (via the o2 sensor input)  would add more fuel to that air & "that" would definitely increase engine RPM.

If still in open loop operation then the fueling would be controlled by TPS input, engine RPM, engine temperature, intake air temperature,  biometric pressure, short term & long term adaptives, etc. It really pays no attention to the stepper pintle position itself but would eventually react to the higher RPM that the added air could allow.