IGNORED

Charcoal canister removal?

Scoobisteve

Scoobisteve

Just watched a video on you tube advocating the removal of the charcoal canister on my 2005 1200gs...is this a good idea? 

The canister just absorbs fuel vapors from the tank, which get sucked out again by intake vacuum and burnt.  It does not hurt performance.  I think the Oilheads had some issues with the canister, especially if the tank was overfilled and the liquid fuel went down the vent line.  Removing it does not provide a noticeable benefit on the newer bikes.

3 hours ago, Scoobisteve said:

Just watched a video on you tube advocating the removal of the charcoal canister on my 2005 1200gs...is this a good idea? 

Afternoon  Scoobisteve

It is illegal to remove a federal emission device, so there is that part.  

But otherwise that evaporation canister is one of the most effective emission devices on a vehicle as it traps hydrocarbons from the fuel tank, then later introduces those trapped hydrocarbons back into the combustion process. 

On the BMW 1200 hexhead those evap cans seldom have issues unless the fuel tank is regularly overfilled then the motorcycle parked shortly after over-filling.  

The other positive of keeping the evap can is if you store your motorcycle for months with E-10 gasoline in it  the evap can helps prevent moisture from entering the fuel tank then that moisture getting absorbed by the E-10 fuel  causing fuel system issues. 

Many GS guys toss it, as they are concerned about it being a point of failure, especially out in the boonies ;) It certainly cant hurt anything. I removed the one on my RT, no problems. I had a friend that had the canister on his '08 RT get boogered up on a ride and let the tank get sucked in.

If you do store your bike long-term, you can put a bronze-element fuel filter on the breather hose, it will allow fuel vapor and air to pass, but not h2o. If for several months, really the trick there is to store with a tank filled around 90% to maintain a proper vapor barrier. Longer than that, there are additive products to protect against excessive h2o absorption as well.

K

39 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

If you do store your bike long-term, you can put a brass-element fuel filter on the breather hose, it will allow fuel vapor and air to pass, but not h2o. If for several months, really the trick there is to store with a tank filled around 90% to maintain a proper vapor barrier. Longer than that, there are additive products to protect against excessive h2o absorption as well.

Afternoon KetoSoi

It seems like brass would be way too dense to make a good filter (either air or fuel). I have seen porous bronze filters (like the old GM cars) these are typically around 30 micron, I  have even seen some 10 micron bronze filters for fuel injected applications.   

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon KetoSoi

It seems like brass would be way too dense to make a good filter (either air or fuel). I have seen porous bronze filters (like the old GM cars) these are typically around 30 micron, I  have even seen some 10 micron bronze filters for fuel injected applications.   

Yup, you are correct... Bronze not brass, I've been resizing brass today so its on my brain, lol. Corrected my post.

I've used Edelbrock and Moroso inline filters with bronze inserts on my track bike for years, they work. A bunch of companies make them these days though. In any case, the good ones will pass air and fuel (and fuel vapor), but not h2o.

K