IGNORED

Better horn.

flyingfrogs19

I have an old horn (two parts) from my 2000 LT.  IT's a great loud horn.  Free if you want it.  I missed the ability to 'reward' drivers with my thoughts on their poor driving with this horn.  I'm in WI

BerettaRacer
On 7/13/2023 at 1:02 AM, RTinNC said:

Not sure what bike you have but there is a much better horn that is from a BMW "5" series car and it is truly plug and play.  And at a reasonable price.   I have this on my 2016 RT and my 2018 GS.  Even the connector is the same so it is truly one bolt and you are done. 

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/PartNumberSearch.aspx?pnsearch=61338381271

This is the way I went on my K12S. Space is pretty limited and this is plug & play.

2 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

This is the way I went on my K12S. Space is pretty limited and this is plug & play.

Yup ….. truly plug and play and one nut to remove 

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Pappy35 said:

How is the horn on the new RTs? Have they gone to a high/low tone, dual horn or is it still the "neet-neet" garbage like what came on my '13 RT?

I believe it pretty much depends on what year RT you are asking about.  My '06 had the awesome dual horns but my '16 came with the meep meep which I swapped out for the 5 Series car horn.  But as  Mellow has noted I believe the newer RT's have gotten much better. 

6 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

I believe it pretty much depends on what year RT you are asking about.  My '06 had the awesome dual horns but my '16 came with the meep meep which I swapped out for the 5 Series car horn.  But as  Mellow has noted I believe the newer RT's have gotten much better. 

Oops. By "new" I meant Shift-Cam-engined RTs. I'm out of touch with Beemers so I don't know what year that started.

3 minutes ago, Pappy35 said:

Oops. By "new" I meant Shift-Cam-engined RTs. I'm out of touch with Beemers so I don't know what year that started.

Not sure if the horn improved in 2019 with shift cam or in 2021 when they upgraded the look of the RT and added the 10" TFT.  But certainly the newest RTs are said to have a gooder horn. 

My 2023 R1250RT-TFT came equipped with a dual horn setup, that has woken up a few dead car drivers already.

I think it could be mounted to a WetHead/early ShiftCam RT, unless the head light is in the way. The TFT-ShiftCam RT uses a LED head light that maybe a little skinnier. 

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

My 2023 R1250RT-TFT came equipped with a dual horn setup, that has woken up a few dead car drivers already.

I think it could be mounted to a WetHead/early ShiftCam RT, unless the head light is in the way. The TFT-ShiftCam RT uses a LED head light that maybe a little skinnier. 

That dual horn set-up is killer and used to be standard on the RT until 2006.  Some '06 RTs got the dual set-up and some just got one.  (probably to save weight ...HA !!) 

Nice to see BMW finally got back to a real horn set-up. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

think it could be mounted to a WetHead/early

Hey Bernie…I thought that too. I bought a set of duals for an 1150. I mounted and wired them in. Every time I hit the horn it would honk for about 1/8 second and kill the circuit. It would reset with key off/on but would do the same thing. 

DR told me to build a harness with a relay. I did and it works. I bought the parts to make the 2-1 horn harness and a connector for the relay. It basically just required plug and play. I did have to fab a bracket to fit both horns. It took a while to get them not to interfere with anything. Now my bike sound like my old 1150. Really loud

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Bernie said:

That's great news. Installing real horns on motorcycles has gotten old for me. That and it comes with spots and heated gear ports. That's three fewer 'mandatory' modifications (and less $$$) I need to make to a new bike.

• Like 1
On 11/20/2023 at 11:51 AM, JamesW said:

Why not just drop by the local NAPA store and pick up a dual set of FIAMMs and call it good and it will be.  No need to reinvent the old wheel.

No need for any upgrade on new bikes as noted as they already come with better horns and on older models the simplicity of the 5-series car horn is hard to beat since totally plug and play with no relay needed. 

44 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

No need for any upgrade on new bikes as noted as they already come with better horns and on older models the simplicity of the 5-series car horn is hard to beat since totally plug and play with no relay needed. 

FIAMMs are also plug and play no relay needed with nice dual horn tone and plenty loud as loud as anyone could want and did I say easy to find as well?  I wouldn't know about new bikes.  Also, installed FIAMMs on the venerable FJR.  Come to think of it installed even on our 15 year old Ford Escape.  Mustang GT/CS came with great horns as one would expect.  The 2011 Stang has really grown on me, I just love it.  Have owned both vehicles since new with never an issue.  How'd I get so far off subject anyway?  Duhhhhh....  probably since I hit the big eight zero in about a week.

49 minutes ago, JamesW said:

FIAMMs are also plug and play no relay needed with nice dual horn tone and plenty loud as loud as anyone could want and did I say easy to find as well?  I wouldn't know about new bikes.  Also, installed FIAMMs on the venerable FJR.  Come to think of it installed even on our 15 year old Ford Escape.  Mustang GT/CS came with great horns as one would expect.  The 2011 Stang has really grown on me, I just love it.  Have owned both vehicles since new with never an issue.  How'd I get so far off subject anyway?  Duhhhhh....  probably since I hit the big eight zero in about a week.

The 5-series horns are truly plug and play … connectors are BMW so you unplug the OEM and plug in the 5-series horn.  Same one bolt to install the horn right where the OEM horn was located.  Easy peezy!   And order on Amazon or your local BMW motorcycle or car dealer.

FIAMMs are very good horns but a bit more work to install.  I’ve used them on some Japanese bikes but on my  WC RT the 5-series are just hard to pass up.  For loudest I’d opt for a Denali sound bomb, but more work to install. 

Not all new bike have better horns.  First time I hit the horn on my 2023 RS, my wife laughed.  Roadrunner's beep was louder, even when we turned down the TV Saturday morning so the parents could sleep in.  

Problem solved with a Denali SoundBomb (split version - separate compressor and horn body).