IGNORED

Substitute for BMW "Special Tool" pliers

pwillikers

pwillikers

I've embarked on replacing my failing throttle body cable pulleys.   I've encountered the circular clamps holding the throttle body boots in place (I've never seen clamps like these before).   I believe I'll need the BMW special tool pliers required to release and secure the clamps.   Can anyone guide me to a commonly available, less expensive, substitute for these OEM BMW pliers (13 1 512)?  My inclination is to cut the clamps off and replace them with hose clamps or, god forbid, zip ties. :-)

Thank you.

Capture.thumb.JPG.0ffe167931f421690a4d11a105a7ba97.JPG   

Can't help you with the pliers, but I encountered those same type clamps the first time I removed the gearbox from my old '07 GSA. Instead of buying a special tool, I just replaced them with worm-type hose clamps like BMW used to use on Oilheads and Airheads. Made things much easier, and I'll do the same if/when I need to remove those clamps on my Camhead RT.

The stainless clamps are industry standard clamps for CV boots on many, many applications.

You are much better off keeping the correct clamping system as designed by BMW and buying the appropriate tool to remove and reinstall them.

This set of pliers works well and is very inexpensive. About $17

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SREB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i-rcJskTv-S.png

• Like 1
15 hours ago, pwillikers said:

I've embarked on replacing my failing throttle body cable pulleys.   I've encountered the circular clamps holding the throttle body boots in place (I've never seen clamps like these before).   I believe I'll need the BMW special tool pliers required to release and secure the clamps.   Can anyone guide me to a commonly available, less expensive, substitute for these OEM BMW pliers (13 1 512)?  My inclination is to cut the clamps off and replace them with hose clamps or, god forbid, zip ties. :-)

Thank you.

Morning   pwillikers

Low profile (earless)  CV boot pliers seem to work the best, the low profile (earless) CV clamps lay flatter than regular CV clamps.

Usually not that expensive at most auto parts stores, on Amazon, or even places like Harbor Freight.

Do not just cut them off then use cheap worm type hose clamps as the regular worm gear type hose clamps will eventually dig into the rubber boots & loosen up so you need to tighten them a few times & that digs the clamp slots into the rubber boot & ruins it.  

Some auto parts stores even have a rental, or (loan with deposit) for things like simple tools,  (like earless CV clamp pliers) so you might ask your local auto parts store about something like that. 

You c-a-n use small pliers to pinch the clamp together so the engagement tit releases enough but that usually doesn't allow the clamp to open on it's own as the tit is released but the opposite clamp leg is not up high enough to allow the clamp to open so it usually takes a small screwdriver or knife point to separate the clamp legs so the clamp can open & clear the locking tit. This is not easy to do in the confined area while on the motorcycle as well as it is very easy to actually damage the clamp then requiring a new clamp.

You can also modify a set of needle-nose pliers to sort of make your own earless clamp pliers but that ruins the pliers for most other uses, and you sort of need to know exactly what is required to unlock that clamp to make pliers into a proper clamp removal tool. 

If you want to modify a needle nose pliers then this link has a somewhat close-up of my personal earless low profile pliers (they look the same, or very similar, as what Boxflyer posted above but with a better view of the hooked ends that engage the clamp pockets. With the proper shaped hooks that not only keeps the tool engaged in the clamp pockets but also allows the tool to be tilted while engaged in the pockets to allow lifting the top clamp leg off the lower leg's retention tit.   

Click on arrow at top R/H side of below to expand the link to read it. 

• 4 weeks later...