IGNORED

To RainX or Not to RainX

Steveyacht

Steveyacht

I used to put Rain X on my motorcycle windshields and helmet visors.  What are your opinions on this product?

Thanks!

I use Rain-X for glass on all my cars, because I hate wipers flopping back and forth.  I used to use Pledge on faceshields and bike windshields, but these days I just avoid riding in the rain.

Rain-X uses a special formulation for plastic. Seems to work, according to Amazon reviews, but maybe not as effectively as the original version on glass.

3 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

I used to put Rain X on my motorcycle windshields and helmet visors.  What are your opinions on this product?

Thanks!

Afternoon Steveyacht

Personally I wouldn't use regular Rain X on a coated plastic windshield. 

Is this for a rain thing or to make bug removal easier?  Pledge can help with bug removal but I haven't seen it do much in the rain (especially dirty road water spray) 

For the visor  (I typically don't use a visor for road riding) but I have found that tipping your head way back (with windshield low enough to allow air flow) will allow the wind to blow most of the water droplets off of the visor.

• Like 1
Steveyacht
3 hours ago, lkraus said:

I use Rain-X for glass on all my cars, because I hate wipers flopping back and forth.  I used to use Pledge on faceshields and bike windshields, but these days I just avoid riding in the rain.

Rain-X uses a special formulation for plastic. Seems to work, according to Amazon reviews, but maybe not as effectively as the original version on glass.

Thanks, I didn't know that there was a plastic formula.

realshelby

There IS a plastic Rain-X formula. I have never used it. 

I will say that I too would NOT use regular Rain-X on a coated windshield. Meaning the stock polycarbonate screen or the Ztechnique/Vstream brands. It could get under the anti-scratch coating where there are small nicks and dings and cause an issue. 

I have used regular Rain-X on my screen several times over the years. But cast acrylic is a lot more chemical resistant than polycarbonate. 

I think Rain-X beads off water better than any other thing I have tried. But like all the other stuff....it only lasts so long.