IGNORED

Throttle assist mechanisms

Scoobisteve

Scoobisteve

I just bought a 2005 r1200gs, and I love it, planning to take some long trips in the future, but my throttle hand gets numb pretty badly and I was wondering if any of ya'll can suggest a good throttle locking device to give my hand a rest.

I bought one off amazon, but I can't seem to get it to work right, and feeling a little ripped off. (see pic)

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 10.38.04 PM.png

You could try the old Caterpillar yellow O-ring.  Roll it on the throttle handle to the joint between the bar-end weight and the twist grip to gently hold the throttle.  Roll it back on the bar end weight to "disengage" it.

image.thumb.png.9334fb98ad8a79742205b29f9c8972d4.png

Or, one of these at Cycle Gear - they all work well:

image.thumb.png.54f8f8b4c30bbbffd50652a40832df1b.png

I just bought a 2005 r1200gs, and I love it, planning to take some long trips in the future, but my throttle hand gets numb pretty badly and I was wondering if any of ya'll can suggest a good throttle locking device to give my hand a rest.

I bought one off amazon, but I can't seem to get it to work right, and feeling a little ripped off. (see pic)

Morning Scoobisteve

The throttle lock is kind of a pain to use in traffic or use a lot, but you really should have some sort of device. 

The "O" ring is good for holding the throttle while you zip up your coat or adjust your helmet but not the best for riding on anything but long smooth, level, roads. 

My suggestion is more to address your  "throttle hand gets numb pretty badly" issue. 

The cramp buster Lowndes shows above is a good place to start but those cramp busters with long tails bring on their own problems (mainly bumping them therefore changing their position on the grip & catching your jacket sleeve on that long tail when reaching for the twist grip). So I usually trim the tail back  to  be about where the Cramp Buster  recess starts. Then round off & smooth out using a fingernail Emery board (I use a commercial sanding stick). This will help your hand cramping IF adjusted correctly.

I also recommend using a partial Grip Puppy on the inner part of the twist grip as that takes the cramping out of holding on to the grip but still allows full grip heat if you have grip heaters. 

If your GS doesn't have heated grips then there a few aftermarket (thumb lever) throttle locks  that work very/very good & set with just a little trip with your thumb. BUT they don't work good with heated grips & take fair amount of small-change fabrication & re-work adaptation as they are not made for the GS. You kind of need to be mechanically clever to make them fit & work correctly.

Then there are the bar-end throttle locks, they work, are not cheap, & take a learning curve to get to work how you need them to (personally I don't really like the bar end units as there are better units IF you have the expertise to  adapt them to work)

Try the partial Grip Puppy & the shortened Cramp buster as those alone might be enough to stop you numb hands.  

An8Cywf.jpg

• Like 1

Another option is the Atlas.  There are several similar types out there. 

image.thumb.png.5724bd39409de6738084eee7825a68eb.png

I have several of these on different bikes.  They work well but getting them installed and adjusted correctly is fiddly.

The "Cramp Buster" wrist rest is good to help lessen the strain and fatigue of just holding the throttle open for long periods while still actively using the throttle.  I like the narrow type shown above so that I can get my hand around the throttle when I need to slow down (coming into a town after a ride).

The Atlas type throttle lock will hold the throttle at a setting while to do something with your right hand or just to give your hand, wrist, shoulder a rest.  I usually have both types on the bike.

This is what I used on my 1150RT.  they worked great and werent in the way.  They don't make them anymore, but you can usually find them on Ebay.  They also added a little weight on the end of the bars that helped cut down vibration.  P.S. Thats not me or my bike in the video

• Plus 1 1
Dave_in_TX

Similar to the cramp buster DR mentioned us the throttle rocker. They are shorter and use a velcro strap to hold inflate. If tightened properly, you don't have to worry about it changing position.

szurszewski

I really like my Atlas throttle lock - as posted above. If you're on ADV the Atlas people have a vendor thread there and will PM you a discount code if you ask. 

18 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I really like my Atlas throttle lock - as posted above. If you're on ADV the Atlas people have a vendor thread there and will PM you a discount code if you ask. 

Afternoon szurszewski

How the heck do you guys get those Atlas throttle locks to work on the BMW hexhead 1200RT or 1200GS with heated grips?  Personally I prefer the Vista throttle lock (same idea as the Atlas but a single flip lever) but even that won't properly fit a 1200 RT/GS with heated grips as the gap isn't large enough & you can't move the grip on the tube without either ruining the grip heater, or meticulously cutting the grip off (again hopefully without damaging the grip heater) then installing a new grip rubber. 

szurszewski
50 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon szurszewski

How the heck do you guys get those Atlas throttle locks to work on the BMW hexhead 1200RT or 1200GS with heated grips?  Personally I prefer the Vista throttle lock (same idea as the Atlas but a single flip lever) but even that won't properly fit a 1200 RT/GS with heated grips as the gap isn't large enough & you can't move the grip on the tube without either ruining the grip heater, or meticulously cutting the grip off (again hopefully without damaging the grip heater) then installing a new grip rubber. 

Have to admit I do not have one on a hex head - but I do have one on my camhead gs with heated grips and have used them on 1100s as well (though I do recall it being very fiddly to setup on an R1100S w/heated grips). 

I didn’t have to make any mods on the gs. Is the grip/control setup appreciably different between the hex and cam head 1200s? 

I can take and post some pics when I get home later this week. 

6 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Have to admit I do not have one on a hex head - but I do have one on my camhead gs with heated grips and have used them on 1100s as well (though I do recall it being very fiddly to setup on an R1100S w/heated grips). 

I didn’t have to make any mods on the gs. Is the grip/control setup appreciably different between the hex and cam head 1200s? 

I can take and post some pics when I get home later this week. 

Afternoon szurszewski

They are slightly different but not greatly in the grip to housing, did you have enough gap on your camhead  or did you have to grind the backside of the grip rubber? 

szurszewski
4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon szurszewski

They are slightly different but not greatly in the grip to housing, did you have enough gap on your camhead  or did you have to grind the backside of the grip rubber? 

No mods on the camhead (no mods on the 1100s either - but I do remember almost giving up on that one) - I’ll post some pics on Friday. 

• 2 weeks later...
Scoobisteve

Unless BMW makes some ends similar to these, I may already have a mechanism on the bike...watched a throttlemeister video, but I think if they are throttlemeister ends, then the bolt holding the brush guard in place defeats it's usability...There are 2 washers and 3 shims(washers) underneath...I've taken 1 washer out, which stiffens up the throttle a bit, but can't loosen it back up without taking it back apart and replacing the washer. Looking for pics of 2005 GS's to see what ends came on them.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 11.55.21 PM.png

6 hours ago, Scoobisteve said:

Unless BMW makes some ends similar to these, I may already have a mechanism on the bike...watched a throttlemeister video, but I think if they are throttlemeister ends, then the bolt holding the brush guard in place defeats it's usability...There are 2 washers and 3 shims(washers) underneath...I've taken 1 washer out, which stiffens up the throttle a bit, but can't loosen it back up without taking it back apart and replacing the washer. Looking for pics of 2005 GS's to see what ends came on them.

Morning Scoobisteve

Your picture shows a Throttlemeister end weight, I can't tell from your picture if it is a throttle lock weight (screws in & out)  or just their standard weight (non adjustable). The L/H side used a standard weight (didn't move in & out when turned).

Some riders used the Throttlemeister (non adjustable) bar end weights (longer weight) for added bar end weight, or the shorter ones to allow proper fit of hand guards.

Does your R/H weight  (that you have pictured) allow the outer housing to screw in & out on the inner bushing? This will tell us if it can be used for a throttle lock or if it JUST a weight.

Picture below is a stock 1200GS bar end weight.

tfov96x.jpg

Scoobisteve

I think mine is probably just a weight, but if it is I'd like to find one that isn't...that set-up is kinda cool, not taking up any of the grip-space, although engaging it real-time on the move may take some training...Mine just slides on and is held in place by a bolt with a washer. Guess it's just a weight. Took a short ride to see how well the throttle stays in place, over a bumpy gravel road it didn't move. Just have to remember to decelerate and not just let go. Until I decide to actually purchase one, anyway. Thanks for the pics and advice!

The things that make life worth living derive much of their meaning from being shared with others.

8 minutes ago, Scoobisteve said:

Until I decide to actually purchase one, anyway.

Unfortunately the small company that made them is no longer in business.  Your best bet is to periodically check Ebay

1 hour ago, Scoobisteve said:

I think mine is probably just a weight, but if it is I'd like to find one that isn't...that set-up is kinda cool, not taking up any of the grip-space, although engaging it real-time on the move may take some training...Mine just slides on and is held in place by a bolt with a washer. Guess it's just a weight. Took a short ride to see how well the throttle stays in place, over a bumpy gravel road it didn't move. Just have to remember to decelerate and not just let go. Until I decide to actually purchase one, anyway. Thanks for the pics and advice!

The things that make life worth living derive much of their meaning from being shared with others.

Afternoon Scoobisteve

There are a few companies that still make clones of the Throttlemeister, just not shinny stainless steel like the Throttlemeister was. (usually black or black with a ring that turns) 

Heated grips can make them tricky to adjust to work correctly as the heat in the grip heats up, then expands the plastic grip tube.

If you like your shinny stainless bar ends then just space it out with a washer(s) so it doesn't drag when using the twist grip then buy a yellow Caterpillar "O" on E-Bay, then just roll that into & out of the gap between the grip end & the weight when you need to hold the throttle at  certain setting. 

• 1 month later...

I put one of these on earlier this year.

https://kaoko.com/

Available at a great bike parts vendor that I use -  http://pirateslair.net/

It's not perfect, as it's only a tensioner not cruise control, but better than nothing and so far so good.

One problem I have, which would be with any tension type, is my throttle is pretty much micro adjust. The finest little adjustment, just a breath on the throttle, can change my speed 10 - 15 mph, so it's really hard to set an accurate speed and hold it.

I use the Excel Throttle control on my 2008 R12R. After the install it still takes some fiddling but really helped on my last trip of around 1200 miles.