IGNORED

Which BMW Motorcycle to Purchase - 2006 1200GS or 2003 K1200GT

Geometrix

Dear Forum,

I am currently in the market for a BMW motorcycle. I have driven scooters for many years, and I am ready for the big leagues. My last scooter was a Piaggio X9 Evolution with a 500cc engine. Excellent "bike". I sold it because I was quite low to the ground (good for center of gravity) and I thought that this affected my road visibility for other drivers and thus my safety. So after a couple of years, I sold the Piaggio.

So in regards to used BMW motorcycles, I have narrowed down the field to 2 very different models, either of which will likely meet my motorcycling needs. I consider myself a novice, and I just don't know which one fits my needs better. I would appreciated any advice.

I am looking at the following used bikes both at about the same price point:

• 2003 BMW K1200GT with 19,000 miles
  • 2006 BMW 1200GS with 40,000 miles

Both bikes have been well maintained and are in excellent condition. The K1200GT is absolutely pristine!

As of today, I have only test driven the 1200GS. The 1200GS seems a bit rough with the boxer engine, but the overall bike height and size worked well for me. I think that I might need to raise the seat the the "taller" setting. And I will acclimate to the vibration, noise, etc....not really worried about that.

The owner of the K1200GT will finally allow me to take it for a spin tomorrow after 3 weeks of talking about it. He is an older gentleman and is a bit scared to allow a novice to ride his pristine bike. I get it and I do not blame him. I expect that this bike will drive as well as it looks.

Both bikes have side and rear cases. Both have upgraded exhaust (Remus on the GS and Two Brothers on the GT). The GT has the Rhine chip upgrade, and upgraded handlebars.

I am 5'11" and about 220lbs. I want the bike mostly for leisure riding here in South Florida. I might take it to work occassionally...maybe down to Key West or across the state to Naples...or even visit my son in Orlando. I might also take it on short rides to the grocery store, etc. I am NOT a speed demon. I am 56 and pretty conservative.

Opinions???? I look forward to the feedback.

TIA,

--Neal

14 hours ago, Geometrix said:

Dear Forum,

I am currently in the market for a BMW motorcycle. I have driven scooters for many years, and I am ready for the big leagues. My last scooter was a Piaggio X9 Evolution with a 500cc engine. Excellent "bike". I sold it because I was quite low to the ground (good for center of gravity) and I thought that this affected my road visibility for other drivers and thus my safety. So after a couple of years, I sold the Piaggio.

So in regards to used BMW motorcycles, I have narrowed down the field to 2 very different models, either of which will likely meet my motorcycling needs. I consider myself a novice, and I just don't know which one fits my needs better. I would appreciated any advice.

I am looking at the following used bikes both at about the same price point:

• 2003 BMW K1200GT with 19,000 miles
  • 2006 BMW 1200GS with 40,000 miles

Both bikes have been well maintained and are in excellent condition. The K1200GT is absolutely pristine!

As of today, I have only test driven the 1200GS. The 1200GS seems a bit rough with the boxer engine, but the overall bike height and size worked well for me. I think that I might need to raise the seat the the "taller" setting. And I will acclimate to the vibration, noise, etc....not really worried about that.

The owner of the K1200GT will finally allow me to take it for a spin tomorrow after 3 weeks of talking about it. He is an older gentleman and is a bit scared to allow a novice to ride his pristine bike. I get it and I do not blame him. I expect that this bike will drive as well as it looks.

Both bikes have side and rear cases. Both have upgraded exhaust (Remus on the GS and Two Brothers on the GT). The GT has the Rhine chip upgrade, and upgraded handlebars.

I am 5'11" and about 220lbs. I want the bike mostly for leisure riding here in South Florida. I might take it to work occassionally...maybe down to Key West or across the state to Naples...or even visit my son in Orlando. I might also take it on short rides to the grocery store, etc. I am NOT a speed demon. I am 56 and pretty conservative.

Opinions???? I look forward to the feedback.

TIA,

--Neal

Morning Neal

That is a difficult decision, neither would be on my personal list of desired used motorcycles but either can be a good riding motorcycle. 

The 2003 K1200GT had it's share of issues but once sorted they were a decent riding motorcycle. Way more difficult to work on at home & will be very expensive to have a shop work on it. The only way I would (personally) consider a 2003 K1200GT is if it is in great condition, has a good service background, & is bought from a very trustworthy owner.  

The 2006 1200GS is much easier to do your own work on at home, having a shop work on is still expensive but less than on the 1200K bikes. The 2006 1200GS is a worthy motorcycle that didn't have a lot of issues but it is earlier in the 1200GS production run than I personally like as it still has the early I-ABS (servo) braking system. (I usually recommend 2008-2009 as the best of the 1200 (hexhead) RT/GS series.

You probably won't be able to ride either motorcycle far enough or long enough to do much other than to see if it fits you & you feel comfortable riding either one. 

Hopefully you will get a lot more feedback here from riders that are  still riding either of the motorcycles that you are considering. 

• Like 1

R1200.... Later model Hexhead or ideally a Camhead (2010-2013)...used market is getting better every day.

my .02.  :lurk:

On 7/2/2023 at 2:42 PM, Geometrix said:

I have driven scooters for many years, and I am ready for the big leagues.

I'll be the smartazz and say...buy the one that is meant to be dropped once in a while...GS.:4323:

Either way, welcome to the club.

On 7/3/2023 at 5:26 PM, syntorz said:

I'll be the smartazz and say...buy the one that is meant to be dropped once in a while...GS.:4323:

Either way, welcome to the club.

👍

I agree.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe the GT has any engine guards available for it. Being new to being on a motorcycle, I (if I had your height) would buy the GS. If it did not come with engine guards I would immediately buy and install a set before riding it. There very well may be a steep learning curve coming from a scooter to a much larger cc motorcycle, (which might involve a few drops).