IGNORED

Anyone in Ft Worth TX wana help me check my drive splines?

VanLinge

Riding my RSL to the Moto GP at Laguna Seca in July and don't want my splines to fail. Bike has 70k miles and has been serviced by previous owners at dealerships. Should I sweat it or tear into it?

Mitch dopeslap.gif

If it shifts properly, I'd leave it alone. Don't buy into everything you read on the i-net.

I had a buddy just rip into his last weekend as the clutch lever was tight. Ailment? clutch actuator arm needed a grease...10 minutes instead of the HOURS to seperate. Good news is that splines were perfect.

Just ride it. It'll be fine.

Mitch,

If there are no symptoms, I'd be inclined to leave it alone. If you do decide to do it, let me know and I'll be glad to help. I'm on the east side of Dallas.

Mike

Riding my RSL to the Moto GP at Laguna Seca in July and don't want my splines to fail. Bike has 70k miles and has been serviced by previous owners at dealerships. Should I sweat it or tear into it?

Mitch dopeslap.gif

Remember the following;

1- Clean splines well of old grease.

2- Inspect for wear with a careful eye and some magnification.

3- Grease them with Honda Molypaste 60 and nothing else.

4- Reassemble being careful to phase the trunnions on the front and rear U-joints.

5- Carefully adjust preload on the Paralever rear pivots after thoroughly greasing these roller bearings.

6- While your back there, change FD and transmission oil. Use name-brand 75W-140 EP GL-5 synthetic gear oil available at most auto parts stores. Add some moly for lower heat, quieter running and smoother shifts.

Yeeha! Stephen

I wouldn't worry about it till it starts acting up. Especially now... with the 100+ days we're having.

Working on a bike in this heat will make you lose concentration and you'll be more apt to screw something up. Should've done it last Winter or wait for the first cool snap this coming Fall.

My scoot has way over 70k on it and I'm gonna trust it till it starts making noises... or what ever.

I would say I can help, but that would be the blind leading the blind blush.gif

I can help supervise! thumbsup.gif

But you gotta wait till next winter... It's too Hot for me!

Remember the following;

1- Clean splines well of old grease.

2- Inspect for wear with a careful eye and some magnification.

3- Grease them with Honda Molypaste 60 and nothing else.

4- Reassemble being careful to phase the trunnions on the front and rear U-joints.

5- Carefully adjust preload on the Paralever rear pivots after thoroughly greasing these roller bearings.

6- While your back there, change FD and transmission oil. Use name-brand 75W-140 EP GL-5 synthetic gear oil available at most auto parts stores. Add some moly for lower heat, quieter running and smoother shifts.

When you say "add some moly," what do you mean by that? Is that some kind of additive? I'm not familiar w/this, but would like to try some with my next change. I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Yeeha! Stephen

Moly, short for Molybdenum.

In this case it's used as an additive in lubricants. Lowers sulfides, inhibits rust, and stuff like that.

In this case it's used as an additive in lubricants. Lowers sulfides, inhibits rust, and stuff like that.

Moly is a grease, you add a little bit in the FD and trans.? How much? I guess it disolves in the oil as it gets warm? I may try this, but I don't want to put too much. Phil

Wow, Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to ride until I get symptoms. If ever. We will see. I have synthetic oil all the way through already. Amsoil is my choice. Thanks again for the response.

Mitch

Archived