IGNORED

A Gift: To Know How Things Work

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

I am fortunate to have three people in my life who have the uncanny ability to look at something closely and know how it works. They could fix just about everything. For example, back when money was particularly tight, my Can-Am needed a new coil. I could not afford to replace it. My neighbor took on the task. He looked up the specs of the coil output and then sat in a lawn chair with a six pack of beer and a large spool of wire. He removed the wires from the dead coil and then rewound it with several thousand loops over six beers. He had calculated how many windings were necessary to produce the necessary output. Then he  dipped it in liquid epoxy, put it back on the bike, kicked it over twice, it started and purred like a kitten. Another friend saw that my kayak had a slight breach. He cut off a piece of leather from his boot laces, laid it in the crack, and covered it with crazy glue which expanded and sealed the crack. It is holding to this day.

Do you know anyone like this? Humility aside, are you this person? Any good stories about fixing things without buying the replacement? We used to call it Jerry rigging.

• Like 1

My Lt. who just recently retired was one of those guys that could fix almost anything. I’m talking in the most MacGyver-ish kind of ways. Electronics was his specialty, usually a soldering gun and a bottle of rubbing alcohol was all he needed.

Broken snowblowers, worn out lawnmower blades, no problem, we have a grinder. Clean a carburetor on a saw and sharpen the chain, got it!

And he was a bit of a wise ass to boot, but in a fun way.

Somebody dropped off a portable welder at the station so it was learn to weld day. Let’s just say the welder did not start this fire. :classic_biggrin:

46EDBAB4-97BF-4168-B01C-9E2D7F765423.thumb.jpeg.03ebb75ca1633de011c334649cfec5f0.jpeg

The wise guy Brian.

48BE58C8-74A2-448E-B8FF-3275514D8F6D.thumb.jpeg.03c479c9b46767aa263c5217fc4f1701.jpeg

• Smile 1

Having spent my entire adult life in the" Industrial Maintenance trade " .I've been fortunate enough to meet a few folks like this . Most are quiet and relatively humble .

I tend to think of them as a gift .. 

• Like 2

Well....I sort of resemble this.  There isn't much I won't tear apart or tear into...be it electrical, mechanical, plumbing, etc.  Most of the time I'm successful at repairs.  Sometimes it's worse off than when I started.  I can say Youtube has added to my fearlessness....and of course DR.

• Like 4
MichiganBob

Being a Boomer, one thing I am continually thankful for is YouTube.. It has saved my butt so many times, not to mention my 12,000 mile maintenance. For young folks, YouTube always existed. I also appreciate not having to wait until after 6 pm on Sunday to call my family in different states.

• Like 6