IGNORED

Wiring new accessories R1100RT

Brodiepunker18

Brodiepunker18

I have a 1999 R1100RT and am wiring in the last 2 things I want on the bike…

gps mount and heated grips.

Obviously black goes to ground. but the power wire for both needs to go to key on power only.

Where is the best place to tap this into the bike? 

thanks,

eric

15 minutes ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I have a 1999 R1100RT and am wiring in the last 2 things I want on the bike…

gps mount and heated grips.

Obviously black goes to ground. but the power wire for both needs to go to key on power only.

Where is the best place to tap this into the bike? 

thanks,

eric

Morning  Brodiepunker18

The ignition switch is not that robust on older BMW boxer bikes so you probably want to use a power relay (fused battery direct) to power the heated grips then use an ignition switch circuit to trigger the relay. 

Have you looked to see if any part of the factory heated grip wiring is there (most came with a sub harness for dealer installed heated grips) 

On the GPS that is fairy low power so about any (fused) key-on circuit can power that. Personally I wire my GPS devices to fused  battery direct as I don't like my GPS to go off at gas stops or lunch breaks. I just turn it off at end of ride or remove it if I want to take it with me to view the tracks off-motorcycle. 

Brodiepunker18

I have not looked for factory wiring yet. I got the bike torn apart…where should I look for that? 

The heated grips do have a fused power wire…not sure offhand of a relay. I got Koso Apollo heated grips.

And that’s not a bad idea for the gps. I can run that direct. I wouldn’t be leaving it on the bike except when riding it so I wouldn’t have to worry about it draining the battery.

Thank you

3 minutes ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I have not looked for factory wiring yet. I got the bike torn apart…where should I look for that? 

The heated grips do have a fused power wire…not sure offhand of a relay. I got Koso Apollo heated grips.

And that’s not a bad idea for the gps. I can run that direct. I wouldn’t be leaving it on the bike except when riding it so I wouldn’t have to worry about it draining the battery.

Thank you

Morning  Brodiepunker18

I really don't know where you will find that heated grip wire pigtail. It will probably be a green/blue wire coming out of fuse #7 (possibly be in a 3 wire connector wit orange & black wire) 

If your grips have a fused power wire then possibly all you will need is a 12 ign-on fused circuit to the control switch. Is the relay fused battery direct or from another source? 

Brodiepunker18

I’m not sure the heated grips have a relay. Doesn’t say anything about it in the instructions. Just says to wire to 12v accessory power over 5A.

It does have a fuse though. 

40 minutes ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I’m not sure the heated grips have a relay. Doesn’t say anything about it in the instructions. Just says to wire to 12v accessory power over 5A.

It does have a fuse though. 

Morning Brodiepunker18

In that case you might try to wire it into the output side of the #7 fuse as that is what the factory heated grips are fused through.

Brodiepunker18

So I’m not getting power to the grips on the green/blue wire…what other wires can I use that has power only when key on? 

I did connect direct to battery to confirm I get power and they work.

thank you

12 hours ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

So I’m not getting power to the grips on the green/blue wire…what other wires can I use that has power only when key on? 

thank you

Morning Brodiepunker18

Is fuse #7 OK & not blown?

With no relay & heated grips typically needing a fair amount of power (typically 4-6 amps)  you probably shouldn't just tap into any (key-on) 12v circuit. 

Your local auto parts store should have a few fuse power tap devices. The cheap way is a simple bent brass terminal that goes under the fuse output side leg.

A little more uplevel is a device that plugs in to where the fuse now plugs in then the fuse is moved to that adapter, then you add another fuse & connect your load to the pigtail wire. 

fuse power tap2.jpg

fuse power tap3.jpg

• Plus 1 1
13 hours ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

thank you

Look at the underneath of the headlight for the grey/black wire. That goes to the parking light. It is a switched circuit and it also turns off when you start the bike. I use this circuit to trigger the relay for my accessory lights. I would NOT use this to directly power a higher current accessory. It’s pretty easy to wire in a relay.

Brodiepunker18
3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Brodiepunker18

Is fuse #7 OK & not blown?

With no relay & heated grips typically needing a fair amount of power (typically 4-6 amps)  you probably shouldn't just tap into any (key-on) 12v circuit. 

Your local auto parts store should have a few fuse power tap devices. The cheap way is a simple bent brass terminal that goes under the fuse output side leg.

A little more uplevel is a device that plugs in to where the fuse now plugs in then the fuse is moved to that adapter, then you add another fuse & connect your load to the pigtail wire. 

fuse power tap2.jpg

fuse power tap3.jpg

fuse 7 has a random 10 amp fuse in it. I don’t have anything going to it so I just left it alone. I pulled the fuse and everything still works so I’m unsure why there is a 10 in it…especially since I didn’t have heated grips prior.

15 minutes ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

fuse 7 has a random 10 amp fuse in it. I don’t have anything going to it so I just left it alone. I pulled the fuse and everything still works so I’m unsure why there is a 10 in it…especially since I didn’t have heated grips prior.

Morning Brodiepunker18

Fuse #7 is pretty much just for heated grips. Who knows on the fuse in the #7 socket, could just be a spare stuck there to have it handy or someone used that circuit for something in the past. Probably should be a 4 amp fuse unless your aftermarket grip heaters draw more than that. 

34 minutes ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

The aftermarket ones have a 4amp fuse built in to the wiring.

Afternoon Brodiepunker18

If you go through the #7 fuse then you can either remove that 4 amp (harness fuse) completely, OR remove that 4 amp fuse then stick that in the #7 slot in your fuse box then, put the removed 10 amp fuse in heated grip harness fuse socket. (this way the factory #7 fuse will blow before the harness 10 amp fuse will if there is a problem. 

Brodiepunker18

I’ll have to chase down a wiring diagram and find the correct wires. And figure out why that 10 is in that spot…it definitely should be the 4. And everything else that is wired accessory is relayed elsewhere or wired direct.

thanks DR.

21 minutes ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I’ll have to chase down a wiring diagram and find the correct wires. And figure out why that 10 is in that spot…it definitely should be the 4. And everything else that is wired accessory is relayed elsewhere or wired direct.

thanks DR.

Afternoon Brodiepunker18

I sent you a diagram by PM so check your personal messages.

It won't help you much as all it really shows is green/blue wire ending (somewhere?) That blue/green wire is part of the factory heated grip prep  (if your motorcycle even had that). Most had it but I can't say for sure if all 1100RT's did. 

Brodiepunker18

I’m not sure if it does. I may have to tear out the dash this winter and look because I didn’t see the green/blue wire at all.

32 minutes ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

I’m not sure if it does. I may have to tear out the dash this winter and look because I didn’t see the green/blue wire at all.

Afternoon Brodiepunker18

Does fuse #7 have a terminal in both side of the fuse socket? If it does then there must be a wire hooked to that & going somewhere up front (possibly ending under the fuel tank).

Brodiepunker18

Yes there are two sides to the fuse 7 slot. I’m guessing the 10amp is just a for an extra because I have nothing that I know of, wired in there.

Brodie, my 2001 R1100RT didn't come with heated grips. I purchased OEM grips and the switch on eBay and tracked down the wiring for the grip heat.Fortunately the OEM wiring was on the bike even tho it was unused. The entire process wasn't obvious. I documented it in this thread. Miguel

• Thanks 1