IGNORED

Alternator Belt

freetime2247

freetime2247

Anyone still running the same alternator belt after 50K miles?  55K miles on this one and still looks good today.

IMG_4080.JPG

1 hour ago, freetime2247 said:

Anyone still running the same alternator belt after 50K miles?  55K miles on this one and still looks good today.

Afternoon  freetime2247

I have seen a few go over 50K on the hexhead/camhead motorcycles.

I removed one from hexhead earlier this year that had just under 50K on it, the belt looked good while on the pully's but the inside ribs were pretty glazed looking once removed & out in a bright light. Once removed & flipped inside out there were a number of small cracks in the ribs (not a lot but they were starting to show up)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of belt issues on the hexhead/camhead motorcycles but I would probably put the alternator belt in the same replacement window as tires, like tires they can go well over 5 years but at the 5 year point it might be time start thinking about replacement. 

My 02 1150 RT belt  looked like the one above when I changed it at 50k in 2018. Garage kept, fair weather bike, that rarely saw rain. I gave the old one to the new owner when it sold a month ago.

I follow the manufacturer maintenance schedule. I replace it every 24,000 miles. The belts always look good when removed. They always look good right up to the point of failure. 

• Plus 1 1
freetime2247

As soon as the heat subsides a bit I'm going to replace this one. I'll post a few pics when its removed.