IGNORED

Adaptive cruise control problem.

kruuuzn

I purchased a new 2023 R1250RT at the nearest dealer which is 150 miles away. On the ride home after picking up the bike the cruise control erred out after riding roughly 100 miles. I've attached a picture of the screen.

I thought maybe there were bugs on the radar sensor or something simple like that so I stopped and cleaned the sensor but that didn't help. The error went away when I cycled the ignition but came back when I tried to use the cruise control.

I emailed the dealer and the service manager told me he's never seen that issue before but, if it was okay with me, they would look at in when I came down for my 600 mile service. At that time I just stopped trying to use the cruise control and made a couple of short trips to get enough miles on the bike to have the service done. 

I rode to the dealer this morning for my service and I reminded them about the issue. When they were finished they told me it "appears" the ACC needs to calibrate itself further because all they saw on the bottom of the screen in white letters was CANNOT ENGAGE CRUISE CONTROL. CALIBRATING. (This isn't verbatim. But something like this). The techs never saw the original big yellow error that I took a picture of. He showed the new error to me and sure enough, when you tried to engage the ACC the white wording came up at the bottom of the screen. He then showed me how to turn off the adaptive function in the cruise control on the settings page so it wouldn't error out and I could still use cruise control. He suggested I ride it for while and see if it "finishes calibrating".

On the ride home I played with the cruise control functions. If I tried to use ACC the screen showed the CANNOT ENGAGE CRUISE CONTROL. CALIBRATING. If I turned the ACC function off I could use the standard cruise control with no problems. That is UNTIL I RODE ABOUT 100 MILES. Then out of the blue the big yellow screen of death appeared again just like my picture. I stopped several times on the way home and cycled the ignition to clear the error. When I started the bike it was okay until the bike started to roll and the yellow screen came back. And even stranger is it didn't matter if I had the main cruise control switch on ON or OFF, it still erred out. When I got the yellow screen I could eliminate it by pushing the wonder wheel to the left but that still left the "triangular yellow general warning light" lit. I'm able to use standard cruise control but the warning light stays on until I cycle the ignition again but the whole things starts over once the bike moves.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

IMG_1146.jpg

I have a car that has adaptive. The sensor/radar is in the mirror. I’ve had two broken windshields that required removal of the unit. After it was reconnected it wouldn’t work for about 15 minutes each time, but did work thereafter

I don’t know the unit on your bike , but 100 miles to calibrate doesn’t sound right. I suspect your radar unit is not hooked up right, pointed right, or just broken. Go to the dealer and ride a demo. 

Good luck. 

3 hours ago, kruuuzn said:

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Yes, on my '21, but not quite like your circumstances. Usually I get that if the radar doesn't see anything in the front of the bike for a while. Don't get it all the time though. I cannot actually reproduce the condition set but I wasn't trying hard enough.

My system normally recovers from that error to a fully functioning cruise after a lunch break length of "power off". 

You can go immediately to traditional cruise without even stopping, getting into the menu system or reducing speed by just long pressing the distance button for the cruise. 

• 4 weeks later...

Fixed.

Just in case this happens to anyone else I thought I’d post an update.

I went back to the dealer and this time BMW provided them with updated instructions on how to calibrate the ACC which included a 12 mile ride by the tech. Now all is good and the ACC works great. After getting used to this feature on my cars I’m happy to have it on the bike. 

• Smile 1
7 hours ago, kruuuzn said:

Now all is good and the ACC works great

Um, yeah, for now. I had maybe 6 instances over the 2 years I own the adaptive cruise equipped bike that it dropped the ball with the distance error. The point being that the next failure is waaaay down the road, never around the corner. I hope you are right and that is all that took, so I can get my dealer to do the same. At the end of the day though, because the traditional cruise remains working, I did not care too much about the fault that fixes itself over a lunch break.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 7:50 AM, kruuuzn said:

I went back to the dealer and this time BMW provided them with updated instructions on how to calibrate the ACC which included a 12 mile ride by the tech. Now all is good and the ACC works great. After getting used to this feature on my cars I’m happy to have it on the bike. 

Curious if the calibration procedure was shared with you or not.  Mine had similar errors in the first few weeks (2023 R1250RT as well) but seems to be more reliable now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 12:40 PM, Claudio said:

Curious if the calibration procedure was shared with you or not.  Mine had similar errors in the first few weeks (2023 R1250RT as well) but seems to be more reliable now.

No, I’m sorry but they didn’t fill me in on the specifics but I DO know it included a 12 mile ride by the tech. 
They actually took it out twice with different techs to be sure.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Brand new bike. First running in service completed by dealer. 3 hours trying to work out why the indicators wont auto cancel. No solution. 80kms into my trip back home (230km), go to use the cruise and I get the same warning message and no cruise.

Then the Big Yellow Screen of Techno Death appeared.

It seems I have to take it back to the dealer for them to sort out.

2 weeks away from a trip across Australia so wouldnt mind if my new expensive bike works as it should.

I have been a longtime Triumph rider and so far the BMW experience hasnt been a positive one.

60Aviator

This has been happening since 2021 when I got mine and BMW knows about it. Dealer did "The Calibration" twice but this issue still returns at some point. As Hati says it appears to be caused by extended periods of nothing in front of you to look at. I keep distance off most of the time but this will still appear even with it off. Only good news is that it will fix itself later at some point. Once again BMW doesn't care what their consumers put up with or communicate with the dealers. This my last BMW product I will own.  

10 hours ago, Moses said:

go to use the cruise and I get the same warning message and no cruise.

Did you try to use the traditional cruise? You can easily switch by holding the distance button for a few seconds. That changes between radar and traditional mode, even on the go. That's what I did every time mine showed me the finger. 

An update to the post i made above. I had my local dealer do an extended calibration and so far I had no issues. The downside is I haven't done a lot of miles since then either.

To turn on Auto cancel off the turn signals you have to set it in the programming.

Here are the instructions from your manual on page #77:

Turn signals
Turn on the ignition. (   66) Go to the Settings, Vehicle settings menu, then select the Lights menu item.
Turn Comfort turn indicator on or off.

Thanks Hati and Bernie for your suggestions. I am off to the dealer on Monday to let them fix it. I will try both of your suggestions though.

The dealer couldn't sort the indicator problem out. I cant get the auto cancel to work, not trying to turn it off.

On 3/22/2024 at 2:25 PM, Moses said:

I cant get the auto cancel to work, not trying to turn it off.

It's been a long while since I had the GS911 device plugged in, but I recall settings related this very section. If you have someone you know with one, or your local BMW club (mine carries one), you could try changing settings there.

dirtrider
On 3/22/2024 at 2:25 AM, Moses said:

The dealer couldn't sort the indicator problem out. I cant get the auto cancel to work, not trying to turn it off.

Morning  Moses

Have you tried just very quickly flicking the left or right turn signal button?    (don't press & hold it for any time) just a very quick push/release). 

If the turn signal button is pushed & held (even for a slight time) it changes how the turn signals cancel. 

Button usage shouldn't change the distance traveled until cancel but I believe it does change the time until cancel.   

Hey Dirtrider. Your indicator suggestion worked. I now have self cancelling indicators. 
Thank you.