IGNORED

1200 WetHead TechDay in New England

Boxflyer

1200 WetHead TechDay in New England

I will to be conducting a 1200 WetHead TechDay Event at my home in Middletown, RI on Saturday July 15th. (same thing on Sunday for the 1250 ShiftHead)

FREE!

There is already 1 bike penciled in for having the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks done, but I have 2 lifts...so we may have something else going on.

The event will start at 0900 with coffee and Dunkin munchies, then the Cam Timing Demonstration will be at about 1000.  Lunch provided.  If someone will help out with the grill work, I will provide hot dogs/hamburgers, drinks, chips...

Please let me know if you will attend as I'm going to limit this to 10 folks. 

This way everyone can see what's going on and actually see and feel some of the finer points of this service.

Limited parking...just in my 50ft driveway, so ride if you can.  

GS-911 Pro with computer will be available to reset Service Reminders if desired.

I will send my address via PM to those attending.

Brad Smith

i-65JX29n-S.jpg

https://youtu.be/0exJbyMnGQg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I plan on being there Brad. My RT could use a good physical exam, she’s been treated like a red headed stepchild. :spittake: I’m pretty good on the grill if no other volunteers. Question, oil & filter, I’m assuming you bring your own? Do you have storage for the old oil? 

Thanks! :clap:

Hi Pat,

Looking forward to getting my hands on your RT...it will feel like new again!  

I have all the consumables, and proper receptacles for recycling oils and filters.

Thanks again for providing the "Demo Day" bike...it's service for FREE!

Brad

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
MichiganBob

That sound great. Wish I could. Just a tad far away for me right now. Thanks for being so generous, it's a gift.

With Brad’s permission (and if his neighbors don’t have shotguns mounted to the back window of their trucks) :classic_biggrin: I was thinking about drone filming some of his work. Never know, you may end up YouTube famous, or a patient at the local ER… :dontknow: Sir…how did a drone get wedged in there? IDK, he said he knew how to fly it really good. :rofl:

It’s OK with me, but I live under the flight pattern of the local airport. 
There are special rules about flying drones and RC planes in the proximity of aircraft. 
Maybe you can fly around the garage!

• Plus 1 1

Brad did a 12000 mile service on my RT about a month ago... and the bike is smooooth! I'll try to stop by on the 15th to say hello and meet some of the wethead.  Bob Morgan.

You are always welcome Bob. 
PS. Backstory—

Bob bought my B-in-laws 2016RT that I had been maintaining since new and allowed me to do the complete 12k service when it came due after he acquired it from the local dealer. 
Like most bikes I get to work on, they are smoother and quieter after some routine maintenance and attention to detail with the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance service. 
Brad

PPS. I’ve done 136 Cam Timing Services to date. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

@Boxflyer

A subject I didn’t think about until just now, it was posted elsewhere. :yes: Brad, do you need the bike’s key fob for service work on the Wethead RT? 
I have them, just don’t use it that often.

Pat, if you bike has a keyed ignition, I just need the key to be able to turn on/off the bike when I'm doing the Adaptive Values Resets with the GS911.

Otherwise, no, the FOB is not needed for the remote control functions.

Good question...

Brad

• Thanks 1

***UPDATE***

DATE CHANGE DUE TO WEATHER

This weekend (7/15/16) Saturday and Sunday are forecast to be rainy both days.

I've moved the WetHead/ShiftHead TechDay Weekend Demo to the following weekend of July 22/23. 

Saturday 7/22 for the 1200 WetHead and 7/23 for the 1250 ShiftHead bikes.

Please contact me via PM if you are interested in attending as I am limiting this to 10 folks each day.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Brad Smith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Aussie Mark

Looks like a nice weather forecast for RI this weekend. :18:

Enjoy the TechDay.

Sorry I can't be there..  

Hi Mark,

I wish you could be here too!

You could carry out maintenance on the second bike lift while I am doing Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Service on the first bike lift. 

If nothing else, it’s a FREE lunch while some bikes are getting FREE service. 

Brad

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Looking forward to it! :18:

Hey Pat,

We'll get your bike running like it was new! 

That 1st LOOK of the Cam Timing and Valves is the most important.

See you Saturday morning for coffee and Dunkin' Munchkins.

Brad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/19/2023 at 9:35 AM, Cap said:

Arnold Palmers

I just got off that kick. Been doing seltzer water and cranberry juice, it’s pretty good. :spittake: Bike is all gassed up, my Nav is set and I’m ready to wrench. Or at least, pay close attention! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Looking FWD to it Pat,

OH, you will be doing some of the wrenching.  If you don't get to experience the drag of a feeler gauge between the follower and the cam, you may not get a valid reading for making adjustments.

There will be A LOT of information, but it won't be like drinking through a FIRE HOSE...you will get it before we move on, that's the point.

Right now, there are very few folks coming on Saturday...we lost several when I switched from last weekend to this weekend due to weather.

Too bad...this is basically a $1000 service for FREE...plus FREE coffee/doughnuts, FREE lunch,  FREE print-outs, and I'll have Boxflyer Tools for SALE.

I posted on the Yankee Beemers Forum and have not had a single inquiry or hint of interest over 3 weeks...something wrong there-- when a local club is not getting the word.

• Like 3
Aussie Mark
On 7/19/2023 at 8:39 PM, Boxflyer said:

You could carry out maintenance on the second bike lift while I am doing Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Service on the first bike lift. 

I would be honoured to do that or even cook the food on the BBQ, Aussie style..  Enjoy tomorrow. 

I’m looking forward to sharing a couple of days with like minded BMW enthusiasts.

Wish you were with us Mark!

Brad

Scrubbing Bubbles?   Classic.

Added:   I wonder if that will work on GS black rims?  (asking for a friend)

• Haha 1
Aussie Mark

Pat, appreciate you uploading pics for those of us who were unable to attend. Looks like an enjoyable day. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

It did not seem all that crowded there.   I hope Brad had some participants.

• Like 1

8 in total. I wanted to limit each day to 10 so everyone could be involved. 
Tomorrow may be a few more since I plan to do 2 complete Cam/Valve Services on a couple of 1250’s. 

Today was a good day..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So I just got home a little bit ago and I wanted to thank Brad for an awesome day! :clap: I went there with my 1200 RT and came home with a 1250 :revit: :burnout:!!! A completely transformed motorcycle! :thumbsup:

THANKS AGAN Brad! 

Oh yeah, he gave me some homework, PUT SOME MORE MILES ON THE BIKE so it wears in! :classic_blush:

• Smile 2

@wbw6cos

I think I mentioned bringing the drone for some tech day aerial footage (which I did bring it) but looking on the GEO ZONE MAP there be some heavily guarded airspace down there in RI. Fly in the red and you’re dead! :jaw: :classic_biggrin:

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

@wbw6cos

I think I mentioned bringing the drone for some tech day aerial footage (which I did bring it) but looking on the GEO ZONE MAP there be some heavily guarded airspace down there in RI. Fly in the red and you’re dead! :jaw: :classic_biggrin:

Never doubt a guy who flew boxes around for a living.   :java:

• Plus 1 1

Thanks Brad for your time and patience and for setting up this tech weekend

It was a great day of learning with plenty of food. Good to meet new people and learn about our bikes

JC120

• Like 1

So I was in the 1250 group on Sunday, great time. Awesome day for a ride down from Maine, sunny, warm and clear sky''s, and only one traffic jam. Brad walked me through the 1250 cam timing check and reset as well as a shim replacements and oil change. To say I was impressed with the change in engine performance is an understatement, the bike once again performs as it came off the lot, I would have not thought it possible.  Gracious host, and good grill cook even for us not so normal eaters. Brad if you're reading this, I'll give you a call and update, but you were right, engine breathing easier, reving faster, better mileage.  Looking forward to a camhead session maybe before the snow flies if we can schedule. I'll try to post a few photos later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I couldn’t make the Saturday session but Brad graciously gave me a private cam and shim procedure yesterday. Sorry but no photos. Agree with everyone else, at 24K miles they’re minor adjustments but what a difference. I had used Brads excellent videos to drop rear final drive previously and all went well also.