IGNORED

Boots and/or Riding Shoes

Steveyacht

I took my 1250RT down for it's first service yesterday.  It was about 280 miles round trip, not that big a deal, but I ran into a couple of problems.  One was I made the decision to wear my, never worn before, new HJC RPHA 91 helmet.  Big mistake! Gave me headaches.  Note to self, break in in first.

The other problem is with my boots.  I have a pair of TCX touring boots. Tall, over the calf boots with a larger than normal exterior footbox.  I've had these for a three years now, they never gave me a problem on my previous bikes, but on this one, I find it hard to get my toe under the shifter.  When I do, it got hung up there a couple of times.  I have to consciously place my toe under and out.  I've never experienced this before.  (I wear a size 8 before anyone calls me Sasquatch) 

My first question is, will a shift extension help with this problem?  Hope so, as I knee jerk ordered one last night.  Second, I may also decide to buy a nice pair of smaller riding boots or a pair of riding shoes.  Something I can wear to work, walk around all day there, then ride home.  What would y'all suggest I take a look at?

I appreciate any and all comments, suggestions and help!

Thanks in advance, 

Steve

Revzilla has quite a selection of riding boots.   There is a balance between style/comfort/protection that you would need to consider.  https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/reax-fulton-air-riding-shoes

My length of rides factor in which boots I choose to wear. 

For commuting, my work boots (Worx brand.)  19 miles round trip.  :yes:

For mostly short rides I wear Timberland leather hiking boots (remember the balance?)  When those rides involve a lot of shifting (mountains,) I can feel it in my left foot as the regular hiking boots do not have any added protection for the shift lever.  At the end of the day, I can sense the feel of where the lever made contact.

For longer rides (multiple days) I have some Tourmaster boots, which cover slightly above the ankles.  They have more than adequate riding protection, including a pad over the shifting foot.  But, they have minimal foot cushioning.   After about a year of using them, I can feel the insoles getting tired.  They are not all that comfortable for walking about, but I chose them for riding more than walking anyway.   I ended up using comfort gel inserts to make them more cushion-y.   I have not had the chance to use them longer than a few short rides yet.   Note: they add a little height, which causes other comfort issues such as bringing the foot closer to the top of the inside.   Balance.

Eventually, I may be in the market to get another pair of riding boots.  I would want a pair that has that dual purpose of riding/walking and will get something with a BOA function, found on my work boots; no laces, no velcro straps to contend with.

Check out Umberto Luce. This is what they call a motorcycle sneaker. Extremely  comfortable for all day wear. These are the brand I’ll be buried in 😂 

2088D3C2-139D-4483-A00F-3CC0D64C2E92.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

For cold weather I have BMW All-around boots because I can fit heated insoles comfortably

For hot weather, BMW airflow boots

I picked up a pair of Belstaff "Resolve" boots this spring.  I love them as my almost all the time boot.  While I'm not planning long hikes, getting to a stop now I am very comfortable to walk perhaps up to a mile.  I got the brown because it complements the brown leather of my 719 accessories on the 1250RT-I know vanity.

Belstaff is a nice product, I have two jackets and they are probably life time jackets we will keep when we no longer ride.  The boots were a nice find.  

IMHO MC boots aren’t comfortable and a real issue if you had to walk miles on a breakdown. Most don’t have Vibram soles and are slippery IMHO…. So I wear these. I can wear them anywhere as they are comfy, waterproof, and the Vibram soles help with traction. I know they don’t have as good of support as some MC boots, but my feet are always dry and comfortable 

69698566-C1E9-421B-AD77-3E45E8C421C5.jpeg

• Like 1

Steve - 

You may just need to get used to the new shifter. 

When I first got my new 23R1250RT, I noticed the shifter was hard to get under as well. But after awhile (OK, a 2700 mile trip), I got used to the shifter and don't even notice it anymore. 

There were a couple things to get used to and this was just one of them. 

Jim

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I'm not familiar, but is the shifter adjustable so that it can be raised a bit to fit your boot better?

Hosstage is correct you can adjust the shifter.  Be careful with the treads, one works in the opposite direction. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, strataj said:

Hosstage is correct you can adjust the shifter.  Be careful with the treads threads, one works in the opposite direction. 

I’ve run into a similar issue with my 04RT. I’ve got the linkage bottomed out in the “swivel eye” that mounts to the tranny shift shaft but the lever isn’t high enough with my new boots. I’m going to pull it apart again, cut a few threads off the end, cut new threads lower on the link adjuster bolt & pull that lever up another 1/8” or so which will be perfect. 

• Like 1