IGNORED

Boxflyer will be in Sparta, NC for the Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept. 20-24, 2024

Indy Dave

FARTLogo.thumb.png.bafda1fdd9633dcd7503f1c9824bc50f.png

FARTing With Boxflyer

Any and all things Boxflyer related to Sparta, NC'S 2023 Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) Event ONLY. Questions, scheduling? Ask the man himself right here!

BOXFLYER-dd-1transcrop1-2.thumb.png.4ce6aa9b0a4dd41bbd960726fbf5bd12.png

• Like 4
Motorhead1977

Most excellent! We're arriving on Monday 9/18 and will need a valve timing check and adjustment etc. LMK Brad. 👍

• Indy Dave changed the title to Boxflyer will be in Sparta, NC for the Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept. 20-24, 2024

Brad, I will be arriving on Wednesday. Will need Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks on my R1250GS. I may be able to come on Tuesday if that would work better for you. 

Hi Chris,

The early in the week the better, so if we can make it work on Tuesday that would be great. 
Brad

• 1 month later...

I've just added @HalfBrit to the schedule for Sat 9/23 for Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks.

He's still working full time, so will not be able to attend any of the other events at this FART, but will be looking forward to joining us in the future.

Brad

• Like 2

@Motorhead1977 Tom Nicotera and Amy trailered his 2020 R1250RS to my house today so I could complete the 12k "First Look" Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks...after we did the engine, and reset the Adaptive Values, he did a test ride around the block and proclaimed..."It sounds like a DIGITAL CLOCK"....number 145 of Cam Timing/Valve Clearance Checks is in the books.

Tom was originally scheduled to have this work done while in Sparta, so now I'm not so rushed to complete other services.  Thanks Tom!

Tentative Maintenance Activities for FART 2023

Cam Timing and Valve Checks (all labor FREE...and you PARK for FREE)

1. @Lone_RT_rider Shawn Goulding 1250 (Sunday 9/17)

2. @greiffster Michael Greiff 1200

@Matts_12GS Matt  1200

4.  @Brad Snodgrass Brad Snodgrass 1200

5.  @Chris K  Chris Kenny 1250 (Wed 9/20)

6.  @HalfBrit David Taylor 1200 (Sat 9/23 only)

7.  @Ron M Ron Moalli 1250 (time permitting)

Tires and/or Bearings and Spacers

1.  @TSConver Shawn Convers F/R 1250GSA

Bikes I'd like to look at:

1.  2010-2013 CamHead R1200  I would like to examine the RH side of the engine.  I've found a potential failure point with the RH Upper Cam Chain Guide.  If someone would let me pop off the RH Valve Cover it will only take about 15 minutes.

2.  2005-2013 HexHead and CamHead R1200.  I would like to examine front Wheel Bearings and Axle Spacers for DAMAGE and unusual WEAR.

3.  2022-2023 ShiftHead R1250 bikes.  I'd like to have you pull up to my trailer after you have finished a couple hours of riding so I can listen to the LH Cam Chain Tensioner for possible Excessive Chain Noise.

i-9GpQ84F-M.jpgi-9jKQRMk-M.png

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Brad, i would like to get in the que for a F/R tire change on my S1000 XR. I would need to ship tires to you if you don’t mind hauling them to Sparta. I am capable of doing the tire change on NOMAR, but would need to use your tools and perhaps weights to balance. I can also bring a 34 mm socket for the rear axle nut if needed. I’m arriving Wednesday and need to change tires before returning home Sunday. Let me know if that can be accomplished, Bob Conley 

Hi Bob,

Either send the tires to me or send them to the hotel…let me know and I’ll send you my address if that’s what you want to do. 
Brad

Brad, I’m more comfortable sending them to you than the motel. I have your address in Middletown. I will text you when tires are ordered. I would expect delivery before 9/15. 
Do you have 34mm socket?

4 minutes ago, randy said:

Do you have a  Trailmax Mission  front

i need one for 2013 WC-GS

Hi Randy,

I have very little inventory of tires that are not already purchased by the scheduled install owner at FART.

Send whatever you want to the Motel for your install during our time at the Appalachian Inn.

Brad

Edited by Boxflyer
spelling

We're getting close to the event and I wanted to publish a tentative schedule for Maintenance Activities in Sparta, NC.

I will be arriving Monday 9/18 sometime around noon and setting up my area Monday afternoon.

After that, this is what I have penciled in so far...subject to weather and other events beyond my control...I'm always standing by to assist with emergency issues that arise.

Firmed up Maintenance Activities for FART 2023 (as of 9/7/23)

9/19 Tues AM -- OPEN

Tues PM -- @Matts_12GS R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

9/20 Wed AM -- OPEN

Wed PM -- @Chris K R1250 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

9/21 Thurs AM -- @Brad Snodgrass R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

Thurs PM -- @bababang R1250 GSA Rear Final Drive and Spline Service

9/22 Fri AM -- @Ron M R1250 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

Fri PM -- OPEN 

9/23 Sat AM -- @HalfBrit R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check 

Sat PM -- OPEN 

9/21 Thurs PM @randy  R1200GS front tire 

Time/Day TBD @Wait Apex  S1000XR Front and Rear tires

9/22 Fri PM @TSConver R1250 GSA  Front and Rear tires or 9/21 Thurs PM second option

Bikes I'd like to look at:

1.  2010-2013 CamHead R1200  I would like to examine the RH side of the engine.  I've found a potential failure point with the RH Upper Cam Chain Guide.  If someone would let me pop off the RH Valve Cover it will only take about 15 minutes.

This is not necessary any longer.  The reason for this initial request was the discovery of internal damage to a CamHead during routine Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks on a particular bike...the cause has been identified.

2.  2005-2013 HexHead and CamHead R1200.  I would like to examine front Wheel Bearings and Axle Spacers for DAMAGE and unusual WEAR.

3.  2022-2023 ShiftHead R1250 bikes.  I'd like to have you pull up to my trailer after you have finished a couple hours of riding so I can listen to the LH Cam Chain Tensioner for possible Excessive Chain Noise.

Please contact me if I missed you or you think you need something attended to on your bike during FART 2023.

Brad Smith

• Like 1

Slight revision after some conversation with the primary players that are scheduled for bike service at FART.

Firmed up Maintenance Activities for FART 2023 (as of 9/8/23)

9/19 Tues AM -- OPEN

Tues PM -- @Matts_12GS R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

9/20 Wed AM -- OPEN

Wed PM -- @Chris K R1250 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

9/21 Thurs AM -- @Brad Snodgrass R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

Thurs PM -- @greiffster R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

9/22 Fri AM -- @Ron M R1250 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

Fri PM --  @bababang R1250 GSA Rear Final Drive and Spline Service

9/23 Sat AM -- @HalfBrit R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check 

Sat PM -- OPEN 

9/21 Thurs PM @randy  R1200GS front tire 

9/???   TBD @Wait Apex  S1000XR Front and Rear tires

9/22 Fri PM @TSConver R1250 GSA  Front and Rear tires or 9/21 Thurs PM second option

Being Flexible is TOO ridged...you need to be fluid...maybe even GASEOUS!  (appropriate for FART!)

Brad

Edited by Boxflyer
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

so my Uncle Tom bike is a 2013 R1200GS  if that is of interest to you.  Plus I will have the front tire off anyway.
Let me know if this works for you.

2 minutes ago, randy said:

so my Uncle Tom bike is a 2013 R1200GS  if that is of interest to you.  Plus I will have the front tire off anyway.
Let me know if this works for you.

Yes Randy,

It's on the schedule for me to help.

If you want to do the tire change yourself, you can do it earlier if you like.

Brad

Yes I will take care of the tire, no Problem.  you had posted you needed to look at spacers and wheel bearings I think for a 2005-2013 bike.  I was not sure if my Uncle Tom bike would work. 

Never mind, my Uncle Tom bike is a WC bike.  not what you are looking for.

Since the 2013 year for GS could be either CamHead or WetHead, it was intended to be a "look-see" at the earlier generation.

No pressing reason to look at the WetHead axle spacer since it's not made of Aluminum...which is a real problem on the years I mentioned in either HexHead or CamHead bikes.

On 9/8/2023 at 5:11 PM, Boxflyer said:

Since the 2013 year for GS could be either CamHead or WetHead, it was intended to be a "look-see" at the earlier generation.

No pressing reason to look at the WetHead axle spacer since it's not made of Aluminum...which is a real problem on the years I mentioned in either HexHead or CamHead bikes.

Correct my Uncle Tom bike is a wethead.  I missed you wanted Hexhead/camhead.  

I have one more addition to the schedule of Maintenance for Sparta.

@OWA is going to have Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks on 9/20 Wed AM.

9/19 Tues AM -- OPEN

Tues PM -- @Matts_12GS R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

9/20 Wed AM -- @OWA R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

Wed PM -- @Chris K R1250 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

9/21 Thurs AM -- @Brad Snodgrass R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

Thurs PM -- @greiffster R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

9/22 Fri AM -- @Ron M R1250 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check

Fri PM --  @bababang R1250 GSA Rear Final Drive and Spline Service

9/23 Sat AM -- @HalfBrit R1200 Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Check 

Sat PM -- OPEN 

9/21 Thurs PM @randy  R1200GS front tire 

9/???   TBD @Wait Apex  S1000XR Front and Rear tires

9/22 Fri PM @TSConver R1250 GSA  Front and Rear tires or 9/21 Thurs PM second option

• Like 2

Boxflyer, you can take me off the tire change schedule for the S1000 XR. Good Samaritan helped me lever a new pair on. Thanks for all you do. 

• Like 2

Just a reminder about payments for consumables and such at FART.

I am avoiding the use of PayPal and Venmo because there is some concern about tax reporting to the IRS.

So, if you are getting service done, and need to pay for consumables, tires, tools, whatever I have this event, please make arrangements for payments to be by personal or bank check, cash or other "non-electronic" options.

Thanks for your consideration.

Brad

• Like 2