IGNORED

quick question re front axle grease

steve68

Just got a new tire put on front wheel, now I have to put wheel back on bike.  Do I NEED to use axle grease?  I can get some if necessary but don't want a whole tub if not necessary.  I have some left over spline lube from the clutch replacement I did recently - can I use that?

1 minute ago, steve68 said:

Just got a new tire put on front wheel, now I have to put wheel back on bike.  Do I NEED to use axle grease?  I can get some if necessary but don't want a whole tub if not necessary.  I have some left over spline lube from the clutch replacement I did recently - can I use that?

Afternoon steve68

Spline lube probably wouldn't be my first choice but is better than nothing.

A good Lithium based chassis grease is better (like from a grease gun).

A very thin layer, just enough to protect the axle from oxidizing & seal it  plus a little on the big part of the axle & on the spacer to protect the seals.

I think I used anti-sieze on an axle one time. That stuff isn't wearing off, drying out, allowing anything past it, I can tell you that. It clings like nothing else on earth. It also gets everywhere.

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

It clings like nothing else on earth. It also gets everywhere.

Lol. I can vouch for this. I’m a transport refrigeration mechanic & I encourage our guys to use this stuff, we’re up in the northeast & it’s nice to be able to get things apart when need be. But man oh man, I can’t count the number of times I’ve had a smudge of it on my face & left work with it there! It’s like a game, nobody tells anyone they’re walking around with a silver or copper stripe on their face 😂

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1