IGNORED

Air filters

doc47

Does anyone know if there's ever been a head-to-head, scientifically conducted test of various air filters? I'm particularly wondering how the K&N reusable filter compares to BMW's OEM filters, especially the paper ones. Moshe, do you have any info on this?

37 minutes ago, doc47 said:

Does anyone know if there's ever been a head-to-head, scientifically conducted test of various air filters? I'm particularly wondering how the K&N reusable filter compares to BMW's OEM filters, especially the paper ones. Moshe, do you have any info on this?

Afternoon doc47

In almost all cases the OEM paper is better than the K&N, but that is dry intake air for normal riding. 

The oiled K&N is usually a lot better at handling water intrusion.

It's also a pain in the butt to properly clean & re-oil a K&N but they are reusable if properly cleaned & oiled. 

To me it's is a trade off that needs to be decided on a case to case basis. 

On my off-road dirt bikes I usually do run a K&N or similar oiled mesh or oiled foam as I do numerous water crossings &  lots of sand, also  I can clean & reuse it after every dusty dirty watery ride. I probably give up some dry air fine particle filtering but gain wet condition usage & reusability. 

Probably the best would be an OEM or similar paper filter with a  lightly oiled foam wrap over the paper filter. 

On an off-road 4 wheel vehicle a Donaldson pre-cleaner can be installed before the air filter but there is no room on a motorcycle to mount one.  

I run Donaldson pre-cleaners on my tractors & lawn equipment & those things really work excellent. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting, dirtrider. Thanks. I just wonder if there has ever been a well-constructed, head-to-head test. It wouldn't be that difficult to design.

We enter the season of rain and mud, here in West Africa, so the K&N filter donated by South Sound Cycles should be the right one.

Project Farm YouTube channel….

Air filter test

My comment:  this is not a peer reviewed scholarly journal.  The sample size is small.  We don’t really know how precise and repeatable the metrics are.  But I think to the extent that there are large differences in performance, the results are likely to represent real differences in the brands tested.