IGNORED

OEM Large Topcase Won't Open

Bob_1978

I just got back to Seattle from a trip to Lake Louise BC.  On the first day out, while approaching the Canadian border, I pulled over to get my passport out of the topcase and it wouldn't open!

Fearing disaster, I was able to at least release the topcase from the frame.  After banging the detached case against the ground a few times I was finally able to get the latch handle to pop.  Fearing a repeat, once I reattached the case to the bike, I spent the rest of the trip riding with the top latch open.  The weight of the lid was enough to ensure nothing flew out, and despite riding through some serious rain, everything stayed dry.

This wasn't caused from overpacking the case -- there was plenty of room in there.  Assuming it's a problem with the core lock, is that a part that can be ordered separately?  Is replacing the core lock a DIY job?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Bob Mac

You might try pushing in on the latch lever as you push the lock button in to unlock, as the mechanism ages this usually works.

12 hours ago, Bob_1978 said:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Bob Mac

Yesterday on a Facebook group there was a post from a guy who had diasassembled his top case to obtain access to the underlying mechanisms. He fixed his problem. I suggest you do the same. I queried how difficult it was and his response was that you just need to unscrew a couple of bolts. The outer shell comes completely off and exposes the inner compartment with the mechanisms.

Here is a link to the Facebook post.

cheers