IGNORED

R1200RT

Fergie

What is procedure for head torque and valve adjustment on a R1200RT. I have a CD ordered but will not arrive before I go on a trip and I'm over on the 600 mile service. Thanks

Hi Wayne. Do yourself a favor and take it to your dealer for the first service. This one is critical and is best handled by a trained and experienced BMW mechanic. Tackle the 6000 if you like, but leave the 600 to the dealer.

Hi Wayne. Do yourself a favor and take it to your dealer for the first service. This one is critical and is best handled by a trained and experienced BMW mechanic. Tackle the 6000 if you like, but leave the 600 to the dealer.

Limecreek, thanks for your concern. I "think" I'm qualified to do the service as I've built race engines for 18 years including building Indy engines for 3 different teams. My CD has not arrived and I am way over on mileage. Thanks again.

aggieengineer

Valve tappet clearance: .30mm exhaust, .15mm intake (cold engine)

Retorque head nuts (4, diagonally of course):Closing torque: 20Nm, final torque: 180 degrees.

At my 600 mile service the shop picked up on two 'recall' faults that had to be dealt with - one of which was related to the ABS system. So there are some benefits to be had in not 'doing it yourself' I guess

Thanks everyone. smile.gif Now I can do the service and go on my trip this weekend. Graeme, I will stop at a dealer next week and have him scan it. I don't have any of the issues that I've read here and I'm afraid to have any updates done because of the problems some have had after the updates. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again. clap.gif

fergie,

Make sure you complete loosening of the nut, the intial 20NM and then 180 degree rotation on each nut one at a time, This way you will not upset the head gasket seal. Also the factory recommends oiling each head nut after it is loosened to facilitate an accurate retorque. You should use an angle torque tool to do this correctly. Also the piston should be TDC in the compression stroke (unloaded valves).

Mudman

2006 R1200RT

Archived