IGNORED

GS type mirrors for RT

bimmers

Has anybody been able to find a way to add GS type mirrors to the 2021 or later RT?

Ihave had them on my old 2006 and 2009 RTs and really liked them. They were a direct fit to the handle base which had the hole like on the GS.

The 21 mirrors are better than the OEM 2006 ones but still they are sitting a little low.

I was looking at the solutions for wet heads but the handlebar design is different and leaves space for a clamp which I don't see how I could accommodate on the new one.

H

12 hours ago, bimmers said:

Has anybody been able to find a way to add GS type mirrors to the 2021 or later RT?

Ihave had them on my old 2006 and 2009 RTs and really liked them. They were a direct fit to the handle base which had the hole like on the GS.

The 21 mirrors are better than the OEM 2006 ones but still they are sitting a little low.

I was looking at the solutions for wet heads but the handlebar design is different and leaves space for a clamp which I don't see how I could accommodate on the new one.

H

Morning bimmers

You might look into the 1250GS master cylinder retaining clamps, I'm not sure on the 2021 but the GS clamps (with mirror mounting post) worked on the older bikes. 

The BMW clamps are kind of expensive but some aftermarket show up on E-Bay from time to time (I'm not sure of their quality though)

Z4BbGGv.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Looking more closely at your setup I wonder if you only replaced one side of the clamp, the one with GS hole in it and the other side is the brake fluid and the clutch reservoirs?

The risers are also interesting though, which ones are those?

You also have a bigger windscreen which I may not need but I have one for my 2006 and it is good when it is cooler outside or raining........... used it during the winter in GA mountains. 

H

Yes I get it how they sit there after looking the parts up at MAX fiche.

what mirrors are those as the ones I had were through bolted and and not screwed in as these newer ones seem to be. Are they GS original mirrors?

H

The risers don't matter for the clamps.  The clamps are identical to the RT clamps but they have the holes for the mirrors.  

The risers are illium works.

This is the original but not sure ow it is seated, is it a threaded stalk with a seated nut below, that's how it used to be.

Anyway I start looking for optional mirrors for GS.

thanks this was of great help.

H

image.png

13 hours ago, bimmers said:

This is the original but not sure ow it is seated, is it a threaded stalk with a seated nut below, that's how it used to be.

Anyway I start looking for optional mirrors for GS.

thanks this was of great help.

H

Morning bimmers

The info I have shows the adapter threads into the GS clamp using 10x1.5 right hand metric threads, the mirror threads into the top of the adapter & is held tight to the adapter with a locking nut,  I don't know what the actual BMW GS mirror threads are. 

8va0aWT.jpg

Remember the upper threads are right-hand too, so to loosen the locknut, you need to turn it the opposite side too, for what I remember. And both sides are the same. Typically, only the right-hand side mirror has reverse threads, so in case you fall, the mirror loosens, rather than breaking. Guess BMW was too lazy to do that, but in that case, why the heck reverse threads on both sides??? Weird.

Ok so you used an adapter to fit it in. Where did you source that one? 

I have to go through my stash of parts and see what I have left over from old bikes. I did replace mirrors on my C Montauk bike, but gave away most parts, maybe I can find something that works.

Amazing how we find solutions one way or another.

H