IGNORED

Is anybody else bothered ...

bwr

... by the annoying whining of the servo-assisted brakes? I don't hear it when riding; but, when stopped at a light on an incline and I have to apply the brakes to keep from rolling away the high-pitched "whirrrrrrrrrr" is obnoxious.

Maybe I just like complaining. eek.gif

Julie and I were on Jamie's borrowed RT on Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd., just off the Pacific Coast Highway. It was rainy and we were surrounded by deep fog.

As we decended this steep hill, we saw a deer in the distance. I stopped, turned the engine off, and took this shot (sorry--crappy camera):

deerside.jpg

I wanted to get closer, so I turned the power on without starting the engine (it's the only way to have decent brakes on an 1150). Unfortunately the dang servos made so much noise that eventually the deer looked our way with those big ears.

deerfront.jpg

Argh. smile.gif

Paul Mihalka
... by the annoying whining of the servo-assisted brakes? I don't hear it when riding; but, when stopped at a light on an incline and I have to apply the brakes to keep from rolling away the high-pitched "whirrrrrrrrrr" is obnoxious.
If that's the biggest problem you have, you are doing good... smirk.gif

Never thought I'd be glad to ONLY have the complexity of my 1100. Hell, these brakes work too well now, can't imagine servo assist. Must be like milking a nervous mouse.

Bob

Yea I've caught myself wondering some days, 'umm can i just turn that off?'.

Think of it as a feature or characteristic.

I've found that most people are amazed at what that sound is. That part is pretty entertaining.

"uhh whats that noise?"

'oh this? "squeeze" "whrrrr", oh, well, thats the manual mechanical module computerized control system'.

"huh?"

'The breaks' grin.gif

I don't hear the servos with Al's ear molds.

I lived in Maine for awhile and a train whent past every morning at 3:15. Bothered me for awhile, than a funny thing happened, I stopped hearing it......unless it was late

I'm kinda entertained by the whirlygig gyromotor dooflunky.

If I get bored at a long light,I'll give the lever a squeeze just to hear it.

But then,I'm easily amused. crazy.gif

I wear a helmet and therefore cannot hear the servo directly, but I did notice the other day that while riding in a dense forest area and losing my XM signal, my Autocom picked up a whine everytime I put on the brakes.

As for scaring away deer, I would view that as a positive feature.

Unfortunately the dang servos made so much noise that eventually the deer looked our way with those big ears.

Wouldn't it be great if the noisy servo frightened off all deer so that we didn't have to worry about hitting them?! smile.gif

hcmiller92

I just got a new R1150GSA. My '96 RT didn't have the servo. I was a little surprised when I first heard the noise after I picked up the bike last week. I love the noise (and the bike). clap.gif

Curt

Unfortunately the dang servos made so much noise that eventually the deer looked our way with those big ears.

I know you're no fan of BMW servo assisted brakes David, but that's weak man, weak. tongue.gif
russell_bynum

Hmmm...I never noticed it on Lisa's RS or my RT.

Maybe you've got a defective bike?

smirk.gif

Now Russell, that's just plain mean! grin.gif

(OP - His and Lisa's bike doesn't have the servo brakes.)

chasgrips45

I owned a 04 R1150RT ,sold it because the damn servos were aggraveted me so much,who needs "power brakes" on a motorcycle? I`ve got a 96 R1100rs ,with abs ,it works ,is not intrusive,& I`m a happy camper. BMW gave us a solution to a question unasked!IMHO. clap.gif

Paul Mihalka
I owned a 04 R1150RT ,sold it because the damn servos were aggraveted me so much,who needs "power brakes" on a motorcycle?
I won't discuss your taste and opinion, you have a right to them - but why did you buy it in the first place?
russell_bynum

Now Russell, that's just plain mean! grin.gif

(OP - His and Lisa's bike doesn't have the servo brakes.)

grin.gif

I can play little songs at stop lights by varying pressure ont he level. Cagers really enjoy the sounds ..

I do the same thing. grin.gif It's like revving the throttle but quieter. Quiet servos saves lives
I understand chicks dig the "servo-sound". cool.gif

Dang! Now I want a servo on my 1100! Only if it costs over $200 though. Anybody make any billet servos with cooling fins? How do I wire it? Do I need a relay for my servo. What button is best to make it work and how do I wire that?

Hey Chas. What's up w the "Thud" avatar?

Bob

1)Why do they use the word "evo" in conjunction with the servo-assisted brakes? I always thought that was a Harley word.

2)I don't want to start a war, but what specifically is it about the newer bikes with the servos that people hate? I thought I had read some posts where the rider complained about the ABS kicking in after going over a bump, things like that?

I kind of like it...sort of has that Star Wars thing going for it.

The ST looks like something out of Star Wars too grin.gif

And actually if you look at the brochure for the ST, and yes I actually have one.. in the umm... safe, heh. Mind you I lead a perfectly normal life tongue.gif Anyway, there is a picture in it that reminds me of the Alien, or something.

AlienST.jpg

heehee grin.gif (sorry bout the hijack!)

I hate the noise, and I really hate the abruptness of the brakes. I had hoped I would get used to it, but after 9 months and 4K miles, I still hate the brakes and see no reason for them.

GW

I may be a little slow, but isn't the reason for the brakes to slow down or stop on occasion?

I've been known to drag my feet though.

i enjoy it so much that I've routed the beautiful sound thru my speakers and "cranked-it-up" thumbsup.gif

It sounds sweeter than a V-twin with no exhaust (uh hum ..... if you like that kinda thing)

Yea, it gets a little bothersome but at least I know they're working. When people ask, I tell 'em it's a "Robo Bike"

clap.gif

photojournalyst

Please correct me for my ignorance, but what are the benifits of having the servo assisted over the regular old fashioned brakes? And is this an add on you pay for, or something that all the new bikes have?

Servo power assisted brakes have been standard on most BMW bikes since 2002.

ISFA the benefits (or lack of) I'm not even going to go there myself today. People probably argues the same thing about power brakes on cars in 1954.

People probably argues the same thing about power brakes on cars in 1954.

That was a cheap shot, especially under the guise of "not me, I'm above all this; I'm not going to argue." grin.gif

In your spare time at work this morning, do a little calculation for me, charting the correlation between vehicle weight and available body strength.

Next, show me how BMW motorcycles compare in stopping distances with other bikes that do not utilize "power brakes."

And next time, if you aren't going to get into an argument, don't get into an argument. tongue.gif

SAAB93driver

As I understand the integral and partially integral brakes from some of the original literature one thing that it will do is real time optimize the front/rear braking proportions based on load in order to minimize stopping distance. Whether that translates into any significant real world improvement in the hands of the everyday rider is unknown to me but the theory at least is sound and a comparison would be useful.

photojournalyst

Having the optimal balance between front and rear brakes makes perfect sense to me, but there would be a learning curve on using the foot pedal and having the front brake activate. I suppose then it would also make sense if you have anti-locks.

People probably argues the same thing about power brakes on cars in 1954.

That was a cheap shot, especially under the guise of "not me, I'm above all this; I'm not going to argue." grin.gif

In your spare time at work this morning, do a little calculation for me, charting the correlation between vehicle weight and available body strength.

Next, show me how BMW motorcycles compare in stopping distances with other bikes that do not utilize "power brakes."

And next time, if you aren't going to get into an argument, don't get into an argument. tongue.gif

Sorry, didn't mean to come off quite that harsh.

My point being that with every new technology, there is aways a certain chorus of how stupid and senseless it is. Right now we're in that phase on motorcycles. New technology that some people go bah-humbug to, some people embrace.

Blue Beemer Dude
I owned a 04 R1150RT ,sold it because the damn servos were aggraveted me so much,who needs "power brakes" on a motorcycle?
I won't discuss your taste and opinion, you have a right to them - but why did you buy it in the first place?

Hey - I had a 96 and then later bought an '04. Didn't realize how STUPID the EVO brakes were until I had owned and ridden it a while. STUPID. The original brakes worked just fine, yes the ABS made a stupid clunky noise everytime you started out, but this EVO crap is for the birds. Did I mention that I think they're stupid? And for what? So that they can over-complicate the maintenance on these things? IMHO if your wrists are so weak that you can't operate a hand lever, you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle anyway. This is the STUPIDEST thing BMW has done to their motorcycles since... since.. argh. EVER. dopeslap.gif

Sometimes I don't make myself very clear. Maybe you can tell that I don't like them?

However, I do like the other improvements made to the RT, and so for now I am putting up with these annoying stupid over-engineered semi-electrically enhancement mechanical monstrosities and keeping the bike.

And I don't like them on the LT either. I had a '99 LT before this one, and it stopped just fine without this crap on it.

Argh.

smirk.gif

Oh, and hey, to the originator of this thread - yes, I wear ear plugs all the time (part of my personal ATGATT) and I can still hear that stupid pump whining and yes it does annoy me a little but so does the huge "WHAM" noise that you get putting the truck into gear. Or changing gears. Good lord, one would almost be tempted to buy loud pipes just to drown out all the noises from these things! crazy.gif

Michael *

* not a fan of the EVO brake system

Hey, Michael -- why don't you just let go and tell us how you really feel! grin.gif

When I posed the question and started this thread, it was half in jest. I really didn't intend to get folks riled up. Sorry 'bout that. It is interesting, however, to see how divided everybody is on this issue.

russell_bynum

Please correct me for my ignorance, but what are the benifits of having the servo assisted over the regular old fashioned brakes?

I think the official word from BMW is that it lets the system get up to max pressure faster. Personally, I don't buy that. Personally...I think the servos are necessary to support the linking/integration feature. Since the system is electronically controlled and supposedly makes some "intelligent" decisions about how much of which brake to apply, having the system pressure controlled by the bike's servos instead of the user's inputs makes sense.

Now...there's a whole different debate about the linking. If you determine that linking isn't necessary, then the servos probably don't make any sense either.

Servo sounds don't bother me because I don't hear them when I'm riding (and listening to my tunes in my helmet speakers), but I am curious about what the acronym "EVO" stands for. I know "EVO" is a common term for the Harley Evolution engine. Can anyone educate me on the BMW meaning of this term? blush.gif

It is interesting, however, to see how divided everybody is on this issue.

I agree! Right now I could care a less about EVO/SERVO/ABS/ESPN/CNN/MSNBC.. oh umm ingore the last few tongue.gif

I will probably care however when it costs me money to fix it when it breaks. dopeslap.gif

When I purchased my '01 RT, I also was looking at an '02 model. The '02 has much better lighting, more gears, and a bit more "go". I was bothered by the whiny brakes and wondered if something was wrong.

Boffin (I think) admonishes us to "fear no EVO" but I had not had that wisdom at the time.

The price of the bike scared me off a bit too (a g over what I wanted to pay).

I have the '01 and am happy. I used the whine in the '02 as my last excuse, besides dollars, not to buy it.

Archived