IGNORED

I bent and then repaired my front wheel.

pwillikers

I bounced my front wheel off a boulder so I sent it off to Woody's Wheel Works in Denver for repair.

Video of bent wheel:

And, I received the wheel back from Woody's. 

I checked the wheel runout in four dimensions with a dial gauge on a balance stand (left and right side, laterally and radially at the circumference).  All runout measurements were within .5mm.  Very good.  It's all back together and now exhibits no perceptible vibration at speed.  Very nice and smooth.

I recommend Woody's.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
szurszewski

I’m glad woody’s did well for you, but based on your title I was hoping to see a fun diy post maybe involving a blow torch and some precision boulder whacking ;)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I’m glad woody’s did well for you, but based on your title I was hoping to see a fun diy post maybe involving a blow torch and some precision boulder whacking ;)

Yup, me too!

Within several weeks of me picking up my brand new 2002 R1150R ,I hit a grapefruit sized rock with my front wheel .

Naturally the tire went flat instantly . While I was only a mile or so from home ,I considered leaving the bike and walking back home to retrieve 

my truck and trailer. The owner of the house where I stopped came out and asked if there was anything he could do to help .

Figuring I had nothing to lose ,I asked him if he had a sledge hammer .

Returning within minutes with said implement of destruction ,he handed it over and watched as I removed the rear wheel .

It took quite a few swings to bend the bead back over to the point where the tire would hold air . 

What surprised me was there was no fracturing of the rim . The replacement was $900.00 . Six week delivery. 

Had I known about that my rim could have bent repaired to a servible and safe state ,I would have definitely gone that route 

szurszewski

It would be interesting to know what the OP’s bill was - my understanding is Woody’s is good, but certainly not cheap. 

Of course, I bet a bmw replacement wheel is more than $900 today. 

$180. for repair (pre-repair estimate was a range from $160.~$260. (IIRC) depending on extent of damage)

$80. shipping ($40. each way and Woody's graciously offers the purchase of a ship_to_them label which saved me $10.)

$260. Total

BMW OEM replacement rim is ~ $1350. (plus tax, shipping etc)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2012 rt that had one flange of the front wheel bent out.  Being cheap like I am, I took a large monkey wrench, adjusted it to the correct opening, and just bent it back to shape.  I have the necessary tools to check the runout of the wheel and it was fine.  All is good but I am telling you those wheel flanges are strong.