IGNORED

New Helmet - Should I Re-Install My Sena SMH10B BT Intercom? Yes/No. Something Better?

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

After 9 years got a new Helmet. I know too long but it was in great shape and the padding and fit was still OK, however it was getting slightly looser.... time for new lid.

I took out my the Sena SMH10B out of my old helmet and have not put it into the new one...

70% of my riding is BT music. 30% no music just the purrr of 1150cc boxer and (a little) wind.

The Sena speakers are NOT hard against ears so there is some air leak. Not the best of sound but OK. With a R1150RT (with aftermarket windscreen) it is pretty quiet. If I lower windscreen there is more wind noise and listening pleasure is reduced to barely acceptable.  Wind screen UP it is OK but still not Hi-Fi....

90% of my riding is solo or with others who don't have a BT intercom.  Having that mic in my face is OK but if not using it, why? It is in the way. BTW I am rocking full coverage modular helmet. If I flip it up to have a sip of water I have to lower the mic... none of that is super convenient. 

So the alternative is ear buds wire or wireless, which I have done in the past. Most compact wireless BT headsets don't have long battery life, 4 hours max. Fine for local but cross country not so much. Wired ear buds works but my new phone has no phone jack  (although I think I can use a USB Type C headphone?). 

QUESTION..... Should I Re-install the Sena and use it as I did before (pretty good not great for music and can answer phone calls).

So Bike to bike intercom is nice but did not use it as much as I thought I would. If I am riding with others they don't have a intercom or it may not be compatible.  Music quality just OK. Answering phone or making calls? No, not a priority and to be avoided. 

What would you do. I am guessing I can get + $100 for the compete Sena system eBay... 

19 minutes ago, gmcjetpilot said:

. Should I Re-install the Sena …

No.  Buy a Cardo Pack Talk Bold with JBL speakers.

gmcjetpilot
On 6/13/2023 at 3:23 PM, Cap said:

No.  Buy a Cardo Pack Talk Bold with JBL speakers.

Oh my nice and yet a bit expensive.  I see them for $261 amazon as best price, but as high as $376. The ones for $107 is just a 2nd helmet kit. 

I don't know. if I even want a bike to bike or rider to passenger intercom. with a mic. I appreciate the tip.  I went to their web site. Lots of products.

The other choice is helmet speakers only with BT or wired connection.  These are popular and cheap, I A S U S Premium Audio Motorcycle Helmet Speakers. Under $100. I solved the 3.5mm jack issue for my Samsung phone. The USB adapter is $5. I may go this way at first. I can sell my old intercom and get the dedicated speakers music input no Com.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION... I have fairing with provisions for speakers. I have a big glove box to handle an audio amp, say go with 200 watts RMS per channel.  I can just crank the toons to "11" because after all 11 is one better than 10.... Ha ha.  I am kidding. The Brothers in my area drive around with stereo full blast playing bass heavy rap "music" that rattles my house windows....  I so very much love that. ha ha. 

I have had two SENA’s. I bought the first one because my riding buddies have them, I like to listen to Pandora, NCAAF, and thought I needed to be able to take phone calls. IMHO sound quality sucks. It wore out and I bought a SENA 20S EVO. The sound quality and volume level got worse not better. Now I never take phone calls while riding. If it rings I ignore it until I stop. It’s pretty rare I use the intercom. I personally think SENA units suck. I’ve not owned a Cardio so that will be my next one when this one wears out

I recommend deciding what you really want and what you can live without. I no longer want a microphone or wired earplugs. I tried Bose wireless and found them to interfere with comfort and I never got them to sync with Nav V, phone, and BMW radio. 

I strongly advocate for earbuds to protect your hearing.  Mine are wired.  I'm using S-Plugs, the wife just got Fuze. 

My phone also has no 3.5mm jack anymore.  So, I got these:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5D31N5V?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

When I want to ride with just music that works fine.  If I'm on a trip and running gps too, or there are others who want to hook up, I run through my Cardo which does have a 3.5mm jack.  

With earbuds you can keep your music at conversational levels, and reduce overall helmet noise.  

I have S-Plugs and they are great.

I have used Senas and just recently conferted to Cardo Packtalk Edge.  But, you can't go wrong with either.

Pair your phone to the headset and you can hear all your music and you can use the 3.5 mm aux on the Sena 20/30/50 series headsets.  On the Cardo, I have a splitter for my s-plugs and radar detector and that works well but if I wan to use speakers I have to find the connection inside the helmet padding and switch them over.  The Senas were great for this as if you unplugged the aux in port, it activated the helmet speakers.. plug back in and it's just the ear buds.

I'm going to put my 30k dual pack up for sale soon.  Selling as the Cardos are advertised as waterproof and the Senas are not, just resistant which is usually good enough.  I'm not good enough with good enough lol