IGNORED

Riding Season coming to an end

Skywagon

Well I know I’m going to catch heck from Roug. It’s that time of the year where ATGATT and our heat in Texas cause me to mothball the bike until ~September.  Days below 100 are gone for now and in a couple weeks temps will range 100-110. Chunk in 80-95% humidity and it’s miserable. That takes all the fun of it away. This weekend will be a full fluid change, fill with non-ethanol, put the cover on and mope around for a few months. 351D6F33-7E2A-442A-AC49-42CF2BA15886.thumb.jpeg.b04804b7b9fbce184ac434a4323d3052.jpeg

• Sad 1

He’s out on the high seas somewhere so you’re safe for now.  :) And, it’d take seven of us to bust your cookies as well as one Roug, so we’ll just leave it alone! :D Buy yourself an FPV Drone, that will fill your time between fishing trips. ;)

edit

oh, a review, sure. :)

Link

it is the same for me, I try to tell non riders at my office and church the worst riding season is June - August, the best is September-May

Just to hot and humid in Atlanta.  But weekend rides to the mountains are still viable during the summer months.

• Like 1

One of the advantages of EV is the lack of ICE heat (see what I did there?):rofl:

My old 1150RT was miserable when temps got above 90°

I live two hours from the Blue Ridge Parkway and the mountains of NC/VA. If I leave early in the morning, I can enjoy the trip in comfortable weather. Once you get to the mountains it is usually less humidity and about 10 degrees cooler. I will ride around for the day and be back for supper. That said, the ride back is horrible as it is usually mid to upper nineties with high humidity. But all in all, the day is worth it.

Calvin  (no socks)

Same here in Florida... Usually go out early and return by 10:00 am. Heading to the UN next month with truck and Super Sherpa for some cooler riding.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Get you some of this…

72EDE144-412E-4E06-B4E4-92EDC5A13989.jpeg

I’m not trying to make light of your situation but merely pointing out that ICE adds to the misery.
SoCal gets that kind of heat as well but thankfully not as much duration.  

• 4 weeks later...

It is so nice here this time of year.    Time for an ATGATT ride… uh no. Bike still hibernating until October 

313A4094-11D7-47DD-87A2-EE40EF5AABAE.jpeg

• Smile 1
  • Sad 2
roadscholar

Global warming? Maybe not, one July in about 1979 was driving from Colorado back to Fla, stopped for gas in Wichita Falls and it was painful to breath for a minute, 115*. You think it's hot here, I keep about 20 cities on my phone for weather, one of them is Abu Dhabi because an F1 race is run there every year, the highs this week range from 118 to 120, everyday it's over 115. 

20 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Wichita Falls and it was painful to breath for a minute, 115*

I remember that. I was driving from Dallas to Houston to see my  girlfriend - future bride. It was 113 and the air conditioner on my 1966 Chevrolet took a dump. Opening the windows was like sticking your head in a furnace. 

roadscholar
37 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I remember that. I was driving from Dallas to Houston to see my  girlfriend - future bride. It was 113 and the air conditioner on my 1966 Chevrolet took a dump. Opening the windows was like sticking your head in a furnace. 

I was driving a Volvo 240 wagon (4 cyl) flat towing a highly modified 73 911S back from the national Porsche meet at Snowmass, luckily the AC worked great (the Porsche was black and AC was disconnected). Upon further reflection it was 1978 so I'm guessing 115 wasn't that abnormal : )

On 6/13/2023 at 8:37 AM, Skywagon said:

Well I know I’m going to catch heck from Roug. It’s that time of the year where ATGATT and our heat in Texas cause me to mothball the bike until ~September.  Days below 100 are gone for now and in a couple weeks temps will range 100-110. Chunk in 80-95% humidity and it’s miserable. That takes all the fun of it away. This weekend will be a full fluid change, fill with non-ethanol, put the cover on and mope around for a few months. 351D6F33-7E2A-442A-AC49-42CF2BA15886.thumb.jpeg.b04804b7b9fbce184ac434a4323d3052.jpeg

C’mon man, I was in an area where heat and humidity were both fighting to see which would hit 100 first. 

Since my primary work on this trip was actually a very small part. I got to be a part of the manual labor group,….I dig that soooo much more than the white collar work of my primary. With that, not a single piece of clothing stayed dry during the 12 hour shifts, indoor work at that. Sweating so much that you weren’t pissing anything and pumping fluids like the ocean was running outta water. 

Lighten up on the ATGATT and extend the run for the year, heat is good, but, cool/cold is much gooder😁. Get the speed up and let the Summer Breeze “make you feel fine”😉😉

BerettaRacer

Bike has pretty much been parked since I got home from START. Here in So Fla, we not only have the brutal heat, it's interspersed with torrential rain showers. So, no real riding, maybe the occasional trip to the local pub. Keeps a little charge in the battery and puts a little fresh fuel thru the injectors.

1 hour ago, BerettaRacer said:

Bike has pretty much been parked since I got home from START. Here in So Fla, we not only have the brutal heat, it's interspersed with torrential rain showers. So, no real riding, maybe the occasional trip to the local pub. Keeps a little charge in the battery and puts a little fresh fuel thru the injectors.

No need to let the rain stop ya.  I've been in a hail storm before.  When I started getting pelted, I stopped, was the only time I stopped riding in a storm.  Waited a few minutes, figured storm wasn't passing quick, so, started back riding getting hit by the hail.

I do notice when I pass someone during a rainstorm, that they give me the wide-eyed look,......I also notice if the bikes acting squirrely, it might be time for new tires:grin:

BerettaRacer
15 hours ago, Rougarou said:

No need to let the rain stop ya.  I've been in a hail storm before.  When I started getting pelted, I stopped, was the only time I stopped riding in a storm.  Waited a few minutes, figured storm wasn't passing quick, so, started back riding getting hit by the hail.

I do notice when I pass someone during a rainstorm, that they give me the wide-eyed look,......I also notice if the bikes acting squirrely, it might be time for new tires:grin:

Ha, last fall finishing my 3100 mi/15 day trip down the east coast, including FART, I drove the last 6 hrs thru hurricane Ian, and of course, by that late in the trip my tires were pretty much bald.

But seriously, the torrential downpours we get here are virtually impossible to drive thru, even in a car. Sometimes rains so hard you can't see out the windshield, period, even with wipers on high. Nothing. No road, no other cars, not even your own hood. Wall of water.

On 7/15/2023 at 12:01 PM, BerettaRacer said:

Ha, last fall finishing my 3100 mi/15 day trip down the east coast, including FART, I drove the last 6 hrs thru hurricane Ian, and of course, by that late in the trip my tires were pretty much bald.

But seriously, the torrential downpours we get here are virtually impossible to drive thru, even in a car. Sometimes rains so hard you can't see out the windshield, period, even with wipers on high. Nothing. No road, no other cars, not even your own hood. Wall of water.

Ya, never, ever rains like that anywhere else in the world, nope, just south Florida gets that kinda rain;)

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

A little toasty today

BF842237-922C-495B-A18E-9BC04E0A4D28.jpeg

Only way to deal with the heat is to embrace and accept it,.....meaning, get out in it,....but stay hydrated;)

People think my thermostat is set too high

image.png.c6474dc5d9c02d65e93ebab718f5a562.png

The bedroom thermostat will eventually make it to 70* by 2200.....but the main, she stays at 77 during the day,....why, 'cause we spend our time outside in the heat.

I worked outside 23 years  I will not sweat in my home. New HVAC system, additional attic insulation, average monthly bill for 3200 sq ft. $190. I’ll take it. 
Like when riding… you can dress for cold but not for heat. 

55 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

I worked outside 23 years  I will not sweat in my home. New HVAC system, additional attic insulation, average monthly bill for 3200 sq ft. $190. I’ll take it. 
Like when riding… you can dress for cold but not for heat. 

Former infantry guy here, many, many years outside, I still don't sweat inside at 77* and I continue to enjoy working outside in heat and cold.   Both HVACs were replaced two years ago, additional insulation was blown in the attic when we got solar.   Working outside in the 90*+ heat and coming into 77* temps, feels just right.  We're outside so much, that Nest thinks we're gone during the day:grin:

I've got solar, average summa electric bill is $25ish with most of that as fees, but still won't drop the temps in the house, 'cept bedtime;)

That is a great bill. Mine had been around $125 until last month. It was $240. This month will be worse. I was payin .085 KWh. Rate just changed to .114. Shopped hard and that was best I could find this time. 

A combination of  high temperatures and poor air quality from our hundreds of forest fires here in Canada has unfortunately reduced my riding to least I have ever had. 

BerettaRacer
On 7/18/2023 at 7:30 PM, Rougarou said:

Ya, never, ever rains like that anywhere else in the world, nope, just south Florida gets that kinda rain;)

Well, since you're the resident weather expert I'll be sure and ask you the next time I need a weather forecast.

21 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Well, since you're the resident weather expert I'll be sure and ask you the next time I need a weather forecast.

Nah, not the weather expert, but if you let me know your weather, I'll let you know if it's rideable;)

• Haha 1